The Student Room Group

Causes and prevention of hair loss

I have been experiencing a lot of hair loss as of late. I am 23 year old, have a full head of thick hair. but in the past year or so I have been noticing alot of hair falling out especially when having a shower, it seems to me when I just run my fingers through my hair (when wet), there is a lot of hair that comes out. should I be worried? I really don't want to lose my hair at this early stage in life. What do you think are the causes of this? keeping in mind I have not been depressed or stressed lately, can anyone give me any practical advice (in terms of diet, best shampoo to use) to ensure that I keep my hair strong and healthy. As for genetics, my dad is in his late 50s and he has a full head of hair, as for a brother who is in his late twenties, he has really bad hair loss.
Reply 1
It doesn't matter if your dad has a full head of hair if your brother, uncles or grandfathers don't as you can still suffer from male pattern hair loss.

You can choose to fight it with quack and not so quack hair treatments like regaine that cost lots of money OR you can start shaving your head.

There are plenty of bald men with partners.
Is your hair very long? Longer hair is more noticeable when it comes out than shorter hair anyway. I don't recommend treaments like regaine, it's very expensive and the effect it has on most people is minimal. Best thing to do is get a haircut that makes it less easy to see and hope to god it stops coming out as much I'm afraid. Good luck =)
Reply 3
Original post by Jamesislost
Is your hair very long? Longer hair is more noticeable when it comes out than shorter hair anyway. I don't recommend treaments like regaine, it's very expensive and the effect it has on most people is minimal. Best thing to do is get a haircut that makes it less easy to see and hope to god it stops coming out as much I'm afraid. Good luck =)

hey thanks for the advice. I would say my hair is perhaps 2 inches long, anyway, I wont say its gone to a point that I could almost see my scalp, its just that I have noticed a lot of hair falling out especially when I run my fingers through it when wet. I have really thick hair, and I want to deal with it before it gets any worse, are there is any good diet tips u guys could recommend (if there is such a thing) to keep my hair strong and health? thanks
hair oils are really good for your scalp and growth. olive oil, coconut, almond oil, any of those.
check out the 'vatika' brand in superdrug (an indian brand that sell different hair oils)
as for diet, lots of fruit and vegetables are the main thing.
Reply 5
Even i have been through the same phase in my life. I would recommend massaging your scalp with coconut oil at-least twice a week to make your hair strong and healthy. Also try to eat healthy foods containing proteins. Try to take less stress in life since this plays a big role in developing stress and causing hair loss.
Reply 6
Original post by Graduate_1990
I have been experiencing a lot of hair loss as of late. I am 23 year old, have a full head of thick hair. but in the past year or so I have been noticing alot of hair falling out especially when having a shower, it seems to me when I just run my fingers through my hair (when wet), there is a lot of hair that comes out. should I be worried? I really don't want to lose my hair at this early stage in life. What do you think are the causes of this? keeping in mind I have not been depressed or stressed lately, can anyone give me any practical advice (in terms of diet, best shampoo to use) to ensure that I keep my hair strong and healthy. As for genetics, my dad is in his late 50s and he has a full head of hair, as for a brother who is in his late twenties, he has really bad hair loss.

most likely it is hereditary. I'm guessing someone is losing hair on your mother's side? If it is "male pattern baldness", the cause is androgen receptors in your hair follicles.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do at all. Try not to shower with water that is too hot. Make sure you treat any dandruff. beware of hair styling gels, especially wax. Working out less (or not at all) may be useful.

Regaine would help, but you'd have to keep using it - cost.
Reply 7
I had heard something to do with testosterone and it's conversion to something else.
Reply 8
Original post by Coffinman
I had heard something to do with testosterone and it's conversion to something else.

yup, the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone by 5alpha-reductase...
Reply 9
I'm 24 and have been experiencing massive hair loss in the past 2-3 years. I'll probably get bald on the top of my head in the next few years.

First, I was worried. But now, I don't give a **** anymore. I have a very happy life, the most supporting family ever, a great job that pays well, and an amazing girlfriend, so why should I care?
Original post by Vindobona
I'm 24 and have been experiencing massive hair loss in the past 2-3 years. I'll probably get bald on the top of my head in the next few years.

First, I was worried. But now, I don't give a **** anymore. I have a very happy life, the most supporting family ever, a great job that pays well, and an amazing girlfriend, so why should I care?

Good attitude to have.

It happens to most men (and some women) so really anything you do is just an attempt to prolong the inevitable - and more often than not it'll be an expensive and mostly ineffective method too. However I do appreciate that most men are at least a little bothered about losing their hair, especially if it's earlier than they were expecting. A good diet will help, as will being kind to you hair - i.e. not using a lot of gel / wax and not dyeing it. However if it's going to fall out, it just will. I think the best thing to do when it becomes noticeable is go to a good barber's, be upfront about your hair loss and ask them what sort of hairstyle would best suit someone with thinning hair. A lot of people go for the very short / shaved look but there are a few others.

Talk to your mates - chances are there'll be a few people your age that are starting to lose their hair. If you can laugh about it and realise that it's a common, normal thing then that should help acceptance.

Also I think it's caused by high levels of testosterone being converted into something else, as someone else said on here. One of my thinning friends jokes that more baldness = more manliness as more testosterone. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest