The Student Room Group

Will I get through Medicine using these grades?

I'm in my year 12 year and just got my results today and wanted to apply to Imperial college for medicine. I feel sick thinking I might not make it, because Imperials a dream for me, i dont have the will to start doing my BMAT because the B would lower my chances. Please be honest I just want to know

Biology: A (257 UMS)
Chemistry: A (247 UMS)
Maths: A (220 UMS i think)
Physics: B

Please reply soon I want to cry
Reply 1
Original post by Nina8
I'm in my year 12 year and just got my results today and wanted to apply to Imperial college for medicine. I feel sick thinking I might not make it, because Imperials a dream for me, i dont have the will to start doing my BMAT because the B would lower my chances. Please be honest I just want to know

Biology: A (257 UMS)
Chemistry: A (247 UMS)
Maths: A (220 UMS i think)
Physics: B

Please reply soon I want to cry

You seem to have the required grades, yep!

You'll be better off having a look around in our medicine forum which has a lot of great resources which may answer your question! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ecosse_14
You seem to have the required grades, yep!

You'll be better off having a look around in our medicine forum which has a lot of great resources which may answer your question! :smile:

I have posted there as well, its just the B was so overwhelming and Ive been terribly upset. I missed an A by 2 UMS. On a personal note, do you believe I can be predicted A*'s?
Reply 3
Original post by Nina8
I have posted there as well, its just the B was so overwhelming and Ive been terribly upset. I missed an A by 2 UMS. On a personal note, do you believe I can be predicted A*'s?

I'm afraid I can't answer that question. The medics will be better suited to help you in your thread in the medicine forum :smile:
Those results are great! You can easily push the B into an A at A2, especially as it's only a few UMS off - remember, it's the UMS that matters in the grand scheme of things.
I got an imperial interview with AAAB, and my B was in chemistry!
Imperial dont really care about AS grades.
Reply 6
Original post by joker12345
I got an imperial interview with AAAB, and my B was in chemistry!
Imperial dont really care about AS grades.

Are you serious?? What about GCSE's? ( I have 4 A*'s and 5 A's)
Reply 7
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Those results are great! You can easily push the B into an A at A2, especially as it's only a few UMS off - remember, it's the UMS that matters in the grand scheme of things.

I just wanted to be predicted A*'s so I can stand a chance you know? I'm thinking of dropping Physics would it be wise. Just really a mixed bag of emotions today sorry to be a bother. Thankyou for everything :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Nina8

I'd be more worried about your GCSEs than AS results.
Original post by Nina8
I just wanted to be predicted A*'s so I can stand a chance you know? I'm thinking of dropping Physics would it be wise. Just really a mixed bag of emotions today sorry to be a bother. Thankyou for everything :smile:

Well, only you know what your better subjects are if you struggled the most with Physics, drop it. And it's usually the case that the school predicts you one grade above your AS result - in your case, if you drop Physics they would predict you A*A*A*! Nothing at all to worry about!
Original post by Nina8

I had 11A* at GCSE so I guess that was a swaying point, but honestly, imperial only care about the BMAT if you meet their minimum criteria, which you have.
Reply 11
Original post by joker12345
I had 11A* at GCSE so I guess that was a swaying point, but honestly, imperial only care about the BMAT if you meet their minimum criteria, which you have.

Oh lord I'm screwed then. I'm working SO hard on my BMAT is there ANYTHING i can do about my GCSE's? Ive done lots of work experience Im a prefect at school I just really need to get in.
Reply 12
Original post by Orihime
I'd be more worried about your GCSEs than AS results.

So I shouldn't apply? Is there anything I can do?
Reply 13
Original post by Nina8
So I shouldn't apply? Is there anything I can do?

By all means apply, however you'll need to focus on universities that don't put a specific emphasis on GCSEs like Imperial and I also believe Leicester fits that profile.
Original post by Nina8
Oh lord I'm screwed then. I'm working SO hard on my BMAT is there ANYTHING i can do about my GCSE's? Ive done lots of work experience Im a prefect at school I just really need to get in.

Honestly, for imperial it won't matter. Just choose unis wisely - Exeter/Plymouth may be good as I think they focus more on predicted grades (if you can get some good predictions!)

Quick Reply

Latest