The Student Room Group

A'levels in more than two sittings?

If i give my A'levels in more than two sittings should i be worried? I planned to give my A'levels in three sittings. I was wondering if i was going to have any problems getting into universities later. Please let me know. Thank You.
Reply 1
By sittings do you mean years? Because technically you can have 4 sittings for A levels if you do January and June exams for 2 years.

Usually universities will take situations into consideration. A lot of people take a gap year and do resits in their gap year, which usually isn't a problem if you get alright grades. Also you can write to the university and explain to them if there are extenuating circumstances as to why you need to take your exams over 3 years as opposed to 2.
If you are taking A-Levels internationally (e.g not in the UK now) then you have the opportunity to take A-Level exams in January and June.

Before government reforms, people completed A-Level exams in four sitting over a two year period.
Reply 3
Original post by Chomper
By sittings do you mean years? Because technically you can have 4 sittings for A levels if you do January and June exams for 2 years.

Usually universities will take situations into consideration. A lot of people take a gap year and do resits in their gap year, which usually isn't a problem if you get alright grades. Also you can write to the university and explain to them if there are extenuating circumstances as to why you need to take your exams over 3 years as opposed to 2.

I'm giving Internationally not from UK centres. I will finish my A'levels in 2 years time. Let me explain how I've set up my sittings. I finished my O'levels in Jan 13. My original two sittings was supposed to be in Jan 14 and Jan 15 but I took an early sitting in Jun 13. So my sittings are Jun 13, Jan 14 and Jan 15. Is this going to restrict my entry to any abroad university I would like to apply in? Since I saw in some universities they mention in their student requirement forms that his A'levels will need to finished in 2 sittings..
Reply 4
Original post by Chomper

what about if you get bad grades?
will they reject you?

also can't your referee put that down, why you are resetting
Reply 5
Original post by 3mmz
what about if you get bad grades?
will they reject you?

also can't your referee put that down, why you are resetting

Well if you get grades that you think are "bad", you can't expect to be going to a university that offers higher grades than you got? So it's all relative.
Reply 6
Original post by Chomper
Well if you get grades that you think are "bad", you can't expect to be going to a university that offers higher grades than you got? So it's all relative.

Hence why you are resitting?
Plus your referee will have to predict you a grade for the ones you are retaking
Reply 7
I'm not resitting by the way.. I'll be giving my A'levels in 3 sittings.. but that doesn't mean i'm resitting.. all are first time exams.

Quick Reply

Latest