The Student Room Group

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by madders94
Have you definitely been rejected by your uni? If not, is there any way they might average it out and use the A* to counteract the B?
Otherwise, if you're 2 marks away, I'd say it's worth a priority remark.

Thanks for the advice, my results were released before Track was so I started panicking when I posted this. I was accepted with A*AB but have sent the B off for a non-priority remark as it will bug me for the rest of my existence knowing it was so close to an A. :smile:
Original post by >Username<
What service would you recommend? EAR Service 1 or Service 2?

Service 1 is just a clerical recheck, i.e., adding up your marks again. If you want a full remark that needs to be service 2.
Original post by Ry_p94
Thanks for the advice, my results were released before Track was so I started panicking when I posted this. I was accepted with A*AB but have sent the B off for a non-priority remark as it will bug me for the rest of my existence knowing it was so close to an A. :smile:

Congrats :smile: go for it! Enjoy uni :h:
I got BBBC at AS (plus B in critical thinking, one UMS off an A!) but was expecting AAAB or AABB. I really want to apply for physics at uni but most places want AAA or things like that, is there any way I'll even get an offer with those results? Also, if I want a couple of papers back but so they could possibly be remarked afterwards if necessary, how do I go about doing this, and does it need to be done before I go back to school?
I HAVE FAILED COMPLETELY...GOT A "B" AND SOMETHING LIKE EITHER A "D", "E" OR "U" for my other 2 grades

what do i do now??

will the clearing vacancies still accept me??

i dont know what to do? the clearing courses i wanna choose ask for like 300 UCAS points...........

plus i have my OCD medical proof letter here with me, my life is ruined ..
Will ABBB be good enough for Russell Group universities? The grades are in mathematics, biology, chemistry and English literature respectively. My GCSE's were A*A*A*A*AAAABB. I don't want to go down the medicine/dentistry route and am interested in studying a degree involving science/health.
Reply 26
these are my grades (AS LEVEL) :
english A (86%)
biology B (75%)
geogh B (72%)
maths D (55%)

i need aab-abb for zoology, including biology and one science (which is maths) but those three grades were ABD. i can get A*A for my bio and english predicted grades but will they raise my math grade to a C? and considering geogh had a minimal workload and will be the same the next year, shall i continue with it so i get predicted grades of A*ACB/A*ADB? will i get a zoology offer on those predicted grades? im retaking unit 1 bio and C1 AND C2 for maths, so i can easily raise my grade, especially in biology.
Original post by Magenta96
Will ABBB be good enough for Russell Group universities? The grades are in mathematics, biology, chemistry and English literature respectively. My GCSE's were A*A*A*A*AAAABB. I don't want to go down the medicine/dentistry route and am interested in studying a degree involving science/health.

Yep! Definitely good enough, time to start looking at unis and courses and seeing where you qualify/where you'd enjoy studying!

Original post by svasstheo
these are my grades (AS LEVEL) :
english A (86%)
biology B (75%)
geogh B (72%)
maths D (55%)

i need aab-abb for zoology, including biology and one science (which is maths) but those three grades were ABD. i can get A*A for my bio and english predicted grades but will they raise my math grade to a C? and considering geogh had a minimal workload and will be the same the next year, shall i continue with it so i get predicted grades of A*ACB/A*ADB? will i get a zoology offer on those predicted grades? im retaking unit 1 bio and C1 AND C2 for maths, so i can easily raise my grade, especially in biology.

Do you like Geography?

I definitely think you're in with a chance of getting an offer with those predictions. A*AB is great. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by study beats
I HAVE FAILED COMPLETELY...GOT A "B" AND SOMETHING LIKE EITHER A "D", "E" OR "U" for my other 2 grades

what do i do now??

will the clearing vacancies still accept me??

i dont know what to do? the clearing courses i wanna choose ask for like 300 UCAS points...........

plus i have my OCD medical proof letter here with me, my life is ruined ..

"something like a D, E or U"... so what were the actual grades?! One B, and what were the other 2, quite a difference between a D and a U.
Anyway, Uni's do drop at clearing, how much they drop by though is a lot to do with amount of applicants etc, and what your actual grades were!
Original post by theplum
"something like a D, E or U"... so what were the actual grades?! One B, and what were the other 2, quite a difference between a D and a U.
Anyway, Uni's do drop at clearing, how much they drop by though is a lot to do with amount of applicants etc, and what your actual grades were!

the grades are BDD :frown:

also i sent a medical proof letter to my firm university because they said you can send it...i dont know if they took that into consideration :frown:.....i dont think they did because they never replied? my medical condition really affected my education and my grades suffered...

dont know what to do
I got my AS results and don't know how to feel, I feel like I've failed. My original plan was to do Computer Science. I wanted to drop Further Maths originally; before I even got my results, but I honestly don't know where I will end up taking Physics to A2, would redoing my AS Physics in year 13 help? Having gotten really close to an A in maths I presume I will be predicted that but I honestly have no idea where I can go with (potentially) ABD predicted grades. My college have a policy of predicting you the grade you obtained at AS unless you were close to the next grade or other extenuating circumstances. I honestly don't know what to do :frown:

Maths - B (236/240 UMS)
Economics - B
Physics - E
Further Maths - E
Reply 31
Original post by study beats
the grades are BDD :frown:

also i sent a medical proof letter to my firm university because they said you can send it...i dont know if they took that into consideration :frown:.....i dont think they did because they never replied? my medical condition really affected my education and my grades suffered...

dont know what to do

Ok so that gives you 220 in total, there are still uni's that will accept this. For the letter that you sent, last year when I got my a-level results I attached a letter because I had quite a bad bug before one of my exams, I didn't get a reply, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'd say look at clearing places, some uni's are 240 entry requirements, so for clearing they may well drop to 220. Try to be careful not to compromise too much though and end up somewhere you don't want to be.
Only other alternative I can think of is resitting a-levels at a college, and then going to uni later
Original post by theplum
Ok so that gives you 220 in total, there are still uni's that will accept this. For the letter that you sent, last year when I got my a-level results I attached a letter because I had quite a bad bug before one of my exams, I didn't get a reply, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'd say look at clearing places, some uni's are 240 entry requirements, so for clearing they may well drop to 220. Try to be careful not to compromise too much though and end up somewhere you don't want to be.
Only other alternative I can think of is resitting a-levels at a college, and then going to uni later

cant i just apply to a uni/course that asks for 300 points? i will explain everything and also tell them that i have medical proof on how my grades and education was affected......

i really dont wanna go to any other uni
Reply 33
I got A history B economics and C physics today at AS level. Will I still be able to apply for oxford, lse, notts, kings, ucl and queens?
I've just received my AS level results and I'm thinking about a remark for 2 of my subjects. Do I have to contact my school for this or get in touch directly with the board? Thanks.

I have AABCC at the moment, if I manage to get A*A*A at A level overall for three subjects but still have two C's from As level, do I have a chance to get into Oxbridge? Cheers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
I got ABC and needed ABB
My firm was a joint honours History and music
They offered me a singe honours music course

I found out my C was in my 3rd subject and was 2 UMS off so i'm getting a remark and i've also rang the uni.

So now I wait...

Didn't expect this.. thought it would be a simple rejection or acceptance.

WHY ME.
Reply 36
Umm Hi everyone I just got my as results and I got 2 C's in history and sociology a U in law and an E in psychology.I have to drop both law and psychology and now im picking up as business studies next year.

Im looking to go to uni so would it be better to stay at 6th form and finish business studies off to be a whole a level and go then or do history and sociology at a2, get an as in business and do an epq and see if universities will accept me with an epq?

Please help :s-smilie:
Reply 37
I'm really nervous about writing what I got (AS) on here, since almost everyone get amazing results but I really need some advice.
My AS results are horrible and I don't know what to do. I got DDE which is a huge shock because I was expecting at least BCC.
I'm not sure what to do now. I know there's no point in even applying to university because no university would accept these results.
Is retaking year 12 the best choice here?
Also, I was wondering what a foundation programme in university is?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Layla_Rose
I'm really nervous about writing what I got (AS) on here, since almost everyone get amazing results but I really need some advice.
My AS results are horrible and I don't know what to do. I got DDE which is a huge shock because I was expecting at least BCC.
I'm not sure what to do now. I know there's no point in even applying to university because no university would accept these results.
Is retaking year 12 the best choice here?
Also, I was wondering what a foundation programme in university is?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

A foundation programme is basically for those who might not be quite ready to jump straight into studying at university. So consider 1st year of university to be level 1. A foundation year would be level 0 and is a good way for people to get accustomed to the way university works. It is a good option if you don't feel you'll be able to get a place at university with your grades.
Got a D in AQA AS Law despite thinking that it went very well, probably predicting a B/C minimum. I revised it hard and thought that I had all the content down to get the marks. It seems that throughout my class there are Ds/Es when they were expecting a lot higher. What to dooo? Get the paper back? Grill the teachers?

Quick Reply

Latest