The Student Room Group

Roehamptom or Goldsmiths?

Hi guys,

I've applied for clearing and got a space at Roehamptom University for Social Anthropology & Sociology but Goldsmiths took my application into consideration for Anthropology.

I wanted to know which university is better for Social Sciences more specifically Anthropology. (So I'll have an idea which one to pick if they confirm my place at Goldsmiths). >.<

Reply 1
I don't know anything about Roehamptom but I can give you my opinion on Goldsmiths if you like :smile:
Goldsmiths is quite odd in some ways, it's a little campus in the middle of London (great view of the City if you like the financial sector :tongue:) and it's very . . . friendly. If an educational institution can be called friendly!
In terms of league tables, for anthropology Goldsmiths is ranked two places higher than Roehamptom, so I suppose it's technically the better course, but it's worth checking out the course details and optional modules. (Goldsmiths offers quite a unique module that covers the Anthropology of London which is well worth a look).
They've got some brilliant professors at Goldsmiths who are very well known in the world of research, but ultimately, it's about where you'd feel happiest.
(But I'd pick Goldsmiths!) Good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by R.Abid28
Hi guys,

I've applied for clearing and got a space at Roehamptom University for Social Anthropology & Sociology but Goldsmiths took my application into consideration for Anthropology.

I wanted to know which university is better for Social Sciences more specifically Anthropology. (So I'll have an idea which one to pick if they confirm my place at Goldsmiths). >.<

Depends what you mean by 'better'. You need to check out the course content and other things about the two unis because what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another.
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
Depends what you mean by 'better'. You need to check out the course content and other things about the two unis because what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another.

I mean like which one has better results and higher reputation for social science.
Hm that's true. I'll look at the course content again.
Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Flowerii
I don't know anything about Roehamptom but I can give you my opinion on Goldsmiths if you like :smile:
Goldsmiths is quite odd in some ways, it's a little campus in the middle of London (great view of the City if you like the financial sector :tongue:) and it's very . . . friendly. If an educational institution can be called friendly!
In terms of league tables, Goldsmiths is ranked two places higher than Roehamptom, so I suppose it's technically the better course, but it's worth checking out the course details and optional modules. (Goldsmiths offers quite a unique module that covers the Anthropology of London which is well worth a look).
They've got some brilliant professors at Goldsmiths who are very well known in the world of research, but ultimately, it's about where you'd feel happiest.
(But I'd pick Goldsmiths!) Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the opinion!
Cause I didn't really know much about Goldsmiths but it sounds like a good university.
But I'll probably give another look at the course content and then make a decision.

But thanks again. ^__^
Reply 5
I don't do a subject like you're applying for, but I really recommend Goldsmiths.

Nice little campus situated between Greenwich and Peckham, in a place known as New Cross. Sure, it's not the nicest corner of London but it isn't terrible either.

If you like going out and about in London, you can get a National Rail train from New Cross Gate straight to London Bridge which takes about 4 minutes.

Alternatively, you can get the London Overground from New Cross or New Cross Gate, or take the DLR if you take a short walk down to Deptford Bridge.

The university itself is really nice, which incorporates many traditional features of a university, whilst having a few more modern looking buildings. It's also quite compact so you'll never really have to walk too far.

Generally, the teaching is at a high standard, and all the lectures (and the lecturers) having been engaging.

PM if you have any questions!
Reply 6
Original post by jackf1337
I don't do a subject like you're applying for, but I really recommend Goldsmiths.

Nice little campus situated between Greenwich and Peckham, in a place known as New Cross. Sure, it's not the nicest corner of London but it isn't terrible either.

If you like going out and about in London, you can get a National Rail train from New Cross Gate straight to London Bridge which takes about 4 minutes.

Alternatively, you can get the London Overground from New Cross or New Cross Gate, or take the DLR if you take a short walk down to Deptford Bridge.

The university itself is really nice, which incorporates many traditional features of a university, whilst having a few more modern looking buildings. It's also quite compact so you'll never really have to walk too far.

Generally, the teaching is at a high standard, and all the lectures (and the lecturers) having been engaging.

PM if you have any questions!

Oh by the sound of it, it seems great. But I've gotten their reply and they've rejected me so it ends up I'm going to Roehamptom after all.

But thanks for the help, I appreciate it! ^___^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending