The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, previously posted in the incorrect thread.

My daughter has achieved the results required to attend her firm offer (A*,A,A Exeter). This was her only offer out of the five applications and probably her least favoured choice. She has been considering turning the offer down and taking a gap year and re-applying for 2014 entry. Now, her first choice (Durham) which originally turned her down has places for her course (English Lit) in clearing. Any helpful suggestions?
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Maths shows I can't :redface:

Stay hopeful :smile:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Stay hopeful :smile:

If GCSEs don't go well, I'm not going to college... :lol:
Original post by thenumber2goose
Not at all. I got BBBD at AS and applied for 2 AAA and 3 AAB. I got offers from four of them and accepted a place on the AAA course. I got A*AA in the end, AS isn't the end of everything.

Thank god for that!
I have my heart set on Stanmillis for BEd Post Primary Relgious Studies and their asking ABB, I was so worried incase they wouldn't consider me with the 2 C's even though my is in Relgious studies
Original post by Andaxay
I thank you :biggrin: Nah, I wasn't a massive fan of it, either! Mechanics should be great though, enjoy :smile: I'm dropping maths but did mechanics in physics anyway so I'm all sorted for all my mechanical needs :wink:

I wish I did physics instead of psychology because I liked physics the most and it was the one I did the best on at GCSE but curiousity got the better of me, worst decision I've ever made! So then if I had taken physics, I would've been able to drop maths (provided I enjoyed physics at AS). I do enjoy maths, but let's face it, I'm not exactly naturally gifted at it haha!
Reply 1605
I got 98% in Econ, 100% in Maths, 98% in Further Maths and 92% in Physics, mostly losing marks on my ISA.

Is this still a 'safe' application to Oxford? My average is 96 or 97% I think, but I want to apply to read Physics and I don't know whether the 92% will let me down.
Original post by Ianw12552
Sorry, previously posted in the incorrect thread.

My daughter has achieved the results required to attend her firm offer (A*,A,A Exeter). This was her only offer out of the five applications and probably her least favoured choice. She has been considering turning the offer down and taking a gap year and re-applying for 2014 entry. Now, her first choice (Durham) which originally turned her down has places for her course (English Lit) in clearing. Any helpful suggestions?

What was her offer for Exeter? She might be eligible for adjustment if she exceeded it.

If not then I'd suggest she call up Durham and speak to them about whether they'd be willing to consider her (and which college she'd be placed in) - they might refuse to speak to her if she's holding an offer but she might get lucky as they'll be able to see her application and results from the first time she applied.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If GCSEs don't go well, I'm not going to college... :lol:

You can, remember Robbie as he got a B in GCSE but got some top scores for his exams this year! :biggrin:
Original post by cyfer
I got 98% in Econ, 100% in Maths, 98% in Further Maths and 92% in Physics, mostly losing marks on my ISA.

Is this still a 'safe' application to Oxford? My average is 96 or 97% I think, but I want to apply to read Physics and I don't know whether the 92% will let me down.

Oxford don't see your grade percentages (unless you actually tell them which most people do not). I think the only university asking for the percentages is Cambridge. So you're fine :smile: It's mainly the interview that gets you the offer from what I've heard.
AS Results:

AAAB :smile:
AS RESULTS... should i be happy with AABB?
Economics- A
Biology- A
Maths- B
Chemistry-B

everyones all like ahh well done but i cant really feel it, probably because i messed up in chemistry on my coursework which pulled everything down?
Original post by cyfer

Those marks are insane, way higher than you'd need for an Oxford offer even! Oxford care more about GCSE's than the UMS of AS level, so the percentages are not important.
Original post by lauraaaaa
I know, me too!! I actually did worse in this summers exams compared to January because I just scraped an A in psych when in January I got full ums so I really need to up my game. I was 20ums into an A overall though so that's fine! I'm hoping to get my A's up to A*'s and my B's up to A's for next year. My exam timetable next year is a bloody killer though, they're all bunched together and I have about twelve so I'm gonna have to be super organised!

Where do you find the UMS boundaries? I've got the raw mark grade boundaries but results are in UMS aren't they? And yeah, I'm hoping to get A* in biology even though that's the science I hated the most but ironically seemed to do the best in? I'm hoping to get one grade higher for A2, like you :P I'm stressing for the linear exam timetables next year! So glad I'm not doing psychology - I heard horror stories about all the studies and essays!
Original post by PQ
What was her offer for Exeter? She might be eligible for adjustment if she exceeded it.

If not then I'd suggest she call up Durham and speak to them about whether they'd be willing to consider her (and which college she'd be placed in) - they might refuse to speak to her if she's holding an offer but she might get lucky as they'll be able to see her application and results from the first time she applied.

Her offer was A*AA so as far as I can see she's not eligible for adjustment. She's trying to get through to the clearing line at Durham but very busy as you would imagine. Many thanks for your help.
Original post by figuresk8rstudent
How is that possible apart from hard work!??? Confused. Com

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard work this year and a lot of slacking last year, I did come from A*s and A's at GCSE though so..
Reply 1615
I got A*AB for English Lit, Biology and Psychology - my offer from Exeter was AAA but they let me in anyway! :banana:

So relieved...I hope everyone else got what they wanted!
Original post by MathsNerd1
You can, remember Robbie as he got a B in GCSE but got some top scores for his exams this year! :biggrin:

I *can* go, but I won't :h:
Well done everyone for their brilliant results!

Anyone disappointed with their results or having to go through clearing - I scrapped Cs at A-Level because I just didn't apply myself in those 2 years, I messed about. I went through clearing and ended up at the University Centre at Blackburn College, doing a foundation degree and about to go onto my ba (hons) top up year and my degree will be validated by Lancaster Uni. I always hoped to go to a top uni but I'm on now on track for a 2:1 and wouldn't change my uni experience for anything - so don't despair there's options for everyone!
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't know about anyone else but lurking this thread as an AS-er and seeing all the A2-ers get their results and hearing them getting into uni is making me really happy and excited for some reason :woo:
Reply 1619
Its quite funny that I got more As at A level then I did in my GCSEs

Latest