The Student Room Group

Changing one of your A Level subjects

How would you go about changing one of your chosen A Level subjects for example from chemistry to biology, one week untill my GCSE Results Day? Or should I wait untill school starts and change it then as soon as possible?
Original post by Anisha Amee
How would you go about changing one of your chosen A Level subjects for example from chemistry to biology, one week untill my GCSE Results Day? Or should I wait untill school starts and change it then as soon as possible?

On GCSE results day, speak to your college before you enroll. :smile:
Reply 2
I think it depends on what college/sixth form you're going to. At my college, we can change our subjects on enrolment day.
Dont you have an interview before you actually start and after results day cuz I have mine the day after in which im gonna ask if I can change mine
Reply 4
I'm in the same position as you. I've chosen 5 A-levels, but I want to drop one. However, I want to see what the course is like before I make my decision. Will my Sixth-Form let me drop a subject based on that reason?
Original post by Pictraz
I'm in the same position as you. I've chosen 5 A-levels, but I want to drop one. However, I want to see what the course is like before I make my decision. Will my Sixth-Form let me drop a subject based on that reason?

Yes, 99% sure, infact they encourage it here. :smile: It's best to drop it in the first couple of weeks though, I guess, but you may be able to drop it anytime if you're doing an additional A-Level anyway.

Similar boat, I opted for five and I am almost certain I will be dropping one before I even begin, I believe I can do that on enrollment day.
Depends on where you study but a general rule is the earlier the better. I think that at different points I was doing over 10 different subjects at least, lol.
Original post by Pictraz

There is very little reason not to allow you do drop any time before you have been registered for exams. Just be sure to communicate with the relevant people what your intentions might be.
Reply 8
Original post by TelephoneBox
Yes, 99% sure, infact they encourage it here. :smile: It's best to drop it in the first couple of weeks though, I guess, but you may be able to drop it anytime if you're doing an additional A-Level anyway.

Similar boat, I opted for five and I am almost certain I will be dropping one before I even begin, I believe I can do that on enrollment day.

Original post by ByronicHero
There is very little reason not to allow you do drop any time before you have been registered for exams. Just be sure to communicate with the relevant people what your intentions might be.

And universities won't penalise me for dropping a subject right?
Original post by Pictraz
And universities won't penalise me for dropping a subject right?

They won't know. It isn't at all uncommon for people to drop subjects at various stages.
You can email or phone the college and they'll be able to change it for you. If not, then you have the option of changing your subjects when you enrol. You can usually change your subjects in the first two weeks of college if you find that you don't like your subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest