The Student Room Group

Line busy

Hi, I'm a student from the EU looking to apply to unis through clearing.

Problem is, by ringing overseas, I'm not put on hold (and thus transferred to a 'queue' - I assume that's how it works in the UK), all I get is a 'line busy' message with an option to call back. So I'm guessing that since I'm not put in a queue, new people that keep ringing will go before me in a neverending line and I fear that all the places will fill up.

What should I do? Is there anything I can do besides wait and hope they still have room for me?
Need to keep going. You'll get through eventually. Good luck!
Original post by T_Tornado

Problem is, by ringing overseas, I'm not put on hold (and thus transferred to a 'queue' - I assume that's how it works in the UK), all I get is a 'line busy' message with an option to call back. So I'm guessing that since I'm not put in a queue, new people that keep ringing will go before me in a neverending line and I fear that all the places will fill up.

What should I do? Is there anything I can do besides wait and hope they still have room for me?

Hi, what course are you applying for?

Suzie
Reply 3
I second what rockrunride has said, keep trying.

You can also email and I know for a fact that staff here at the University of Central Lancashire are monitoring them and responding very quickly as well. If you simply send an email, give brief details of the course:undefined: that you are interested in and leave your telephone number to be called back on, they will respond to you quickly.

I know that you can email ourselves at [email protected] and you will be guaranteed a quick response.

Best of luck and please try not to worry.
Reply 4
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi, what course are you applying for?

Suzie

Hi! I'm applying for history. It was a big surprise when I found out that it's one of the most popular degrees in the UK.

Original post by rockrunride
Need to keep going. You'll get through eventually. Good luck!

Will do, thanks.

Original post by scanker
I second what rockrunride has said, keep trying.

You can also email and I know for a fact that staff here at the University of Central Lancashire are monitoring them and responding very quickly as well. If you simply send an email, give brief details of the course:undefined: that you are interested in and leave your telephone number to be called back on, they will respond to you quickly.

I know that you can email ourselves at [email protected] and you will be guaranteed a quick response.

Best of luck and please try not to worry.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if they have an email I can contact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi! I'm applying for history. It was a big surprise when I found out that it's one of the most popular degrees in the UK.

Yes, it is. And lots of universities offer it - best thing to do is go to ucas.com and look at what universities are offering it through clearing (I imagine that, as loads offer it, there will still be places at a number of institutions). If you are interested in Royal Holloway, we have spaces on our History course and would be happy to talk to you.

Do check the grade requirements - most will have been lowered slightly for clearing.

If you'd like to speak to us, please private message your phone number and UCAS ID.
Reply 6
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Yes, it is. And lots of universities offer it - best thing to do is go to ucas.com and look at what universities are offering it through clearing (I imagine that, as loads offer it, there will still be places at a number of institutions). If you are interested in Royal Holloway, we have spaces on our History course and would be happy to talk to you.

Do check the grade requirements - most will have been lowered slightly for clearing.

If you'd like to speak to us, please private message your phone number and UCAS ID.

Thank you for your response :smile: I just might!

Hi there,
We have a separate number for students calling from overseas - +44 (0)20 8328 1149.

So you might have some luck calling that. We have History courses available currently - so it might be worth giving us a call to have a chat with someone about what is available?
Good Luck!
Kerrie
Reply 8
Original post by Kingston University
Hi there,
We have a separate number for students calling from overseas - +44 (0)20 8328 1149.

So you might have some luck calling that. We have History courses available currently - so it might be worth giving us a call to have a chat with someone about what is available?
Good Luck!
Kerrie

Thanks for the info.
Reply 9
The University of Wales, Trinity Saint David also has History vacancies available. See their site here http://www.trinitysaintdavid.ac.uk/clearing/courses.html, and their number is 0300 500 5054, you can email at [email protected]

The uni has a fair number of overseas students. I went there through clearing myself onto a Classics course and enjoyed myself very much!

Good luck with your phone calls, hope you get through to someone!!
Thanks for the info.

Not a problem - good luck with finding a place!
Kerrie
Reply 11
The whole UCAS process has been a nightmare. I've been rejected by 4 out of 5 of my original universities to which I applied because (this is just a guess) I did not take a history module in my national baccalaureate. I'm from Romania, and long story short, the rigidity of our education system did not permit me to take it even though I wanted to. The fifth university rejected me because I marginally missed a single module's score. I applied to Sheffield for pre-clearing and they also rejected me.

Well, I just got off the phone with a university. Same story, they can't take me because I did not take the history module.

I got a 9.36 overall score in my national baccalaureate, with a 10 in Romanian, 10 in biology and 8.10 in mathematics. I think 9.36 is roughly AAA, though I'm not sure. Yet here I am getting rejected left and right.

I don't even know who to contact, who requires history and who doesn't.

Sorry for my rant, but this has been taking a toll on me.
The whole UCAS process has been a nightmare. I've been rejected by 4 out of 5 of my original universities to which I applied because (this is just a guess) I did not take a history module in my national baccalaureate. I'm from Romania, and long story short, the rigidity of our education system did not permit me to take it even though I wanted to. The fifth university rejected me because I marginally missed a single module's score. I applied to Sheffield for pre-clearing and they also rejected me.

Well, I just got off the phone with a university. Same story, they can't take me because I did not take the history module.

I got a 9.36 overall score in my national baccalaureate, with a 10 in Romanian, 10 in biology and 8.10 in mathematics. I think 9.36 is roughly AAA, though I'm not sure. Yet here I am getting rejected left and right.

To study history here without a qualification in history will be incredibly difficult. Are there any other degrees that you might want to do instead?
Reply 13
Please help. Why do I ring different universities, get the engaged tone for a couple of minutes, then it stops (goes silent) so I wait while saying hello repeatedly and then a few minutes later I get a siren like a high pitched ambulance?
Reply 14
Original post by Hedgeman49
To study history here without a qualification in history will be incredibly difficult. Are there any other degrees that you might want to do instead?

The University of Glasgow was the one that accepted me but rejected me later on for missing the 8.50 threshold (got an 8.10 in mathematics) even though what I studied had nothing to do with history.

I have always been passionate about history and had to trudge through high school studying things I didn't like. What I wanted was to be finally able to study what I loved.

This is ridiculous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
You could try University of Westminster too. They have a separate line for International students:
020 7911 5000 or email [email protected]
There are still places available for History.
Reply 16
Original post by Katie_H123
You could try University of Westminster too. They have a separate line for International students:
020 7911 5000 or email [email protected]
There are still places available for History.

Yeah, thanks.

Hi,

I can't guarantee anything, but we still have places left for History at Derby.

Feel free to give us a call on 01332 592013 or check out our website at www.derby.ac.uk/clearing for more information.

Hopefully we will be able to help!

Good luck! I hope you find a course,

Stacey
Reply 18
Original post by University of Derby
Hi,

I can't guarantee anything, but we still have places left for History at Derby.

Feel free to give us a call on 01332 592013 or check out our website at www.derby.ac.uk/clearing for more information.

Hopefully we will be able to help!

Good luck! I hope you find a course,

Stacey

Thanks for the info.
Hi Sorry for the delay in replying - but I wanted to check what the situation was at Kingston in regards to the History element first!

I have spoken with the admissions team and they say that we typically require successful completion of the Romanian Diploma de Bacalaureat / Secondary Vocational Diploma with a score of 7 overall +. We do not require you to have taken History as a subject, however you do need to have been awarded the full Diploma. We also require an English language qualification such as IELTS 6.5 (with no component lower than 5.5).
If you meet these conditions, then I would definitely recommend you give the hotline a call on the number I posted earlier if you fancy Kingston as a possible university for you!

All the best
Kerrie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending