The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do =(

--
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Know how u feel, got BCC 4ums of A in chem 8 ums of B in law needed ABC
Reply 2
Original post by Toxicated
Hi all, today I received my results and I got REALLY high C's in all Biology Chemistry and Maths. I have an offer from MMU only and that's for Biomedical Science. I really don't want to go to that Uni and really am considering retaking a year for a few resits to push them C's into B's and maybe one of them into an A.

What are you opinions on this, is this a good idea? I want to get into a good uni like University of Manchester etc. If I resit the year, I know I can push all 3 of my grades up to a B atleast. I'm like 15-30 UMS short for each.

Many thanks,

Will

Congratulations on your results

3 years and 40k of debt is a lot of money to spend on somewhere and something you are unsure of

MMU have some visit days lined up

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/clearing/visit-days/

Why not go along and have another chat before making any final decisions
Hi all, today I received my results and I got REALLY high C's in all Biology Chemistry and Maths. I have an offer from MMU only and that's for Biomedical Science. I really don't want to go to that Uni and really am considering retaking a year for a few resits to push them C's into B's and maybe one of them into an A.

What are you opinions on this, is this a good idea? I want to get into a good uni like University of Manchester etc. If I resit the year, I know I can push all 3 of my grades up to a B atleast. I'm like 15-30 UMS short for each.

Many thanks

Check with Manchester that they will consider students taking A levels over 3 years. You'd also need to get your school or college to confirm that they'll take you for resits, or find an alternative college to sit them at.

Many thanks

Even if you retake, Manchester will remain something of a stretch unless you do get A&B grades across the board - though of course there are plenty of fantastic non-Mancunian universities that will take you. They tend not to take any C grades whatsoever, and they can be a bit funny about resits in some departments.

Have you had a look at Clearing to see what might be available there? A lot of unis have gone into Clearing, and some are taking surprisingly low grades.

Are you happy with the idea of taking a gap year? You need to have something to fill the time - twiddling your thumbs for a year doesn't look good.
(edited 10 years ago)
--
(edited 5 years ago)
hi, yeah i tried looking through clearing for alternative courses like biology and chemistry and most Unis i prefer are not accepting me due to my low grades =( ( i called them up). I'm currently a volunteer at a hospital and have been for about 3 months now. I also can't seem to find any courses with a foundation year in a Uni i also like. I'm totally fine with the idea of taking a year out for resits.

i spoke to my college about re taking a year and they said they are fine with it as long as there are space left for me after every first year student have enrolled. If not I can resit some modules as a private candidate there.

If you're sure that you don't want to go to MMU, then it sounds like a gap year may be a better option :smile:
--
(edited 5 years ago)
yeah, I've decided to do a third year now thanks!=) But there's one more problem, I currently still hold an offer from MMU and I haven't told them I'm going to cancel yet. My college said they will let me know if I still have a place there for 3rd year around sept 3rd next month. Is it too late for me to cancel then and will the Uni be angry? :s My course starts on 23rd Sept if I were to go MMU. Also would I need to get in touch with student finance to cancel my application for this year too??

If you don't want another offer from them then it doesn't matter if they're angry.

You don't need to bother about canceling SF - if you never enrol, it will never be paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
--
(edited 5 years ago)
ah ok thanks^^ won't i need to remove any information or do anything in my student finance account? because atm it shows an application for MMU. If i cancel my offer with the Uni and let UCAS know, will student finance automatically know I won't be going there and so my student finance application will be cancelled without me doing anything like contacting them?

sorry to confuse you but you do need to phone student finance and cancel your application otherwise when you come to apply when you do go to university your old application will still be on the system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending