The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3480
Original post by Alix_js
Thank you so much anyway! I guess it's just a waiting game now, and hopefully he made a good impression whilst there and they liked him... Anyway he's been phoning up other universities (better ones than his insurance) and it seams to be looking like they do have spaces for him, if he is rejected (please God accept him!) I think it has just really rocked him and my parents- we never thought he'd be in this position today.

Fingers crossed. If he wants to take a different university through clearing/adjustment then he'll need to be released from his insurance choice - that should just be a formality, but just to warn you that he'll need to do it!

Original post by chocoholic_x
Got A*AA and not the A*A*A that my offer required. Am still waiting for Magdalene's decision. :s-smilie:

Hopefully your odds should be pretty good with A*AA - and if not, there's always a chance that another college could pick you up in the summer pool. Don't lose hope.
Reply 3481
Original post by Motholax
Well I definitely didn't just do a dance in my pyjamas.

Because I'm already in my running gear.

To further this, having run, showered (with another dance in the shower), gotten dressed and gone to school to collect results;

Got into Christ's for BioNatSci, A*A*A*A*A*A.

Not particularly surprised about the A in further maths, very surprised by the A* in Russian.
Hey, I got my AS results today and came out with a 96.8% average. I know auto-pooling is at 97% - will my score get rounded to 97% or will it remain as it is? Thanks.
Original post by zyxwvuts
Hey, I got my AS results today and came out with a 96.8% average. I know auto-pooling is at 97% - will my score get rounded to 97% or will it remain as it is? Thanks.

If you're applying for Maths or Medicine, you don't get auto-pooled. However, people do get direct offers with a less than 96.8% average, and people with higher averages will get pooled but then not fished out - it all depends entirely on performance at interview.

Congrats on your results though, that's fantastic news!

Autopooling is 93%.

And well done btw...
Reply 3485

Is it at 97%? Last year it was 93, I think.
Original post by lp386
Hopefully your odds should be pretty good with A*AA - and if not, there's always a chance that another college could pick you up in the summer pool. Don't lose hope.

Original post by Alix_js
My brother also narrowly missed his offer and is waiting... I hope it works out well for both you and him. And please don't be too harsh on yourself- you've done amazing and should be really proud of yourself, and there is always hope that they will want you xxx

Thank you both! I am trying to maintain slightly hopeful but it is so disappointing also. I have asked for two priority remarks for two of my exams as I was only 2 UMS marks off an A* in Psychology and 4 UMS marks off in Religious Studies. So hopefully one of them might come back positive.
I wish your brother the best of luck also! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
Autopooling is 93%.

And well done btw...

Original post by lp386
Is it at 97%? Last year it was 93, I think.

Oh really?! Brilliant news and thank you :smile:
Still waiting on a decision. Stupid STEP! :rolleyes:
Reply 3489
Original post by chocoholic_x
Thank you both! I am trying to maintain slightly hopeful but it is so disappointing also. I have asked for two priority remarks for two of my exams as I was only 2 UMS marks off an A* in Psychology and 4 UMS marks off in Religious Studies. So hopefully one of them might come back positive.
I wish your brother the best of luck also! :smile:

Yes - and being close (especially in two subjects!) should help your case.

Original post by sparrowhawk4
Still waiting on a decision. Stupid STEP! :rolleyes:

Yup - it's just a waiting game at this point, unfortunately...
Original post by Alix_js
Like it has already been said, a huge congratulations to those going to Cambridge in September, you should be immensely proud! Sadly, my brother just missed his Cambridge Natural Sciences offer, as he got AAA instead of A*AA... The University said they'd let him know tomorrow- but what are the chances of him still getting in? He was predicted A*A*A*, got ASs well above 90% and even came in the 5th percentile for the admissions test, so we are all so disappointed and mostly surprised. Could someone please let me know if there is still a glimmer of hope for him? Or if any people at Cambridge have got in in the past still missing their offer? It would be such a shame after all this effort and excitement that he ends up at his insurance. Thank you, and I'm sorry for all those that are also in his position!

I've known them to be notoriously tough, even in situations like these. So make all efforts possible with Adjustment. However, you might get lucky.
Missed my offer I got AAA, but I am glad Fitz still confirmed my place after scanning the results from my school and calling up.

Today was drama, but I thank God I have still been granted a place :biggrin:

Congrats to the other who made their offers!
Condolences to the unsuccessful.
To those still holding on I wish you all the best and good luck I have my fingers :crossedf:

It's all still sinking in! :indiff:
Original post by eclectic_
I'm just wondering - to all who did A-levels, when does it say that your UCAS was last updated? As in, your offers/declined offers etc. I did IB and am in a possibly unique situation.

My daughter did IB, missed offer by one point. Her UCAS for Cambridge last updated end of March. They have emailed since the 6th July though and said they hope for a definite decision by 17th August.
Original post by Comanche13
My daughter did IB, missed offer by one point. Her UCAS for Cambridge last updated end of March. They have emailed since the 6th July though and said they hope for a definite decision by 17th August.

I exceeded my offer by 4 points but missed the subject specific 7, and got a 6 instead (1% off). I don't know what's going to happen, I've been told my college will inform me of their final decision 'later this week'. I'm prepared for a rejection tbh.
Has anyone missed their offer and then received a place over the phone today?
Original post by lieseldante
Has anyone missed their offer and then received a place over the phone today?

Yes, I have after scanning in my results and sending them to my college's admissions office via my school.
I have no idea how to multi-quote, so I just wanted to update you all on what has happened.

So in the end, I came out with AAB, and I already have a B in Arabic A-Level that I completed two years ago.

My B was in politics, and it was brought down by a D in the very last unit. Despite the three other A's in the other units, I just missed an A overall.

As for my other 2 A's, I think I got 357 and 355 UMS - not quite the 360 I was hoping for, but close nonetheless. Kings College have firmly rejected me.

So I'll be heading to the Cornwall Campus of Exeter University. It's looking great, yet I still need to find accommodation (if anyone can point me to it, I would be very thankful!). Oh, and I also need to apply for student finance, which I haven't been able to do so far because the system doesn't take into account that my firm offer and insurance offer could have different years of entry.

To all those who have not made it to Cambridge, commiserations! To all those who have made it, congratulations, as you all have deserved it! I am sure that you will do well in the future, and there is a bright future ahead of you all. Well done, once again.

:smile:
5 A*s and a 1 in STEP - very pleased :biggrin: Queens' College, here I come!
Original post by Silent Witness
I have no idea how to multi-quote, so I just wanted to update you all on what has happened.

So in the end, I came out with AAB, and I already have a B in Arabic A-Level that I completed two years ago.

My B was in politics, and it was brought down by a D in the very last unit. Despite the three other A's in the other units, I just missed an A overall.

As for my other 2 A's, I think I got 357 and 355 UMS - not quite the 360 I was hoping for, but close nonetheless. Kings College have firmly rejected me.

So I'll be heading to the Cornwall Campus of Exeter University. It's looking great, yet I still need to find accommodation (if anyone can point me to it, I would be very thankful!). Oh, and I also need to apply for student finance, which I haven't been able to do so far because the system doesn't take into account that my firm offer and insurance offer could have different years of entry.

To all those who have not made it to Cambridge, commiserations! To all those who have made it, congratulations, as you all have deserved it! I am sure that you will do well in the future, and there is a bright future ahead of you all. Well done, once again.

:smile:

Hey - I was in the same situation earlier. If you go to the cornwall campus website there is an accommodation link, although it's managed by the student's union there. No guarantees, but they said I had a very very good chance of being successful.

I've been a bit naughty though, gone behind their back and (hopefully) got a place at Leeds for Politics and Parliamentary Studies instead. Good luck for whatever you decide to do!
Original post by hannah60000
Yes, I have after scanning in my results and sending them to my college's admissions office via my school.

Awesome! Congrats, me too. I was just wondering if your confirmation has come through on UCAS. I know it's silly, but mine hasn't and it's making me think Cambridge is pulling a trick on me.

Latest

Trending

Trending