The Student Room Group

I wasn't truthful and now I regret it, please help!

Hi there, Here is my situation and I would appreciate any pragmatic advice or useful perspectives. The last two years I have been at a higher education institution in the states, pursuing a NCAA basketball career. Things didn't work out and the bottom line is that I ended up getting kicked out for plagiarism this May. Obviously not a great place to be but luckily being a Brit and having good A levels (A*,A,B), I decided to apply late through UCAS. The only thing is that in the heat of the moment I decided to lie on personal statement and excluded the fact that I had already been in university abroad for the last two years saying instead that I had been working. This is an undeniable dishonest comment which I knowingly wrote. I ended receiving an unconditional offer for my first choice university which I was obviously extremely lucky given the circumstances. But now I really wish I had given the full truth from the beginning. Firstly because, the idea of starting from scratch after working so hard for 2 years, despite making some silly mistakes during that time, makes me feel ill and secondly because I don't want to feel like I'm living a lie when I go out there. Do you think there is any chance that my university will forgive my lack of honesty if I come clean now? I know that they have the right to kick me off the course if they find out something wasn't true on my application. Should I take that risk? Is it even worth it, since I'm not sure if they will even accept what I had during my time in the states to allow me to go straight into the 2nd year. My ideal outcome would be to start in the second year of my course. Looking at the course modules and comparing them to the modules I have completed already, I know that I have a solid enough foundation to do so. But is this too much to ask given how I screwed up and should I just be happy to be going to a top uni and keep my mouth shut? The thing is that I don't want to think of the last two years as a waste and sweep it under the rug as it never happened. If I ended up getting kicked off the course, do you think any other university will look at me during clearing? Really would appreciate any comments, thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Much better to tell them now than to waste their time and yours by sorting application, enrolling and starting the course. I think they'll take it much more kindly, even if they still reject your application, if you tell them now as opposed to living a lie and waiting for them to find out (as, chances are, they will find out).

Can't say for sure if anyone will accept you through Clearing, but what option do you have? Just go in there and be completely honest. Why did you lie?
Reply 2
Original post by blueman3
Hi there, Here is my situation and I would appreciate any pragmatic advice or useful perspectives. The last two years I have been at a higher education institution in the states, pursuing a NCAA basketball career. Things didn't work out and the bottom line is that I ended up getting kicked out for plagiarism this May. Obviously not a great place to be but luckily being a Brit and having good A levels (A*,A,B), I decided to apply late through UCAS. The only thing is that in the heat of the moment I decided to lie on personal statement and excluded the fact that I had already been in university abroad for the last two years saying instead that I had been working. This is an undeniable dishonest comment which I knowingly wrote. I ended receiving an unconditional offer for my first choice university which I was obviously extremely lucky given the circumstances. But now I really wish I had given the full truth from the beginning. Firstly because, the idea of starting from scratch after working so hard for 2 years, despite making some silly mistakes during that time, makes me feel ill and secondly because I don't want to feel like I'm living a lie when I go out there. Do you think there is any chance that my university will forgive my lack of honesty if I come clean now? I know that they have the right to kick me off the course if they find out something wasn't true on my application. Should I take that risk? Is it even worth it, since I'm not sure if they will even accept what I had during my time in the states to allow me to go straight into the 2nd year. My ideal outcome would be to start in the second year of my course. Looking at the course modules and comparing them to the modules I have completed already, I know that I have a solid enough foundation to do so. But is this too much to ask given how I screwed up and should I just be happy to be going to a top uni and keep my mouth shut? The thing is that I don't want to think of the last two years as a waste and sweep it under the rug as it never happened. If I ended up getting kicked off the course, do you think any other university will look at me during clearing? Really would appreciate any comments, thank you
If the uni discovers that your UCAS form was incomplete/untruthful, you could get thrown off the course, even months down the line, particularly since the issue was plagiarism, which is taken very seriously in academic circles.

The fact that you would rather not start all over again is a different issue, and you would need to negotiate with the university concerned whether they would be prepared to accept you for second year entry.

My advice to you would be to contact the university as soon as possible because you will need to talk to the admissions tutor. You may get a quick answer, but it is also possible that s/he will need to take advice from others at the uni.

Either way, you need to clear this up. A bad conscience is a very soul-destroying thing.

If the uni finds out and you get kicked off the course then the uni will inform all others and chances are you won't get another shot. My advice would be start at this top uni. Seeing as you've already done 2 years, you should be able to get high marks in the exams and therefore end up with a very good degree by the end of it. We all make mistakes.

** that's not to say that the uni WILL kick you out if it found out, it may appreciate your honesty and still let you on the course.
Reply 4
Original post by madders94
Much better to tell them now than to waste their time and yours by sorting application, enrolling and starting the course. I think they'll take it much more kindly, even if they still reject your application, if you tell them now as opposed to living a lie and waiting for them to find out (as, chances are, they will find out).

Can't say for sure if anyone will accept you through Clearing, but what option do you have? Just go in there and be completely honest. Why did you lie?

To be honest, I lied because my mother thought I should. Obviously some more moral advice would have been useful at that point. I appreciate your sentiment but I really don't see how they will find out about it unless I tell them directly. I mean that's the advantage of the incident happening thousands of miles away. But yeah its the fact that I don't want to live a lie. I feel as if I'm better than that.
Reply 5
To be honest, I lied because my mother thought I should. Obviously some more moral advice would have been useful at that point. I appreciate your sentiment but I really don't see how they will find out about it unless I tell them directly. I mean that's the advantage of the incident happening thousands of miles away. But yeah its the fact that I don't want to live a lie. I feel as if I'm better than that.
And you are.

Make a clean breast of it, as soon as you can.
Reply 6
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
If the uni finds out and you get kicked off the course then the uni will inform all others and chances are you won't get another shot. My advice would be start at this top uni. Seeing as you've already done 2 years, you should be able to get high marks in the exams and therefore end up with a very good degree by the end of it. We all make mistakes.

** that's not to say that the uni WILL kick you out if it found out, it may appreciate your honesty and still let you on the course.

I really agree with you on a logical standpoint. That path definitely has the least risk involved. But it just doesn't feel right. The thing is I don't want to mess up my future by allowing my conscience to get in the way.
Reply 7
Do what you gotta do to get where you want to be man. Morals and honesty don't pay the bills and get you ahead, getting results whatever the cost do.
Keep hustling cuz, we're all going to make it.
I really agree with you on a logical standpoint. That path definitely has the least risk involved. But it just doesn't feel right. The thing is I don't want to mess up my future by allowing my conscience to get in the way.

More futures are messed up by people not listening to their consciences than the other way round. You feel bad enough about it to make a thread on TSR. That shows you aren't comfortable. Clear your conscience.
Reply 9
If you got in, I would literally accept the fact you got in and be happy about it. Dont risk yourself getting slung off a course, because put it this way. Assume they cancel your offer, will you feel worse than you already do now? Being without a uni place all together.
Don't tell them.
Plagarism is serious. It's not a quick lie about you having set your grandpa's pyjamas on fire aged 5 or something in your PS.

Tell them and explain how you know being dishonest was wrong and you wanted to set the record straight. Explain how you know plagarism is wrong, you shouldn't have done it and you won't do it again.
Reply 12
Thank you for all the comments. Perhaps I could reach a middle ground, where I plead with my former university to not disclose the fact that I was dismissed for plagiarism. In that case I could just tell my current university that I left for personal reasons or something and sorry but I wasn't sure if I should mention it or not. Do you think at that point they would call up my former uni to ask for details. At which point the whole truth will come out and it would have just been better to tell them in the first place .:frown:
Thank you for all the comments. Perhaps I could reach a middle ground, where I plead with my former university to not disclose the fact that I was dismissed for plagiarism. In that case I could just tell my current university that I left for personal reasons or something and sorry but I wasn't sure if I should mention it or not. Do you think at that point they would call up my former uni to ask for details. At which point the whole truth will come out and it would have just been better to tell them in the first place .:frown:

You are going to need a reference from them. It's not going to hide anything. Honest contrition is your best policy.
Don't be a fool, in 3 years time you'll have your degree from a good university.

You'll be happy that you got really good grades since you've already had a good foundation in the subject previously

Your university will be happy that you got good grades and therefore looks good on them

All these people that are chatting crap about morals and ethics have obviously been watching too much movies and are living in crazy land. Life ain't fair so if you see an opportunity like this you gotta grab it by the balls and come out with the best possible outcome.

As the guy above said, keep hustling cuz

You already got your punishment by getting kicked out, fair enough. Deciding to tell your uni something unnessary is just you being a whiny little b*tch who's just punishing himself for no reason
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Skarm
Do what you gotta do to get where you want to be man. Morals and honesty don't pay the bills and get you ahead, getting results whatever the cost do.
Keep hustling cuz, we're all going to make it.

This.

Ask yourself is it going to make you feel better if they take your place away?

We don't live in a world full of sunshine unicorns and daisies. Honesty doesn't pay the bills. You do what you have to in order to succeed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
They will find out of that l can assure you and they'll find out before Xmas. If you don't tell them you will be kicked off the course and every other university in the UK will be notified. They will reference the other Uni in the States as to why you left and very fact it was for plagiarism will be noted on your files.

People on here telling you to just scam it and don't tell them anything, are wrong in every way and these are the people for once you do not want to listen too. You must stand up and face it. On top of that if and l mean "if" you managed to scam it got your degree of choice at some point in the future they will find out and your degree will be revoked which will mean where ever you work will also revoke your employment.

At some point the University you have applied too will find out.

Do the right thing or you will forever be looking over your shoulder every single day you go just waiting on them coming to you and kicking you off.
Reply 17
Hi Blueman,

I just happened to notice your thread by pure chance and my heart went out to you. I am 35 years old - been there done that. The decision you make today could have a real domino effect later on. Every job application will have to be false, you will constantly have to remind yourself not to mention your two years of university to anyone- no stories to friends that can get out to a tutor etc. The States may seem a million miles away, but with the internet, facebook and twitter, it takes one comment reaching the wrong person to start queries.

I am not saying this to make you paranoid- I want you to look your mistake square in the face , put your hands up and start afresh. Two wrongs can never make a right.

Remember that first and foremost, any university in the UK should be honored to have you. You sound like a very smart kid and an excellent athlete. Any person is allowed to make a mistake. But I would also not recommend phoning up the admissions office and speaking to some guy with a database and a computer screen who's only job is to tick boxes. They will simply follow procedure like sheep. Get out your university prospectus. Leaf through the names of your professors that you think will have a sympathetic ear. Or find the name of the person responsible for helping students through hard times- like student councilors. It's their job to help you and they have heard MUCH worse things than plagiarism, trust me. Then go in there, sit down and tell them "I have excellent grades, I am a great athlete and I made a mistake, I need your help to fix it".

Have confidence and don't take no for an answer from this university. Trust in people, every one of them have made mistakes, they know what you feel like.

Good luck
Reply 18
Just be quiet and dont tell anyone. It wont help anyone, especially you. What do you have to gain from this?

It's not hurting anyone and that's the important thing to remember. Live your life and dont stress yourself out.

White Lies are best kept as secrets.
Original post by Zilch
Just be quiet and dont tell anyone. It wont help anyone, especially you. What do you have to gain from this?

It's not hurting anyone and that's the important thing to remember. Live your life and dont stress yourself out.

White Lies are best kept as secrets.

Universities will definitely not regard plagiarism as a white lie. It's pretty much the worst crime you can commit in academia. They will find out and that will be the end of his academic career anywhere. They threw him out before, as you can see. An honest admission is his best course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending