The Student Room Group

Should I give up?

Hi! So I just got back from getting my AS results and I got CDDU (ICT, Chemistry, Maths, Physics) and I am obviously dropping physics haha..

The course I am hoping to do at uni is Korean studies and the requirement is ABB

Admittedly I don't think I tried my best for AS, but i really want to get into this course and I am ready to step up my game big time for A2 (and retake some AS modules). I am really super determined to get my grades up this coming year!

Do you think it would be possible to get the grades if I seriously put my head to it? Or would it just be a waste of time and I should give up on the course I dream of doing and find something else instead? :confused:
Original post by togepi
Hi! So I just got back from getting my AS results and I got CDDU (ICT, Chemistry, Maths, Physics) and I am obviously dropping physics haha..

The course I am hoping to do at uni is Korean studies and the requirement is ABB

Admittedly I don't think I tried my best for AS, but i really want to get into this course and I am ready to step up my game big time for A2 (and retake some AS modules). I am really super determined to get my grades up this coming year!

Do you think it would be possible to get the grades if I seriously put my head to it? Or would it just be a waste of time and I should give up on the course I dream of doing and find something else instead? :confused:

Hey, You shouldn't give up, you can always turn things around and it is certainly possible, If you feel that you will struggle to get to your desired grades from where you are however then you should certainly consider retaking year 12 which is your entitlement, no one should give up on their dream, you only get one life. You can definitely take the positives out of this situation and grow from it by putting your best ability to the task, without sounding arrogant it isn't too hard to get an A or B, they give you comprehensive books with the info, you just need solid planning and preparation and crack the exam structure and youll have winning formula

Perfect Planning (and) Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Reply 2
I got really poor results, but I'm determined to do better maybe with an extra year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Anything is possible, but you do have to put in the extra time and effort in, to make it worthwhile. You can continue into A2, whiles planning to retake some exams/units from AS in summer 2014.

Make sure that you don't do too many retakes as you may find yourself getting overwhelmed with exams next year.
Reply 4
Original post by AverageExcellence
Hey, You shouldn't give up, you can always turn things around and it is certainly possible, If you feel that you will struggle to get to your desired grades from where you are however then you should certainly consider retaking year 12 which is your entitlement, no one should give up on their dream, you only get one life. You can definitely take the positives out of this situation and grow from it by putting your best ability to the task, without sounding arrogant it isn't too hard to get an A or B, they give you comprehensive books with the info, you just need solid planning and preparation and crack the exam structure and youll have winning formula

Perfect Planning (and) Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Thanks for the support :^) I definitely think I didn't prepare/plan/revise well enough for my AS exams, so i'm really going to up my game for A2.
Reply 5
Original post by Tonkin
Anything is possible, but you do have to put in the extra time and effort in, to make it worthwhile. You can continue into A2, whiles planning to retake some exams/units from AS in summer 2014.

Make sure that you don't do too many retakes as you may find yourself getting overwhelmed with exams next year.

Yeah I have to admit I didn't put in the extra time and effort for AS exams so I'm determined to put in twice the extra time and effort for A2.

Do you think I should retake the modules where I didn't do so good (D's) or the modules where I did OK but was a few marks off the next grade boundary (C's and B's) ?
Original post by togepi
Yeah I have to admit I didn't put in the extra time and effort for AS exams so I'm determined to put in twice the extra time and effort for A2.

Do you think I should retake the modules where I didn't do so good (D's) or the modules where I did OK but was a few marks off the next grade boundary (C's and B's) ?

The trouble with retaking too many of your ASs is that you just overload yourself with exams given the fact that you have new exams to prepare for as well as revise old ones. I know a girl in a similar boat and due to the extra workload she didn't do much better than she did the first time. You should calculate what you need to get in order to get ABB. Its ok to sit one or two exams though
Reply 7
The trouble with retaking too many of your ASs is that you just overload yourself with exams given the fact that you have new exams to prepare for as well as revise old ones. I know a girl in a similar boat and due to the extra workload she didn't do much better than she did the first time. You should calculate what you need to get in order to get ABB. Its ok to sit one or two exams though

What do you think I should get my AS grades up to in order to get ABB (Or at the very least BBB) at A2/Overall ?
Last year i had BCDD, retook some units in year 13 and now ive left college with A*AB. YOU CAN DO IT!! Infact i got a U in the subject i got an a* in the very first time i attempted it. I promise you if you really work hard you can do it. If you ever need any revision tips feel free to pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by togepi
What do you think I should get my AS grades up to in order to get ABB (Or at the very least BBB) at A2/Overall ?

you should look at your UMS, Ideally you want as high as possible AS to put less stress on the A2, but if you want to get about 3 Bs/ As and Bs in order to match the feat in the A2
Reply 10
you should look at your UMS, Ideally you want as high as possible AS to put less stress on the A2, but if you want to get about 3 Bs/ As and Bs in order to match the feat in the A2

My ICT overall UMS was 137 so 3 away from being a B... Is it worth retaking? I could definitely retake it to get a B.

For Maths/Chem i got 156/157 so i'll definitely retake some modules...
Original post by togepi
My ICT overall UMS was 137 so 3 away from being a B... Is it worth retaking? I could definitely retake it to get a B.

For Maths/Chem i got 156/157 so i'll definitely retake some modules...

If I were you id retake the year, it might take too much work and too much pressure on you to guarantee your ABB which you need. Im not saying its impossible but it would be extremely difficult.

You'd know most of the content already and you'd have all the time to prepare and ready yourself. Some people who do that with the adequate mindset and preparation can walk away with AAA+

You could then do the A2 ICT while retaking so ull have less work to do in year 13, it could be possible to get AAA
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by togepi

Do not give up!!... AS levels do not determine what you can achieve. I got ACC in my first round of AS exams yet now I'm off to Sheffield to study Law in September with ABB (one B 2UMS of an A).

I think what a lot of people lack rather than the knowledge, is exam technique. There are so many smart people that fail because they simply don't know how to present the information in a way specific to A Level exams. After my AS levels I spent an hour a week working on exam technique alone and my grades improved with almost immediate effect.

Secondly, AS exams can be a massive wakeup call for some people. For me, I decided to actually get serious with my education and to be honest I've spent most weekends since around March revising.

At least continue to A2, then you will know whether you should do something else after A Levels if you don't get the grades for your uni. There's no point giving up now, your already half way there :smile:
Original post by togepi

I got 2 D's at AS and managed to turn them into high B's along with retaking modules from other subjects - to be honest it was hard work and I felt I couldn't put in 100% into my A2 exams like I wanted to, but it is certainly doable and if you are determined I'm sure you will get the grades you need :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest