The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hild Bede College!

UNOFFICIAL COLLEGE OF ST HILD AND ST BEDE THREAD

Students old and new are welcome to post, share your thoughts and opinions whether you're just arriving at the college this academic year or just leaving! Firmers also welcome to talk and ask questions about the college!

Happy Posting!

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a second year at Hild Bede and I noticed theres not a Hild Bede thread yet (shocking!). Feel free to ask any questions related to Hild Bede as a college or loosely related to the university.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi! I'm a Hild Bede firmer, for Modern Languages. A month to go til results, I'm nervous but I just want to know if I've got my grades already :frown:

Is asking "what would you have liked to know before you arrived (that you didn't already know)?" too vague a question? The sort of stuff that they didn't let you know in the official college things--unless they did tell you pretty much everything of importance.

Also, I've heard that Hild Bede caters to people who want to go out and party, and people who'd rather stay in during Fresher's Week. Can you remember what sort of stuff was put on for people who'd rather in, during yours? I know it changes year on year, I'd just like an idea of what's been available in the past.
Reply 3
Original post by Sopih
Hi! I'm a Hild Bede firmer, for Modern Languages. A month to go til results, I'm nervous but I just want to know if I've got my grades already :frown:

Is asking "what would you have liked to know before you arrived (that you didn't already know)?" too vague a question? The sort of stuff that they didn't let you know in the official college things--unless they did tell you pretty much everything of importance.

Also, I've heard that Hild Bede caters to people who want to go out and party, and people who'd rather stay in during Fresher's Week. Can you remember what sort of stuff was put on for people who'd rather in, during yours? I know it changes year on year, I'd just like an idea of what's been available in the past.

First night is usually a formal meal with your college mentors, these are either academic people or just locals who want to help. Mine are amazing, more like my 'Durham parents'.

Every night there is an event in college accept for one night which is usually in Newcastle. The events are just to relax, get to know new people. Most people didnt seem to go out the first night they arrived if I remember correctly. The post-grad's also offered an alternative to the events for us such as wine tasting evenings or film nights which I imagine might be quite popular although I never attended those.

Most important things we were told. Only minor things that I didnt expect such as bad phone signal. I didnt really prepare for Durham as I only found out I was going there a month before. If you attended the open days you probably got quite a good insight.
Reply 4
Original post by bembem
I'm a second year at Hild Bede and I noticed theres not a Hild Bede thread yet (shocking!). Feel free to ask any questions related to Hild Bede as a college or loosely related to the university.

I found it shocking as well! I'm also a second year student at Hild Bede.
Reply 5
To add to the what I knew before I came here, many of the online ports are blocked so you cannot play some games or use certain communication programs (although skype is fine).
Hi :biggrin: I'm a Hild Bede firmer but I've never actually seen the college/accommodation, I chose it because it was highly recommended to me. I was just wondering how the college itself is set out? I've been told it isn't flats like most other uni accommodation.

I was also wondering whether it was all mixed gender, even the bathrooms? :s-smilie:

Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by unistudent321
Hi :biggrin: I'm a Hild Bede firmer but I've never actually seen the college/accommodation, I chose it because it was highly recommended to me. I was just wondering how the college itself is set out? I've been told it isn't flats like most other uni accommodation.

I was also wondering whether it was all mixed gender, even the bathrooms? :s-smilie:

Thank you!

I'm in Hild Bede and I'll be living in this year.

It really depends on where in Hild Bede you live. In Hild (the main building), you have male and female bathrooms and toilets separate. I lived in the eastern part and there was gender segregated. In most other parts, including the western part, the bathrooms and toilets are unisex. But the bathrooms are individual, and so are the toilets. They're like single rooms along a corridor most of the time.

The accommodation is also corridor based.
Reply 8
Original post by unistudent321

Thank you!

Another thing about accommodation is that the rooms vary widely in size, but every room has a sink. There are several blocks spread out over 16 acres. Hild is the biggest with all the offices, Bede is the second largest, next comes Christopher and Thorpe. There are also several other buildings for accommodation like Manor Lodge.
Original post by vwsl93
Another thing about accommodation is that the rooms vary widely in size, but every room has a sink. There are several blocks spread out over 16 acres. Hild is the biggest with all the offices, Bede is the second largest, next comes Christopher and Thorpe. There are also several other buildings for accommodation like Manor Lodge.

Thank you, that was really helpful! :smile:
Reply 10
Firmers! You can find information about the college here! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/College_of_St_Hild_and_St_Bede,_Durham
Hi,
I know Hild and Bead is catered, but I was wondering if there are any meals that aren't included, such as Sunday evenings?

Thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by pinkpanther1
Hi,
I know Hild and Bead is catered, but I was wondering if there are any meals that aren't included, such as Sunday evenings?

Thanks!

Hild Bede has every meal included, even Sunday evenings. Saturdays are brunch days and Sundays have Sunday roasts (they're alright). Formals and balls are obviously not included, so tea is served instead of ordinary dinner at an earlier time. The staff will usually notify prior to the events. However, the time can be a problem for people with late lectures and/or tutorials.

Just some extra information. You'll receive a meal card which you'll hand to a member of the staff when getting your food. The card will be put on a board before each meal and it's also where you pick the card before getting the food.
Thank you! Also, do you know roughly how much the events cost such as the balls and other stuff going on in the college? Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by pinkpanther1
Thank you! Also, do you know roughly how much the events cost such as the balls and other stuff going on in the college? Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think formals are around £30 and balls are around £50-60. However, it depends on whether or not you get a table sometimes (first come first serve). We're also given a sort of application form for tables. This form will have a deadline.
Original post by Kishen17
Firmers! You can find information about the college here! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/College_of_St_Hild_and_St_Bede,_Durham

Hey, do you know how up to date that article is? Because that's... beautiful. That's really what I'm aspiring to do before I leave TSR, for the rest of the University.
Reply 16
Are there many Postgrads in this college - signed up for this college, and got accepted - because it's close to where I found private accommodation.
Reply 17
Hey guys! If you've just got your results, hopefully they've gone your way! If not, you can always ring up the university (be persistent, they are always busy at this time). BUT, if you did get in, join our freshers group on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/446924138739934/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved
Reply 18
Original post by Helioghost
Hey, do you know how up to date that article is? Because that's... beautiful. That's really what I'm aspiring to do before I leave TSR, for the rest of the University.

Literally updated it only a few weeks ago, it's pretty much up to date, and I'll go along updating it with more info! :smile:
BUT, if you did get in, join our freshers group on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/446924138739934/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved

Added to the list in my FAQ!

Literally updated it only a few weeks ago, it's pretty much up to date, and I'll go along updating it with more info! :smile:

It's absolutely brilliant. >< Fancy helping out with more on TSR? :P

Quick Reply

Latest