The Student Room Group

I wasn't truthful and now I regret it, please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zilch
It's a white lie anywhere except academia. That's good enough for me.

Times are tough and people like him should try to help themselves, not make things harder.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the chances of anyone finding out about him is close to nil as long as he doesn't go on to become a Prof or something in the future.

I guarantee you that he will lose his place if he confesses. It might be the best choice in a perfect world but we clearly dont live in one.

I am very unlikely to go into a career in academia. I was just want to get a good degree from a good university under my belt with as little fuss as possible. I agree that I doubt the university will ever find out but what makes you guarantee that I will lose my place. I feel as if I stand a 50 50 chance if I confess. As much as the moral factor is an issue for me, it won't eat away at my soul or whatever if I don't let them know. At the same time, it was a great experience for me living in the states since it made me a part of who I am. It would just hurt to pretend that it never happened. The thing is I probably couldn't do it and with people I make close relationships with at my new uni I will definitely tell them all about it.
Original post by blueman3
I am very unlikely to go into a career in academia. I was just want to get a good degree from a good university under my belt with as little fuss as possible. I agree that I doubt the university will ever find out but what makes you guarantee that I will lose my place. I feel as if I stand a 50 50 chance if I confess. As much as the moral factor is an issue for me, it won't eat away at my soul or whatever if I don't let them know. At the same time, it was a great experience for me living in the states since it made me a part of who I am. It would just hurt to pretend that it never happened. The thing is I probably couldn't do it and with people I make close relationships with at my new uni I will definitely tell them all about it.

There's a saying to the effect that two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.
Reply 42

I'm a pretty understanding guy and even I wouldn't let you in if you confessed. Mostly because other people will be looking at me and judging me on my decision.

Basically once you put it on record, there are a lot more eyes on you and the pressure to kick you out comes from several sources.

It goes above the admission tutors, they have to explain to people higher up the chain about why they let someone in who lied about his past and committed plagiarism. That's not something most people will be willing to do since it ruins their reputation as well.

Some tutors might even feel uncomfortable working with you and ask that you not be admitted. Academia treats this as a huge offense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Zilch
I'm a pretty understanding guy and even I wouldn't let you in if you confessed. Mostly because other people will be looking at me and judging me on my decision.

Basically once you put it on record, there are a lot more eyes on you and the pressure to kick you out comes from several sources.

It goes above the admission tutors, they have to explain to people higher up the chain about why they let someone in who lied about his past and committed plagiarism. That's not something most people will be willing to do since it ruins their reputation as well.

Some tutors might even feel uncomfortable working with you and ask that you not be admitted. Academia treats this as a huge offense.
And even more so if it finds out that 'previous' was not declared.

However, there is the notion of redemption - and, we don't know the circumstances of his plagiarism, how it was detected, and whether the uni concerned had a particularly stringent view. Most people are allowed a second chance, and if I were the admissions tutor I would want good evidence that the OP had understood the seriousness of the situation and knew how he was going to avoid any repetition. I wouldn't turn him away on principle, myself. Then again, I am not an admissions tutor, and there are university rules and policies about these things.

The OP knows what he ought to do, and is plucking up the courage to do it. The admissions tutors will also know that courage was required here.
Hi there, Here is my situation and I would appreciate any pragmatic advice or useful perspectives. The last two years I have been at a higher education institution in the states, pursuing a NCAA basketball career. Things didn't work out and the bottom line is that I ended up getting kicked out for plagiarism this May. Obviously not a great place to be but luckily being a Brit and having good A levels (A*,A,B), I decided to apply late through UCAS. The only thing is that in the heat of the moment I decided to lie on personal statement and excluded the fact that I had already been in university abroad for the last two years saying instead that I had been working. This is an undeniable dishonest comment which I knowingly wrote. I ended receiving an unconditional offer for my first choice university which I was obviously extremely lucky given the circumstances. But now I really wish I had given the full truth from the beginning. Firstly because, the idea of starting from scratch after working so hard for 2 years, despite making some silly mistakes during that time, makes me feel ill and secondly because I don't want to feel like I'm living a lie when I go out there. Do you think there is any chance that my university will forgive my lack of honesty if I come clean now? I know that they have the right to kick me off the course if they find out something wasn't true on my application. Should I take that risk? Is it even worth it, since I'm not sure if they will even accept what I had during my time in the states to allow me to go straight into the 2nd year. My ideal outcome would be to start in the second year of my course. Looking at the course modules and comparing them to the modules I have completed already, I know that I have a solid enough foundation to do so. But is this too much to ask given how I screwed up and should I just be happy to be going to a top uni and keep my mouth shut? The thing is that I don't want to think of the last two years as a waste and sweep it under the rug as it never happened. If I ended up getting kicked off the course, do you think any other university will look at me during clearing? Really would appreciate any comments, thank you

Are you an idiot?! Do you want to get kicked out again and not get into uni?! All these successful people we see on the media are known liars.
Its your future, don't jepordise it again!
Reply 45
I am curious though since I live and study in North America.

Most, if not all universities here do not expel a person for a single incident of plagiarism, especially if you are a first/second year. The punishment ranges from a warning to a 6 month suspension. Almost never is the student expelled.

Only Graduate students are expelled out right since plagiarism for a person working towards a PhD is a huge deal.

An immature undergraduate though, is almost always given a second chance as long as they ask for forgiveness.

How did you manage this? What did you do exactly?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
if you had been honest in your personal statement, reflected on why you did it and what you learnt maybe they would still have taken you. Now you have lied again I doubt they would. Don't see any chance of them letting you benefit from your years of study.

If you decide to keep quiet I'd suggest telling friends you worked in the states while trying for a career as an athlete there. It didn't work out and you came back. Then you can talk about America a bit if you are careful about what you say. Dont lie on any future applications.

It probably will come out eventually as you are unlikely to be careful enough in what you say. You might want to come clean after a year and by then hopefully they will be able to see that you have changed and will let you stay.
Reply 47
Hi there, Here is my situation and I would appreciate any pragmatic advice or useful perspectives. The last two years I have been at a higher education institution in the states, pursuing a NCAA basketball career. Things didn't work out and the bottom line is that I ended up getting kicked out for plagiarism this May. Obviously not a great place to be but luckily being a Brit and having good A levels (A*,A,B), I decided to apply late through UCAS. The only thing is that in the heat of the moment I decided to lie on personal statement and excluded the fact that I had already been in university abroad for the last two years saying instead that I had been working. This is an undeniable dishonest comment which I knowingly wrote. I ended receiving an unconditional offer for my first choice university which I was obviously extremely lucky given the circumstances. But now I really wish I had given the full truth from the beginning. Firstly because, the idea of starting from scratch after working so hard for 2 years, despite making some silly mistakes during that time, makes me feel ill and secondly because I don't want to feel like I'm living a lie when I go out there. Do you think there is any chance that my university will forgive my lack of honesty if I come clean now? I know that they have the right to kick me off the course if they find out something wasn't true on my application. Should I take that risk? Is it even worth it, since I'm not sure if they will even accept what I had during my time in the states to allow me to go straight into the 2nd year. My ideal outcome would be to start in the second year of my course. Looking at the course modules and comparing them to the modules I have completed already, I know that I have a solid enough foundation to do so. But is this too much to ask given how I screwed up and should I just be happy to be going to a top uni and keep my mouth shut? The thing is that I don't want to think of the last two years as a waste and sweep it under the rug as it never happened. If I ended up getting kicked off the course, do you think any other university will look at me during clearing? Really would appreciate any comments, thank you

Dont tell them. If you do theres a chance they might kick you off the course/reject your offer if plagiarism was involved previously, and you dont want to risk ending up with nothing to do, and unable to do anything else next year. Also if you'd have to go through applying again next year. Its not for them to know what youve done in the rest of your life unless its at their university.

Dont see the last 2 years as a waste, just think about the friends, good times, things youve done, people youve banged etc - and living abroad as a good life experience, tell yourself this is your chance to do well and not screw up and go and do it.

If anything, having a foundation from previous years will ensure you get a 1st in your first year, so you'll have department rep when you start your 2nd year.

And you get the joys of student life and discussing student life on TSR for another 3 years!!!

Seriously though - DONT TELL THEM

edit: to the person who negged me - its important to realise here that this isnt about what is necessary right or wrong in practice, its about someone getting a degree or not getting a degree. It certainly isnt a case of right or wrong, or lying or telling the truth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by HashimKF
Being honest in this situation isn't a good idea. You will more than likely get kicked off. They really don't check these things as much as they make out and I imagine it would be hard to find out you went to uni in a different country.

You now have the opportunity for a fresh start at a good Uni. Just do everything by the book this time. Starting in first year doesn't have to be a bad thing. You can pass well in all your modules and become even more prepared to do well in the next year and freshers is the most fun part.

All of you guys getting on your moral high horse. Who is he hurting in this scenario. If he won't plagiarise again and knows he made a mistake I don't see the issue.

i agree with this- you did something in the past, you've decided to change and want a fresh start, unis dont look at it as a "fresh start" they look at it as "new student, needs good grades and a good record." you clearly want to start over, and dont want to make the same mistake twice. who are you harming? although you clearly have a moral conscience, it is only yourself that this situation effects, and its not like you cheated all of your a levels and plagarised 24/7 (i hope?). its entirely up to you ^_^
Reply 49
Original post by Zilch
I am curious though since I live and study in North America.

Most, if not all universities here do not expel a person for a single incident of plagiarism, especially if you are a first/second year. The punishment ranges from a warning to a 6 month suspension. Almost never is the student expelled.

Only Graduate students are expelled out right since plagiarism for a person working towards a PhD is a huge deal.

An immature undergraduate though, is almost always given a second chance as long as they ask for forgiveness.

How did you manage this? What did you do exactly?

You're right it wasn't only one incident. Of what the americans term 'academic dishonor' .I really did screw up hard whilst out in the states which makes even more of a challenge to tell a university about it. In all honesty though most of what I did was not malicious and was due either to laziness or ignorance of the rules. The first incident was doing a homework with a fellow student, which in other classes was allowed but apparently not in this class (math/physics class). Next I was caught talking in an exam, the same week freshman year, with the same student in the same class. Actually a fellow student told on us to the professor. Next year I lazily failed to citate a short lab report that Iwas doing at last minute.com. It was like a sentence and a picture that I didn't citate. I was lucky not to get suspended at this point. This all happened early on in the year and I thought I had changed peoples opinion of me by working my arse off. And finally after I thought I had put all that stupid stuff behind me I was told by the department in literally the last day of the semester that they concluded that my computer program I had turned in for the final was of too high quality to be my own work. Obviously my past didn't reflect to well on me during the hearing and the professor did a good job of making look like I did it. Btw it was the same professor each time. In all honesty it was 100 percent my own work, for what it is worth. I wrote a very long appeal letter which was thrown out and a week later I was told never to return. So there you go that's the full story. in the previous 3 incidents I was cooperative and admitted to what I did. I received empathy because of this. The final time however I absolutely denied all of the allegations and it was tough for me to contain my emotions. I was just so angry at my professor who thought he was being such a hardo. He reasoned well and was well prepared and I hadn't. At the school I went to (private and rich) the admin would never go against the opinion of the professor no matter how little evidence the professor had. And I didn't know how to defend myself. Something which I learned through the process. (sorry for the ramble)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
You're right it wasn't only one incident. Of what the americans term 'academic dishonor' .I really did screw up hard whilst out in the states which makes even more of a challenge to tell a university about it. In all honesty though most of what I did was not malicious and was due either to laziness or ignorance of the rules. The first incident was doing a homework with a fellow student, which in other classes was allowed but apparently not in this class (math/physics class). Next I was caught talking in an exam, the same week freshman year, with the same student in the same class. Actually a fellow student told on us to the professor. Next year a lazily failed to citate a piece a short lab report that was doing a last minute.com. It was like a sentence and a picture that I didn't citate. And finally after I thought I had put all that stupid stuff behind me I was told by the department in literally the last day of the semester that they concluded that my computer program I had turned in for the final was of too high quality to be my own work. Obviously my past didn't reflect to well on me during the hearing and the professor did a good job of making look like I did it. In all honesty it was 100 percent my own work, for what it is worth. a wrote an appeal letter which was thrown out and a week later I was told never to return. So there you go that's the full story.

If this is the case then dont tell anyone for sure. You come off as a repeat offender which is very bad.

Keep it to yourself and lie about those two years if anyone asks, though I doubt anyone will. It's so easy honestly to do this. Just say that you joined school a year late while very young and had a gap year after A Levels. There, you come of as a normal new fresher.

You're inviting trouble by revealing this to the tutors and other people at your uni. Dont do it.
You're right it wasn't only one incident. Of what the americans term 'academic dishonor' .I really did screw up hard whilst out in the states which makes even more of a challenge to tell a university about it. In all honesty though most of what I did was not malicious and was due either to laziness or ignorance of the rules. The first incident was doing a homework with a fellow student, which in other classes was allowed but apparently not in this class (math/physics class). Next I was caught talking in an exam, the same week freshman year, with the same student in the same class. Actually a fellow student told on us to the professor. Next year a lazily failed to citate a piece a short lab report that was doing a last minute.com. It was like a sentence and a picture that I didn't citate. And finally after I thought I had put all that stupid stuff behind me I was told by the department in literally the last day of the semester that they concluded that my computer program I had turned in for the final was of too high quality to be my own work. Obviously my past didn't reflect to well on me during the hearing and the professor did a good job of making look like I did it. In all honesty it was 100 percent my own work, for what it is worth. a wrote an appeal letter which was thrown out and a week later I was told never to return. So there you go that's the full story.

Also going out on a limb but I too think there is next to no chance of you getting caught. As far as I know universities do not go about making enquiries into standard UCAS applicants at foreign universities. Even if you do tell friends and stuff, there is no reason for them to know that you stated otherwise on the UCAS form. Even if they did know that, they would then have to snitch on you to a prof, who would have to care enough that you once plagiarised stuff to take it further (likelihood of this varies, but I'd say unless you're in a small collegiate university the chances of it both getting to a prof and being reported aren't too huge).

Personally I don't think this is a massive thing - it's not like lying about grades or anything. If you make sure you don't do it again, plagiarism will have absolutely zero effect on your degree, which you can gain through hard work and intelligence and all that. If you tell them you risk being removed for something which need not have any bearing on your upcoming degree.

Maybe I'm wrong or morally bankrupt though. I suppose you have to go with your conscience.
you have nothing to regret bro

they will never find out
You're right it wasn't only one incident. Of what the americans term 'academic dishonor' .I really did screw up hard whilst out in the states which makes even more of a challenge to tell a university about it. In all honesty though most of what I did was not malicious and was due either to laziness or ignorance of the rules. The first incident was doing a homework with a fellow student, which in other classes was allowed but apparently not in this class (math/physics class). Next I was caught talking in an exam, the same week freshman year, with the same student in the same class. Actually a fellow student told on us to the professor. Next year I lazily failed to citate a short lab report that Iwas doing at last minute.com. It was like a sentence and a picture that I didn't citate. I was lucky not to get suspended at this point. This all happened early on in the year and I thought I had changed peoples opinion of me by working my arse off. And finally after I thought I had put all that stupid stuff behind me I was told by the department in literally the last day of the semester that they concluded that my computer program I had turned in for the final was of too high quality to be my own work. Obviously my past didn't reflect to well on me during the hearing and the professor did a good job of making look like I did it. Btw it was the same professor each time. In all honesty it was 100 percent my own work, for what it is worth. I wrote a very long appeal letter which was thrown out and a week later I was told never to return. So there you go that's the full story. in the previous 3 incidents I was cooperative and admitted to what I did. I received empathy because of this. The final time however I absolutely denied all of the allegations and it was tough for me to contain my emotions. I was just so angry at my professor who thought he was being such a hardo. He reasoned well and was well prepared and I hadn't. At the school I went to (private and rich) the admin would never go against the opinion of the professor no matter how little evidence the professor had. And I didn't know how to defend myself. Something which I learned through the process. (sorry for the ramble)

The things highlighted in bold and the fact that you lied on your application makes me think there are some people that deserve the university place more so than you...

I should definitely phone Student Services at the University (anonymously if you can) and see what they advise you to do. I'm sorry to hear that your eventual reason for being thrown out seems to be due to a Professor having a personal vendetta against you and good luck in deciding what to do!
Reply 54
Original post by Poolwizard
wow i LOL'd irl.:confused:

This ROFL.

String of people saying tell the uni then pops in "AspiringLawStudent" with don't tell them lol'd so hard.
Reply 55
What you did was wrong but I hope that things work out for you.
So you got done for cheating and now want to admit to lying as well? Yeh i'm sure they'll let you keep your place. :rolleyes:
Just going to put my 2 cents here - I'm almost certain that because of the data protection act, that universities most certainly cannot liaise with one another and ask for details of past students.
I'm concerned that if you admit this to your university they will know you have both plagiarised and lied on your application. This makes you look very dishonest and untrustworthy and I would imagine you would be blacklisted in some way.

It's a tricky one because I agree it doesn't sit very well morally.

From a logical standpoint, I would say the benefit to not mentioning it would outweigh the risk of being found out. If you are found out I think you would be treated much the same as if you come clean now - it's already too late, you've lied and received an offer.
Reply 59
What would be the point in telling the truth now? You made a mistake, learn from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending