The Student Room Group

missed offer- HELP!

I missed the offer of my firm (QMUL) but got into my insurance (City). QMUL is in clearing though and have phoned the uni. However the lady that I talked to said that the admissions want ABB for my course. I got A(maths) B(chemistry) C(english) but I am having one of my english modules remarked because I got an E in it while the others are A and B.

I emailed QMUL admissions (the lady that I talked to said to do this), is there any chance they would accept me/reconsider my application? The exams officer in my school said that I would probably get my remarked results in early september. I am worried that the uni space would be full by then!

Helppp! What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Get a priority remark done - if you submit the priority remark today or tomorrow you'll get it back sometime next week. If your C in English does go upto a B, then QMUL will have to accept you - it won't be their choice as you've met the offer and they'll have to take you. Same thing happened with me last year, only I missed both my firm and insurance, got a priority remark put in on Friday and got it back next week Thursday, and I was in to my insurance.
Ring up and say you're having a priority remark, and ask them to hold your place. If they say yes and your grade goes up, then you're in.
Original post by iamsuperjai
I missed the offer of my firm (QMUL) but got into my insurance (City). QMUL is in clearing though and have phoned the uni. However the lady that I talked to said that the admissions want ABB for my course. I got A(maths) B(chemistry) C(english) but I am having one of my english modules remarked because I got an E in it while the others are A and B.

I emailed QMUL admissions (the lady that I talked to said to do this), is there any chance they would accept me/reconsider my application? The exams officer in my school said that I would probably get my remarked results in early september. I am worried that the uni space would be full by then!

Helppp! What do I do?

If you are having a remark, you need to request a priority remark in order for the results to be back by 31st August, which is when you need to have met the conditions by. Don't delay in asking for this. Remark results in September are of no use to you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AndroidLight
Get a priority remark done - if you submit the priority remark today or tomorrow you'll get it back sometime next week. If your C in English does go upto a B, then QMUL will have to accept you - it won't be their choice as you've met the offer and they'll have to take you. Same thing happened with me last year, only I missed both my firm and insurance, got a priority remark put in on Friday and got it back next week Thursday, and I was in to my insurance.

They no longer have to take them. They are obliged to, if the remark comes back by 31 August, but they are not compelled to. If they won't confirm that the place will be held, the OP can ask for a deferred place instead if they get the remark upgraded, but equally QMUL don't have to agree to that either.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
They no longer have to take them. They are obliged to, if the remark comes back by 31 August, but they are not compelled to. If they won't confirm that the place will be held, the OP can ask for a deferred place instead if they get the remark upgraded, but equally QMUL don't have to agree to that either.

If a priority remark does come back positive then by all means it's very unlikely QMUL won't take them - but that said it is worth it to call up QMUL and check up what their official stance is on priority remarks for your couse just to be sure.

UCL made it quite certain to me that they definitely would take people if remarks came back positive - even after their courses had been filled. But as you say, it may not be a for sure policy, so best call up QMUL and get confirmation.
Reply 6

Original post by carnationlilyrose
If you are having a remark, you need to request a priority remark in order for the results to be back by 31st August, which is when you need to have met the conditions by. Don't delay in asking for this. Remark results in September are of no use to you.

Edit: Read the OP properly!

I filled up this form, I think it said priority remarked on the top of the sheet but the exams officer in my school still told me that she's not sure when the remarked would be done and that it depends on the exam boards. She literally said to I might get them back in early september. I am really worried now...
I filled up this form, I think it said priority remarked on the top of the sheet but the exams officer in my school still told me that she's not sure when the remarked would be done and that it depends on the exam boards. She literally said to I might get them back in early september. I am really worried now...

She's right in the sense that occasionally things do come back late, but it sounds like she is putting the worst case scenario to prepare you. The point of the priority remark is that it DOES return before 31st August, and that is what you are paying extra for.

Perhaps best to double check with your exams officer that is indeed a priority remark? As Carnation mentions they do come back before September, so you want to make sure that that is what you got rather than a standard remark which could very well come back in September.
Reply 9
Perhaps best to double check with your exams officer that is indeed a priority remark? As Carnation mentions they do come back before September, so you want to make sure that that is what you got rather than a standard remark which could very well come back in September.

I paid £44 though? So I think its priority?
Reply 10

If a priority remark does come back positive then by all means it's very unlikely QMUL won't take them - but that said it is worth it to call up QMUL and check up what their official stance is on priority remarks for your couse just to be sure.

UCL made it quite certain to me that they definitely would take people if remarks came back positive - even after their courses had been filled. But as you say, it may not be a for sure policy, so best call up QMUL and get confirmation.

So if my C grade does go up to a B, does that mean QMUL will take me then? They still havent got back to me though. Urghh.
So if my C grade does go up to a B, does that mean QMUL will take me then? They still havent got back to me though. Urghh.

No. It's at their discretion. Ring them and speak directly to an admissions tutor to make sure they know you are having it remarked.
Reply 12
No. It's at their discretion. Ring them and speak directly to an admissions tutor to make sure they know you are having it remarked.

So I should phone them up again and specifically ask to speak to an admissions tutor even though I have emailed them? I have phoned twice already both times they just told me to email the admissions team. I have emailed at about 9:40 still haven't heard anything though!
So I should phone them up again and specifically ask to speak to an admissions tutor even though I have emailed them? I have phoned twice already both times they just told me to email the admissions team. I have emailed at about 9:40 still haven't heard anything though!

It would be useful to have a response from them about whether they intend to keep your place open for you if you get your paper upgraded.
I paid £44 though? So I think its priority?

Depends what board, but I've just google Edexcel and they charge £41.20 for priority and £36 for standard. They say priority will be back within 18 days, which is pretty naughty as that puts them beyond 31st August.
Reply 15
It would be useful to have a response from them about whether they intend to keep your place open for you if you get your paper upgraded.

Thank you so much for your help. I just phoned again for the third time and asked to be put through to admission..they said they would hold the place open for me until I get my remarked back. But thats all they said though, didnt ask me for anything else. They also said I should email them my grades once I get back. I was curious on how they would be able to keep the place open though as they didnt even know who they were talking to!
Reply 16
Thank you so much for your help. I just phoned again for the third time and asked to be put through to admission..they said they would hold the place open for me until I get my remarked back. But thats all they said though, didnt ask me for anything else. They also said I should email them my grades once I get back. I was curious on how they would be able to keep the place open though as they didnt even know who they were talking to!

from my understanding they aren't obliged to offer you your original course unless you meet the ORIGINAL requirements which were AAB, so even if you got the clearing requirement they can't hold a clearing place with the clearing grades, they'll fill it up with someone else- they may have forgotten about the original requirement when talking to you on the phone
Reply 17
Original post by Kreayshawn
from my understanding they aren't obliged to offer you your original course unless you meet the ORIGINAL requirements which were AAB, so even if you got the clearing requirement they can't hold a clearing place with the clearing grades, they'll fill it up with someone else- they may have forgotten about the original requirement when talking to you on the phone

Phoned them again. They said they will hold my place until I get my remarked back. I asked them if I get ABB would they accept me, they only said they would really reconsider it. If there are no more clearing spaces for my course (economics) does that mean that they will reject me again despite my grade increasing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Phoned them again. They said they will hold my place until I get my remarked back. I asked them if I get ABB would they accept me, they only said they would really reconsider it. If there are no more clearing spaces for my course (economics) does that mean that they will reject me again despite my grade increasing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spoke to them today- they're full up, no discussion about it really. I don't think they would take on any one else, I didn't tell them my grades or anything (for all they know I could have ABB/AAB) and they said they're full. This was when speaking to the Economics department themselves. I called the clearing line separately, they just said it's full and there's no room at all, so honestly I don't think that they would take you on- if they didn't take your UCAS number etc then I'm not sure that they will do it.

I am in the same situation as you: I got one grade off their clearing requirement, they were my firm, and I got into my insurance choice. The guy at the economics said that he can't hold any places for anyone when I asked him how things would work if I got a remark (only two UMS off a grade above in one of my subjects). He said the only way for me to guarantee my place was if I did remarks and got back AAB- then they would HAVE to give me a place. Did the clearing phone operator tell you they'd hold your place or did the econ department tell you this? If it's with the department then maybe you're in good hands and you can hold hope- but if it was the clearing people then I'm not sure that I myself would be positive. If you left your details with them this time that you called them, then maybe it's on their system and they've made special arrangements for you- which would be good.

I've also heard that clearing applicants are having trouble with accommodation at QM- they're completely full so all people through clearing are having to find their own private accommodation.

A bit of a long post but hopefully there's something in there that helped, I'm in the exact same situation as you.

I now can either go to my insurance, Reading, or I also have a clearing offer from City which I'm hesitant to take.
Reply 19
Original post by Kreayshawn
I spoke to them today- they're full up, no discussion about it really. I don't think they would take on any one else, I didn't tell them my grades or anything (for all they know I could have ABB/AAB) and they said they're full. This was when speaking to the Economics department themselves. I called the clearing line separately, they just said it's full and there's no room at all, so honestly I don't think that they would take you on- if they didn't take your UCAS number etc then I'm not sure that they will do it.

I am in the same situation as you: I got one grade off their clearing requirement, they were my firm, and I got into my insurance choice. The guy at the economics said that he can't hold any places for anyone when I asked him how things would work if I got a remark (only two UMS off a grade above in one of my subjects). He said the only way for me to guarantee my place was if I did remarks and got back AAB- then they would HAVE to give me a place. Did the clearing phone operator tell you they'd hold your place or did the econ department tell you this? If it's with the department then maybe you're in good hands and you can hold hope- but if it was the clearing people then I'm not sure that I myself would be positive. If you left your details with them this time that you called them, then maybe it's on their system and they've made special arrangements for you- which would be good.

I've also heard that clearing applicants are having trouble with accommodation at QM- they're completely full so all people through clearing are having to find their own private accommodation.

A bit of a long post but hopefully there's something in there that helped, I'm in the exact same situation as you.

I now can either go to my insurance, Reading, or I also have a clearing offer from City which I'm hesitant to take.

I phoned the econ department, the admission (team D) gave me the direct number for it. I spoke to this guy from the department and he took my UCAS number. He said that he'd make a note on my application about reconsidering my application and hold the my place for me until I get my remarked back. I also asked him about the grades and said if I get AAB then they would definitely take me but he didnt give me a definite answer when I asked him if I get ABB; he just said they would reconsider.

Now Im really worried that if I do get ABB then they might still reject me. But if they said they would hold my place then surely they can take me, right? What do think?

I've got an unconditional offer from City but I dont really wanna go there but I guess if QMUL refuses me then I wont really have a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending