The Student Room Group

Help me make up my mind!

Hey guys well done everyone.

In a bit of a dilemma. I have confirmed my firm choice at Bristol to study Electrical Engineering. However I still don't know if I want to go there. I have a feeling I would be happier at Sheffield. Family are saying I should go for Bristol because of the reputation and the job prospects. Any opinions on what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

In a bit of a dilemma. I have confirmed my firm choice at Bristol to study Electrical Engineering. However I still don't know if I want to go there. I have a feeling I would be happier at Sheffield. Family are saying I should go for Bristol because of the reputation and the job prospects. Any opinions on what I should do?
Is there any particular reason you feel you'd be happier at Sheffield, and did you visit Bristol?

Normally I'd say go for where you think you'd be happier, but this is my uni we're discussing :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by rokknroll3r

I know Bristol has a particularly good rep for engineering, but it really depends on where you think you'd be happier and do better. Why are you worried about Bristol and why do you think Sheffield would be better?
Reply 4
I really don't know. I prefer accommodation at Sheffield and prefer the student atmosphere (SU) of sheffield. The only thing i'm worried about is reputation. Does it really matter? Will I be at an advantage at Sheffield over Bristol?

Original post by SpringNicht
Is there any particular reason you feel you'd be happier at Sheffield, and did you visit Bristol?

Normally I'd say go for where you think you'd be happier, but this is my uni we're discussing :wink:

Yea I've been to Bristol
(edited 10 years ago)
You should go where you're happier. If you're miserable at Bristol, then reputation won't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the end of the day deffo go for where you think you'll be most happy! When recruiters start hiring sure what uni you go to may be of particular interest, but if you really think of it it's you as a person and what you've done to make yourself stand out!
Reply 7
I really don't know. I prefer accommodation at Sheffield and prefer the student atmosphere (SU) of sheffield. The only thing i'm worried about is reputation. Does it really matter? Will I be at an advantage at Sheffield over Bristol?

Yea I've been to Bristol

On a related note, I wonder why bristol's student satisfation with its student union is so low on unistats. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Reply 8
Original post by Jack93o
On a related note, I wonder why bristol's student satisfation with its student union is so low on unistats. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Its because Bristol Uni isnt campus, it is in the middle of all the pubs/bars/clubs of the city (of which there are quite a few) so the SU is sort of redundant. Theres still a big night life and plenty of social events, but the SU It just isnt needed or used much. Its currently undergoing renovation though so the stats might improve. It's just the nature of a non campus uni, more than anything.
Original post by Jack93o

It's far out enough that nobody can be arsed going, the alcohol isn't that cheap and the place is a bit of a dump (although they're redoing it atm).
Reply 10
Original post by Delphinus
Its because Bristol Uni isnt campus, it is in the middle of all the pubs/bars/clubs of the city (of which there are quite a few) so the SU is sort of redundant. Theres still a big night life and plenty of social events, but the SU It just isnt needed or used much. Its currently undergoing renovation though so the stats might improve. It's just the nature of a non campus uni, more than anything.

but there are plenty of non-campus unis which score much better than them, low % satisfaction with the SU doesn't seem a common thread with this type of uni
Reply 11
Original post by SpringNicht
It's far out enough that nobody can be arsed going, the alcohol isn't that cheap and the place is a bit of a dump (although they're redoing it atm).

you talking about the student union building?

it seemed alright from the outside
Reply 12

well obviously if you aren't happy there then going there would only make it worse, did you have Sheffield as your insurance? if you did you can use adjustment!
Original post by Jack93o
you talking about the student union building?

it seemed alright from the outside

Yep, if you go in from the new entrance it's okay, but go into Bar 100 and be shocked.

The job prospects are exactly the same. If you can switch to Sheffield then definitely do it if it will make you happier.
Go to Bristol!!
My brother does Engineering there and the department is great. He was hesitant as well but really loves it there - I think Bristol generally has a great mix of people. He's even doing a year abroad in Provence in France this year, because he juggles his engineering with extra French modules.
Bristol is a lovely city too :smile:

Yea I've been to Bristol

The relative reputation difference is very minimal and won't matter in the real world when you're looking for a job.

However,
a) the accommodation is only for one year, and Bristol does have some nice accommodation
b) the SU is largely irrelevant to both universities, as they're both in city centres, where other nightlife abounds. SUs are important at unis in small towns (e.g. Loughborough, Keele), but they're rather unimportant at a city uni

Original post by Jack93o

It's down the road from all the other uni buildings (you come to plenty of other shops, cafes and bars long before you reach the SU), and it's a slightly grim looking concrete building to boot.
Reply 17
Bristol is fab city to be a student!
Bristol uni has seriously good rep - specifically for engineering.

Whatever people saying future selectors DO care where you've done your degree!

Ultimately you need to go where you're happiest.
Gus

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 18
Is it still even possible to change your mind, and go from your 'firm' to 'insurance', if your place has been confirmed at your 'firm' choice though? If so, how can that still be done?

How funny, I've just spent the whole morning debating the same thing. The unis are both fantastic and both part of the Russell Group so either way you will have good job prospects.

I personally think that those who pick unis over a couple spaces difference in the league tables are obsessing a little too much. I had offers from Bristol and Sheffield and chose Sheffield because the course suited me more, I like the atmosphere and Bristol just seemed a bit to small for me (I live in London).

Try not to obsess too much over 'reputation' when your already deciding between two fantastic universities where you will have good job prospects either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending