The Student Room Group

Worried about remark!!

Hello all, I hope that your days have been far less disappointing than mine has :frown:, I woke up to realize I have missed my medicine offer by 4ums, in Biology. I have sent back my BIOL5 paper for priority remark and Bristol university is aware of this. After looking at UMS conversion it would appear I only need 1-2 marks increase to make my grade, especially as this paper has an essay attached to it.

I have never remarked a paper before and was wondering whether this is likely? do I stand a good chance of getting my grade up? because I feel a little hopeless at the moment :'(

Thanks for any advice.
Reply 1
Original post by //Billie:P
Hello all, I hope that your days have been far less disappointing than mine has :frown:, I woke up to realize I have missed my medicine offer by 4ums, in Biology. I have sent back my BIOL5 paper for priority remark and Bristol university is aware of this. After looking at UMS conversion it would appear I only need 1-2 marks increase to make my grade, especially as this paper has an essay attached to it.

I have never remarked a paper before and was wondering whether this is likely? do I stand a good chance of getting my grade up? because I feel a little hopeless at the moment :'(

Thanks for any advice.

I wish I could be positive but this is in the hands of the gods

Markers are aware of their impact on your life when they are marking and they will have tried to mark positively

A different marker may just spot something else but don't be too hopeful

If you go up a grade it costs the exam board money so it was in their best interest to get it right first time

Thanks for any advice.

If it's including an essay then that increases the scope for your grade to improve. Generally we suggest not to expect more than 5UMS difference after a remark for any paper.
In agreement with the posts above, plus I have noticed in recent years a tendency for boards to dig their heels in and not change anything, with perhaps an increased likelihood of putting them down. As an English teacher, I see a lot of variation in marks, often with very little rhyme or reason, but it seems as if the boards are toughening up to show who's boss.
Reply 4
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If it's including an essay then that increases the scope for your grade to improve. Generally we suggest not to expect more than 5UMS difference after a remark for any paper.

I know a guy who went up by 12UMS for a history paper...
Original post by bestofyou
I know a guy who went up by 12UMS for a history paper...

Yes, I have seen that kind of thing many times in my career, but I've also seen the reverse happen, and increasingly often in the last few years. It is no longer a risk free strategy as it used to be.
I don't feel to bad. I know someone that went up from a B to A* equiv in Bio Unit 2 remark. Also I know people in other subjects that have gone from a U grade to a C with a remark. Hopefully you get those essential UMS points that you need :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes, I have seen that kind of thing many times in my career, but I've also seen the reverse happen, and increasingly often in the last few years. It is no longer a risk free strategy as it used to be.

yeah, the whole class had done pretty poorly on that one exam, likely a combination of a poor teacher (I hate blaming teachers, but if its the entire class it can't be a good sign) and a harsh examiner. Mine was smack down the middle of the grade boundary and knew that there was a similar chance I could get brought down as well as up, the guy that went up by 12 was sitting on like a U or E for that paper, so I decided he had plenty or room for improvement and didn't bother in the end up. Plus I was already into my course.
Original post by bestofyou
yeah, the whole class had done pretty poorly on that one exam, likely a combination of a poor teacher (I hate blaming teachers, but if its the entire class it can't be a good sign) and a harsh examiner. Mine was smack down the middle of the grade boundary and knew that there was a similar chance I could get brought down as well as up, the guy that went up by 12 was sitting on like a U or E for that paper, so I decided he had plenty or room for improvement and didn't bother in the end up. Plus I was already into my course.

We have had years of strange results for no reason. With a subject like English, there's always scope for subjectivity. It is very much a judgement call as to what to do. A couple of years ago, we had some results that seemed pretty clearly wrong, but as they happened to be in the students' favour for a change, we just smiled!
Reply 9
Thanks everyone, I just hating pinning all my homes on a few raw marks. Its incredibly frustrating to know that it has stopped me getting into medical school :frown:
Thanks everyone, I just hating pinning all my homes on a few raw marks. Its incredibly frustrating to know that it has stopped me getting into medical school :frown:

Yes, I think everybody here will sympathise. Good luck.
Reply 11
Just wondering as well, if anybody knows whether I can remark past papers...Can I only remark the ones I took in June or can I remark my last June ones as well??
Thanks for the advice
Just wondering as well, if anybody knows whether I can remark past papers...Can I only remark the ones I took in June or can I remark my last June ones as well??
Thanks for the advice

No, way too late.
Im having one of my English modules remarked. I got a C overall.. my modules were AAB but one was an E (the one Im having remarked). I was completely shocked by it and so were my teachers. Do you reckon there's a chance that this will go up? I only need 6 ums as well to get a B overall then my firm has told me they'll reconsider me. The exam boards AQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamsuperjai
Im having one of my English modules remarked. I got a C overall.. my modules were AAB but one was an E (the one Im having remarked). I was completely shocked by it and so were my teachers. Do you reckon there's a chance that this will go up? I only need 6 ums as well to get a B overall then my firm has told me they'll reconsider me. The exam boards AQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to be reassuring and I hope you succeed, but papers near the boundary are the ones most closely scrutinised. We also haven't had any remarks come back from AQA successfully for more than a couple of years and they seem to be digging their heels in a bit, but you have nothing to lose with an E. Make sure it's a priority remark or it won't make the August 31st deadline.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'd like to be reassuring and I hope you succeed, but papers near the boundary are the ones most closely scrutinised. We also haven't had any remarks come back from AQA successfully for more than a couple of years and they seem to be digging their heels in a bit, but you have nothing to lose with an E. Make sure it's a priority remark or it won't make the August 31st deadline.

Okay, I understand..I am hoping to get an increase. I really dont think I deserved an E. I think its a priority remark, I paid £44 for it but the exams officer in my school still said that there's a chance the remarked may be back in early september. I told the uni this they said they would still hold my place but definitely no latter than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamsuperjai
Okay, I understand..I am hoping to get an increase. I really dont think I deserved an E. I think its a priority remark, I paid £44 for it but the exams officer in my school still said that there's a chance the remarked may be back in early september. I told the uni this they said they would still hold my place but definitely no latter than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's extremely naughty of the boards to say this about priority remarks, as they know you have a 31st Aug deadline and they shouldn't take your money from you if they can't meet that. You would go for a standard remark if it didn't matter. Good luck with it, anyway.
Reply 17
I'm dyslexic with god awful handwriting,

Didn't get a single A in any A2 unit, yet ended up with straight A's overall.

looking for an A* however.

Good idea getting a few units re-marked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending