The Student Room Group

Failed A-levels, Now allowed to continue at school

Sorry, these are my AS-Levels, not A levels

Maths-u
Physics-u
Geography-D
Economics-D

Please do not slate me. It was 150% my fault. Without wanting to sound arrogant, i am very clever, and i terms of natural intelligence I would definitely be up there in the top of the school. you're probably thinking i'm not-but trust me i am. Please don't slate me like i have seen on other threads, i'm feeling really low right now and you'll just have to take my word for it. My problem was i did literally NO work for the whole year. I did NO homework AT ALL and slept in every lesson all lesson. I guess i just found it so unbelievably boring and i realise now that i should not have stayed on for a levels as it's simple not for me.

But i do want to go to uni, but i have been kicked out my school. What options do i have? Whatever i do i will definitely not be as unbelievably lazy as i was this year, and i can get some decent results one day i hope.

I'm going to speak with the school tomorrow, but what can i do? Preferably i would like to go uni next year and not start from scratch by re-doing the year at collage

All help is appreciated.

UPDATE
as things stand i am going to continue on at school doing just two a levels, while at the same time resisting the as levels in those subjects. Then in a years time i will go to collage and get a couple of as levels to boost my UCAS points hopefully then i will know what i want out of life and will have enough grades to get my into a decent uni. Does this sound like a plan?

And thanks so much for everybodys help
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any idea of preferred courses to do at university?
Reply 2
Perhaps you could spend the next year doing a BTEC or an Access course through a college, and get into uni that way? What sort of course were you hoping to do?

It's unfair of people to judge, you're the only one who knows the full circumstances. Sorry your results didn't go better for you :console:
Reply 3
Yeah your best bet would probably be to apply to a college and go to uni through that route.
I would agree with the previous poster, an access course might be the best option to be able to 'prove' what you are capable of in terms of gaining some further education qualifications.

We offer a range of courses available in Clearing, so it may also be worth seeing if you are eligible by calling our Clearing Hotline on 01332 592013.

If you aren't, please ask about Access courses and how you can take it further, we are always here to help.

Best wishes,

Joe Parker
[email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile
What were you AS grades for maths and physics? If they were the same as your current grade, you're going to have to start from scratch. If not, you're still going to have a lot of retakes.
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
Any idea of preferred courses to do at university?

Something along the lines of business studies i'm thinking, so not a particularly competitive course
Reply 7
Original post by Ade9000
What were you AS grades for maths and physics? If they were the same as your current grade, you're going to have to start from scratch. If not, you're still going to have a lot of retakes.

Sorry, these are my AS grades. I should have made that clearer
Reply 8
Thankyou everybody for your input, i can't tell you have much i appreciate it. I have got some helpful advice. After my i visit the school tomorrow i guess i'll come back here and see whats what.
Original post by University of Derby
I would agree with the previous poster, an access course might be the best option to be able to 'prove' what you are capable of in terms of gaining some further education qualifications.

We offer a range of courses available in Clearing, so it may also be worth seeing if you are eligible by calling our Clearing Hotline on 01332 592013.

If you aren't, please ask about Access courses and how you can take it further, we are always here to help.

Best wishes,

Joe Parker
[email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lolwut: What course at Derby could you do with UUDD?
Original post by d0mm
Sorry, these are my AS grades. I should have made that clearer

Oh I see. Well it's likely that you're going to have to do Maths and Physics from scratch because your grades are cause for concern. You should be okay with the other two subjects, provide you resit a couple exams.

Good luck.
Original post by im so academic
:lolwut: What course at Derby could you do with UUDD?

Thank you for your question.

I have recommended predominantly Access or Foundation courses.

However, depending on the attitude and level of interest of the individual calling, we may accept them with lower grades than what is usually expected during the Clearing period.

This is at the discretion of the academic leading the relevant course or subject area. But it is worth giving a try.

Joe Parker
[email protected]
Reply 12
Original post by University of Derby

Best wishes,

Joe Parker
[email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you possible explain what an access course is? And could i do it in one year and then go on to university at the normal age of 18?

thankyou
Reply 13
You'd be better off retaking the year instead of trying to resit the exams next summer, when you'll effectively be doing AS and A2 in one year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by d0mm
Thankyou everybody for your input, i can't tell you have much i appreciate it. I have got some helpful advice. After my i visit the school tomorrow i guess i'll come back here and see whats what.

I wish you the best!
Reply 15
Original post by Paralove
You'd be better off retaking the year instead of trying to resit the exams next summer, when you'll effectively be doing AS and A2 in one year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i won't be able to stay on at school and resit. My maths teacher said specifically if i fail there is no way on earth she would even consider letting me back on the course. I've had her for 4 years and saying we don't see eye to eye in an understatement. Even when i got an A* at GCSE her response was, 'i have no idea how he got that' 'there is no justice in this world'
Reply 16
Original post by Paralove

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks:smile: It's just deciding what to do which is the problem. I think deep down part of me is happy i am being forced to leave so i can pursue something i will actually enjoy. The other part however is hugely disappointed in myself

What I've learned is that this 'natural intelligence' means almost nothing in school. Everything is so formulaic and mark scheme based that hard work is what pays off. You get out of life what you put in, no one cares about your intelligence if you don't use it. Whatever you go on to do I hope that you learn that. I'm only saying that because 1) You came across as very smug with that statement and 2) I always used to think I was intelligent too, so I know what you mean.
Original post by d0mm
Could you possible explain what an access course is? And could i do it in one year and then go on to university at the normal age of 18?

thankyou

Hi,

More information about access courses can be found here: http://www.derby.ac.uk/access

They are usually one year long. At Derby we guarantee you entry on to a degree if you have completed our access course, provided you took the right modules and passed.

Feel free to phone our clearing help line on 01332 592013 to discuss your options.

Stacey
Reply 19
Don't be too down about this mate. I was in your boat a couple of years ago.

I personally also think I'm rather naturally intelligent, I was always top of my classes in everything. However due to me beign incredibly lazy I scraped through my GCSE's and failed my AS's getting DEUU and subsequently was kicked out of sixth form. However I took this as a learning experience and worked for a year until I decided I wasn't happy and decided to give it another shot.

I went to college and just got my AS results today (AAD) and I feel that I achieved this through the failure in the first time, its amazing how much failure can motivate someone as I felt like this was my last shot at academic success being 19 and I'm incredibly proud of how I did and I'm looking forward to hopefully going to Uni next year to study Business Management.

I do not regret anything in my life, I use it as experience and learn from it. What you need to do is use this recent failure in a good way and see it as a wake up call to improve how you do if you re do your year 12 next year, just think of the feeling you have right now and be determined to not allow yourself to feel like this again and you will put the effort in and succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest