The Student Room Group

Major Help Needed

Received my A-Level results today and like many not as expected.
I got:
Economics- A star
Chemistry- A
Biology- C
EPQ- E

My plan: Resit all and try getting everything an A star or A. Got my results and then apply in 2015 for med school but apply in 2014 for pharmacy and do that while apply for medicine in 2015 just as a back up.
Would you guys consider this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by king101
I got:
Economics- A star
Chemistry- A
Biology- C
EPQ- E

My plan: Resit all and try getting everything an A star or A. Got my results and then apply in 2015 for med school but apply in 2014 for pharmacy and do that while apply for medicine in 2015 just as a back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't apply for medicine whilst doing your pharmacy course, if that is what you are suggesting. You have to have finished or be finishing your pharmacy course (3 years of it) before you can apply for medicine. That would make it 2017 entry.
Reply 2
Original post by Kyalimers
You can't apply for medicine whilst doing your pharmacy course, if that is what you are suggesting. You have to have finished or be finishing your pharmacy course (3 years of it) before you can apply for medicine. That would make it 2017 entry.

Why? What happens if you do apply via ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by king101
Why? What happens if you do apply via ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not looked upon well at all. You've basically shown you don't have commitment! There are some options nevertheless.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course
Reply 4
It's not looked upon well at all. You've basically shown you don't have commitment! There are some options nevertheless.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course

How doed it not show commitment? Its more like you diying to do medicine than any other course. I cant stand biomed, pharmacy but if I cant get in for med that way..ill continue with pharmacy then move to medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by king101
I got:
Economics- A star
Chemistry- A
Biology- C
EPQ- E

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can apply to medicine within your first year of university, but there are only a few that are happy for you to do so.
Reply 6
Original post by king101
How doed it not show commitment? Its more like you diying to do medicine than any other course. I cant stand biomed, pharmacy but if I cant get in for med that way..ill continue with pharmacy then move to medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you're jumping ship before completing the course. This quite evidently shows a lack of commitment, regardless of the reason!
Because you're jumping ship before completing the course. This quite evidently shows a lack of commitment, regardless of the reason!

There are a handful that will accept transfers from 1st year of other degrees.

Original post by king101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be wary that by starting a degree as you will seriously limit your options to apply unless you plan to finish the degree. If you choose biomed or pharmacy and don't get in your first year, your only option will be to finish the degree and apply postgrad. Which will be difficult if you cannot stand the subject, especially if you're going to have to do well.
Reply 8
Original post by king101
I got:
Economics- A star
Chemistry- A
Biology- C
EPQ- E

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't resit all. Just Biology and get it up to an A. You'll be fine with A*AA
Reply 9
Original post by BethaneyJ

I did tell him this with the link to the wiki.

Reading back, it was poorly phrased on my part :rolleyes:.
I did tell him this with the link to the wiki.

Reading back, it was poorly phrased on my part :rolleyes:.

My apologies :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by BethaneyJ

Be wary that by starting a degree as you will seriously limit your options to apply unless you plan to finish the degree. If you choose biomed or pharmacy and don't get in your first year, your only option will be to finish the degree and apply postgrad. Which will be difficult if you cannot stand the subject, especially if you're going to have to do well.

Thank you for the advice and thank you everyone for the information provided.
Original post by king101
I got:
Economics- A star
Chemistry- A
Biology- C
EPQ- E

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not apply this year with predicted resit grades? You could apply for Exeter, Plymouth, BSMS and maybe UEA with just resit Bio. Put Pharm as your 5th choice if you like, but if you're planning it as a back up remember that it's a 4yr course so you're adding even more time.
Reply 13
Original post by nexttime
The reason is beside the point - the fact is doing what you are suggesting is very unlikely to result in a medicine offer and is definitely NOT recommended. The best option you have in terms of studying medicine is probably to apply anyway, get AAA+ at A2 then take a (productive) gap year if/when you get rejected and re-apply with good grades. If you do take up pharmacy, you need to not count on getting in next year and instead look at the grad entry options (which are more competitive).

Mind me asking why is it unlikely to result in an offer from those universities willing to accept this path.

You say the best way to go about this is;
1/ Apply anyway *If I do this I'll get rejected straight because I don't meet entry requirments
2/ Get AAA *I'm gonna try getting A* A* A OR even maybe A* A* A* this time round.
3/ You say a gap year.

Well using that method I can apply to: BSMS, UEA, Keele, Aberdeen (with a regular chance like everyone else of getting an offer)

In comparison too say doing the method I say i.e. doing Pharmacy 1st year and applying I can apply to and they say there okay with this method;
BSMS, Plymouth and QUB

But if we look at it the method you told me I have no back up. What happens if BSMS, UEA and Keele say reject and I would have wasted 2 years!
Reply 14
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Why not apply this year with predicted resit grades? You could apply for Exeter, Plymouth, BSMS and maybe UEA with just resit Bio. Put Pharm as your 5th choice if you like, but if you're planning it as a back up remember that it's a 4yr course so you're adding even more time.

You mean 2014? BSMS I rang up and they said they wont accept me for resitting unless I had a B in biology. They would only accept my resisted grades once I actually have them. Same with UEA/ Exeter and Plymouth don't take resits
Reply 15
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Just read this from the wiki page:

Exeter “We do accept applications from students who are currently in the first year of another degree. If it has been less than two years since you have completed your A Levels, you are required to take the UKCAT test. Additionally, we will typically require A*AA-AAA at A level. We would specifically require A level chemistry and either Biology or Physics. Biology must be achieved at a minimum of grade C at AS level if not taken at A level. You are required to achieve four AS levels at a minimum of grade C.” OKAY

So with the resits and once that's done in get in pharmacy and then apply to all the unis I mentioned plus Exeter!
Original post by king101
You mean 2014? BSMS I rang up and they said they wont accept me for resitting unless I had a B in biology. They would only accept my resisted grades once I actually have them. Same with UEA/ Exeter and Plymouth don't take resits

We just spoke to Plymouth and Exeter's admissions tutors personally and both said they would accept resits. Plymouth consider each applicant on an individual basis, and Exeter accept resits so long as you get the grades less than 2 years before applying to them.

Southampton will also consider you if you're only resitting one subject.
Reply 17
Original post by king101
Mind me asking why is it unlikely to result in an offer from those universities willing to accept this path.

You say the best way to go about this is;
1/ Apply anyway *If I do this I'll get rejected straight because I don't meet entry requirments
2/ Get AAA *I'm gonna try getting A* A* A OR even maybe A* A* A* this time round.
3/ You say a gap year.

Well using that method I can apply to: BSMS, UEA, Keele, Aberdeen (with a regular chance like everyone else of getting an offer)

In comparison too say doing the method I say i.e. doing Pharmacy 1st year and applying I can apply to and they say there okay with this method;
BSMS, Plymouth and QUB

But if we look at it the method you told me I have no back up. What happens if BSMS, UEA and Keele say reject and I would have wasted 2 years!

Ah - i misread your post as AS grades not A2s. My mistake.

I think you do have a more reasonable grasp of your options in that case, although it sounds like some of your sources could do with checking from the other replies on this thread.

Bugger, accidentally negged. Apologies.
Original post by king101
I got:
Economics- A star
Chemistry- A
Biology- C
EPQ- E

Resit just Biology. Don't resit all of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't start a course, you don't intend to finish. Very few medical schools will look kindly on this. It will limit your options very quickly. Imagine if you don't get into medical school after year 1, you're stuck on a course that you don't want to do and you've also used up your student finance loan allocation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending