The Student Room Group

Do AS levels affect your options for University?

Hi,

I have just received my AS results today, which I am over the moon about as they are such an improvement from my January results! I still need to resit 2 exams, but apart from that I'm on course for the grades I need. My only issue is will this effect my options for applying to universities? Will my predicted grades be lowered due to my results?

Cheers,

Mark
Your predicted grades are based on a variety of things, not just your AS results. They should be what your teachers honestly believe you can achieve, so if for some reason your AS results were lower than your overall results are likely to be for whatever reason then they will take that into account. My AS results were ABCCU, I got predicted AAB with an A in the extra AS level I took up and got offers from 3 A courses, as long as you have a strong personal statement and references then your AS results shouldn't hold you back too much, within reason (unless you're thinking of applying to Oxbridge, that is). Don't worry about it basically and congrats on your results, I'm sure everything will work out one way or another! :smile:
Reply 2
This really depends. It is possible that the Universities you're interested will see you as less desirable because you've taken resits, but their position on resits varies. So if you want to be sure, I'd recommend emailing the admissions offices of the Universities you are interested in, and finding out directly from them whether they have a policy on resits, and what their advice to you is.
The short answer is yes.
Reply 4
I got 98% in Econ, 100% in Maths, 98% in Further Maths and 92% in Physics, mostly losing marks on my ISA.

Is this still a 'safe' application to Oxford? My average is 96 or 97% I think, but I want to apply to read Physics and I don't know whether the 92% will let me down.
The resit thing is true yeah but even considering my resits (I resat one particular exam each season starting from the January of AS :colondollar:) I still managed to get good offers from Russell Group universities - in fact, none of the ones I looked at mentioned resits as a problem (this is for English Literature). Most of them don't seem to mind it, just make sure you have a good reference/personal statement when the time comes and show them how much you really want a place on their course!
Original post by cyfer
I got 98% in Econ, 100% in Maths, 98% in Further Maths and 92% in Physics, mostly losing marks on my ISA.

Is this still a 'safe' application to Oxford? My average is 96 or 97% I think, but I want to apply to read Physics and I don't know whether the 92% will let me down.

It's people like you that make me feel bad about even considering an Oxbridge application! Those results are superb, and more than suitable for Oxford, especially considering they don't look at your UMS. If by 'safe' you mean you can say you're probably going to get a place, I don't think 100% in everything can guarantee that for an application to Oxford, but you're certainly in a good position to apply.
Reply 7
Original post by King Hotpie
It's people like you that make me feel bad about even considering an Oxbridge application! Those results are superb, and more than suitable for Oxford, especially considering they don't look at your UMS. If by 'safe' you mean you can say you're probably going to get a place, I don't think 100% in everything can guarantee that for an application to Oxford, but you're certainly in a good position to apply.

Thank you, I thought Oxford and Cambridge looked at UMS.
Original post by cyfer
Thank you, I thought Oxford and Cambridge looked at UMS.

Cambridge do, and I think you actually have above average for a successful applicant there, so you may or may not want to consider that. However, they don't offer straight physics, only physical natsci. Oxford will not require UMS, but you will have to sit the PAT (physics aptitude test) in November, the results of which will play a key part in deciding whether or not you get in. Either way, you've got a great chance! Who knows, maybe I'll see you somewhere, I'm hoping to apply for physics as well, although I doubt my results will be as good as yours when I get them!
Reply 9
Original post by cyfer

You have got to be kidding me... Please tell me this isn't even a question, Oxford don't even consider UMS. You know full well your grades are oxford/cambridge level
Original post by cyfer

There's no such thing as a safe application to Oxford, but you have grades that make it worth applying.
I got AAAC, dropping the C but can one assume my predictions to be AAA?
Reply 12
Original post by King Hotpie
Cambridge do, and I think you actually have above average for a successful applicant there, so you may or may not want to consider that. However, they don't offer straight physics, only physical natsci. Oxford will not require UMS, but you will have to sit the PAT (physics aptitude test) in November, the results of which will play a key part in deciding whether or not you get in. Either way, you've got a great chance! Who knows, maybe I'll see you somewhere, I'm hoping to apply for physics as well, although I doubt my results will be as good as yours when I get them!

Good luck with your results :wink:

How are you preparing for the PAT? I tried one for practice and was FAR out of my depth and I haven't touched it since. Do you know what a 'good' score is too?

You sound like a good guy, I'd love to see you in Oxford next year if it all turns out well
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
I got AAAC, dropping the C but can one assume my predictions to be AAA?

Almost certainly, might even have A* predictions if you got high overall UMS in any of those subjects.
Original post by SummerSerenade
Almost certainly, might even have A* predictions if you got high overall UMS in any of those subjects.

Thank you! Yeah one was mid high, one was high and the other was really high haha
Original post by cyfer
Good luck with your results :wink:

How are you preparing for the PAT? I tried one for practice and was FAR out of my depth and I haven't touched it since. Do you know what a 'good' score is too?

You sound like a good guy, I'd love to see you in Oxford next year if it all turns out well

I haven't actually done any preparing for the PAT yet.... I'm getting my AS results tomorrow, after which I'm deciding whether to go for Cambridge or Oxford, if I go for Oxbridge at all. I can't remember what a good score is, but if you go on the Oxford physics department web page, and navigate your way to the PAT, there should be some reports there which tell you what a good score for previous papers has been. It's certainly less than what a good AS score is. At AS, 80% is a bare minimum really for Oxbridge applicants, even that's disappointing. For the PAT I think it's (usually) closer to 60% for a good score. Don't take my word on that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending