The Student Room Group

Warwick or Bristol

Hey all,

I managed to meet my offer for Philosophy and Economics at Bristol, but applied through adjustment to Warwick and they have offered me Management. Both courses seem stimulating and interesting, and I like both unis equally. Which offer should I take? :confused:
Where would you prefer out of Bristol and Coventry as places to live? :holmes:
Original post by 08kau
Hey all,

I managed to meet my offer for Philosophy and Economics at Bristol, but applied through adjustment to Warwick and they have offered me Management. Both courses seem stimulating and interesting, and I like both unis equally. Which offer should I take? :confused:

How did you leave the conversation with Warwick? Adjustment involves the university adding you on Track, not vice versa. Have you definitely not verbally accepted the Warwick offer already? If you have done, you no longer have your Bristol offer.
Reply 3
Original post by Becca-Sarah
How did you leave the conversation with Warwick? Adjustment involves the university adding you on Track, not vice versa. Have you definitely not verbally accepted the Warwick offer already? If you have done, you no longer have your Bristol offer.

They have given me 24 hours to decide. I know that Warwick Business School has an excellent reputation in their field, and I really like the campus. However, Bristol is a great uni too and I guess nightlife would be better as well.
Original post by 08kau
They have given me 24 hours to decide. I know that Warwick Business School has an excellent reputation in their field, and I really like the campus. However, Bristol is a great uni too and I guess nightlife would be better as well.

That's good :smile: It sounds like you've already looked round Warwick, so which did you have a better feel for? Where did you feel more at home? Reputation is difficult to base a decision on, as what you get out of a degree is really about what you put into it.
Reply 5
Original post by Becca-Sarah
That's good :smile: It sounds like you've already looked round Warwick, so which did you have a better feel for? Where did you feel more at home? Reputation is difficult to base a decision on, as what you get out of a degree is really about what you put into it.

Yeah, I think I prefer the campus environment because of everything being in one place so it is convenient to do anything I wish. I'm more confused about the switch between Economics to Management, although have reviewed both degrees and it's relatively similar. It's a weird feeling thinking you're going to one place and then immediately another lol
Original post by 08kau
Yeah, I think I prefer the campus environment because of everything being in one place so it is convenient to do anything I wish. I'm more confused about the switch between Economics to Management, although have reviewed both degrees and it's relatively similar. It's a weird feeling thinking you're going to one place and then immediately another lol

Just because you're eligible for Adjustment doesn't mean you have to use it - you've presumably spent a long time picking out Bristol and Economics as your ideal uni and course, so don't change it on a whim just because you can. Make certain you think Warwick and Management are a better choice for you before you switch.
Original post by rockrunride
Where would you prefer out of Bristol and Coventry as places to live? :holmes:

Im at Warwick. 2nd and 3rd years tend to live in Leamington Spa which is infinitely nicer than Coventry. Of course you do have the choice to live in Cov, but not many people take that up for obvious reasons.

Can't give so much advice for OP unles just to say that Warwick is awesome!
Original post by generaljonny
Im at Warwick. 2nd and 3rd years tend to live in Leamington Spa which is infinitely nicer than Coventry. Of course you do have the choice to live in Cov, but not many people take that up for obvious reasons.

Can't give so much advice for OP unles just to say that Warwick is awesome!

Haha, cool. Thanks for the info.

OP, good luck. Make sure you're happy with Warwick before you decide to go for it!
Reply 9
Original post by 08kau
Hey all,

Hi! If you don't mind my asking, what AS and A Level grades have you achieved?

I personally would love to go to Warwick if I was given the chance. :colondollar:
Reply 10
Warwick is so well known for it's Business related degrees
Original post by 08kau
Hey all,

Both of them are on my list. I think it comes down to which offers more. I feel like Warwick has a lot to offer, but Bristol as a city sounds better. Don't jump into a decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol! Just definitely Bristol.

Really great city, loads going on, I would say a better regarded uni when applying for jobs as well.

No brainer.
Reply 13
I looked around both of those infact, I much preferred Bristol, but go with your gut NOT reputation. I much preferred the course structure and modules for biomed at sussex, so firmed sussex over bristol :P Go with where you think is NICEST. A first from London Met is always better than a second from oxford!
Original post by 08kau
Hey all,

Obviously you need to decide but I think they are quite different places and courses. Do you really not have a preference between a management degree that will be very practical (if a bit boring perhaps (?)) and economics and philosophy which is more theoretical (but perhaps more interesting(?)) and being in a big quite trendy city or a campus without much around?

Personally, I'd choose Bristol.

If you're concerned about employment prospects, Warwick might have an edge (prestige and applied course) but I don't think it's that overwhelming - they're both prestigious universities and economics is very employable.
Reply 15
After consulting with teachers, parents, friends and from my own gut, I have decided to take up the Warwick offer. Thank you for all of your replies!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by 08kau
After consulting with teachers, parents, friends and from my own gut, I have decided to take up the Warwick offer. Thank you for all of your replies!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck and please update us how it goes. I'm applying through UCAS this year for Econs and still don't know which of these 2 to apply to :confused:
I live in Coventry (for all my sins ...) and have a couple of mates who go to Warwick. It's a very creative university, there's always something going on, from film making to business oportunities, competitions placements etc, but it can feel quite small. Coventry does a have an alright night life, just depends what you are into, and Birmingham does to, Warwick uni may not be in a city but does have nice links from leamington, brum and Warwick, but can feel set apart.

If you want to feel part of the city and get around easier and have a better nightlife Bristol is proberly better.
Reply 18
Original post by lynnny8
Good luck and please update us how it goes. I'm applying through UCAS this year for Econs and still don't know which of these 2 to apply to :confused:

Since first term is over, I can offer some advice. In my opinion, Warwick has far exceeded my expectations. The campus is a beautiful place to be, the people I have met (tutors and students) have been fantastic in welcoming us, and I could not imagine myself being anywhere else now. Granted, you do feel like you are living in a secluded bubble sometimes, but as long as you get yourself involved in societies and make some good friends time will fly by :smile:

In terms of course, I know that Econ is meant to be one of the strongest courses at Warwick, and I believe that you can pick modules from WBS in 2nd and 3rd years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending