The Student Room Group

Failed A-levels, Now allowed to continue at school

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Don't even think that the access course will get you through to uni without putting work in. I did a levels and the access course and I can confirm the access course is very intense and hard especially when it comes to marking harder than a levels. So don't think this will be an easy option! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by d0mm
My problem was i did literally NO work for the whole year. I did NO homework AT ALL and slept in every lesson all lesson. I guess i just found it so unbelievably boring and i realise now that i should not have stayed on for a levels as it's simple not for me.

But i do want to go to uni, but i have been kicked out my school.

Dom, you say that you found A levels boring and that they weren't for you, but then you go on to say that you definitely want to attend university; are you sure that is really what you want? Why do you still want to attend university when you haven't enjoyed or felt motivated by studying A levels? Have you perhaps thought about studying different subjects or perhaps embarking on the vocational route? What is it you want to study at university?
Reply 22
Original post by ChuckSchuldiner

What I've learned is that this 'natural intelligence' means almost nothing in school. Everything is so formulaic and mark scheme based that hard work is what pays off. You get out of life what you put in, no one cares about your intelligence if you don't use it. Whatever you go on to do I hope that you learn that. I'm only saying that because 1) You came across as very smug with that statement and 2) I always used to think I was intelligent too, so I know what you mean.

I know hard work is what pays off...trust me. And i tried not to sound arrogant but there is no way to say it without sounding arrogant. Like i said please just take my word for it as that is why i am so disappointed...because of how massively i underachieved. I don't want to make an argument for myself so i'm sorry if i appeared smug
Reply 23
Original post by Coxy124
Don't be too down about this mate. I was in your boat a couple of years ago.

I personally also think I'm rather naturally intelligent, I was always top of my classes in everything. However due to me beign incredibly lazy I scraped through my GCSE's and failed my AS's getting DEUU and subsequently was kicked out of sixth form. However I took this as a learning experience and worked for a year until I decided I wasn't happy and decided to give it another shot.

I went to college and just got my AS results today (AAD) and I feel that I achieved this through the failure in the first time, its amazing how much failure can motivate someone as I felt like this was my last shot at academic success being 19 and I'm incredibly proud of how I did and I'm looking forward to hopefully going to Uni next year to study Business Management.

I do not regret anything in my life, I use it as experience and learn from it. What you need to do is use this recent failure in a good way and see it as a wake up call to improve how you do if you re do your year 12 next year, just think of the feeling you have right now and be determined to not allow yourself to feel like this again and you will put the effort in and succeed.

Thanks for your reply, i think i will most likely do what you did, only perhaps straight away rather than after a year.

Oh and congrats on your results! Nice to know that people can turn it around
Reply 24
Original post by anizz91
Don't even think that the access course will get you through to uni without putting work in. I did a levels and the access course and I can confirm the access course is very intense and hard especially when it comes to marking harder than a levels. So don't think this will be an easy option! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks:smile: But i really am going to work harder with whatever i do. I think i have accepted the fact that i am never going to be the guy who can just sit and study all the time. But failing has motivated me and whatever i do, i am going to actually do, and not just turn up to like i have this year
Original post by d0mm
Please do not slate me. It was 150% my fault. Without wanting to sound arrogant, i am very clever, and i terms of natural intelligence I would definitely be up there in the top of the school. you're probably thinking i'm not-but trust me i am. Please don't slate me like i have seen on other threads, i'm feeling really low right now and you'll just have to take my word for it. My problem was i did literally NO work for the whole year. I did NO homework AT ALL and slept in every lesson all lesson. I guess i just found it so unbelievably boring and i realise now that i should not have stayed on for a levels as it's simple not for me.

------------------------------------------------------

I know hard work is what pays off...trust me. And i tried not to sound arrogant but there is no way to say it without sounding arrogant. Like i said please just take my word for it as that is why i am so disappointed...because of how massively i underachieved. I don't want to make an argument for myself so i'm sorry if i appeared smug

The other advice on this thread is good, so I won't add to it, but I just wanted to say that if you believe you are intelligent you probably are. You're not smug or arrogant, and do NOT let anyone tell you any different. You have your entire life ahead of you to prove them wrong, so long as you never lose your self belief.

(And, of course, work very hard. :tongue:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Dom, you say that you found A levels boring and that they weren't for you, but then you go on to say that you definitely want to attend university; are you sure that is really what you want? Why do you still want to attend university when you haven't enjoyed or felt motivated by studying A levels? Have you perhaps thought about studying different subjects or perhaps embarking on the vocational route? What is it you want to study at university?

You're right, and yes i have thought about this numerous times. I guess i feel like i need to go because it's what i have always been brought up to believe was the only way to go about things. That's why i chose maths and physics at a level, because that's how my dad wired my brain. But throughout the year i realised that i'm nothing like him.

But for some reason i feel like i will miss out on a part of life if i don't attend uni. I guess going to a boys school, and a strict posh one at that (not a private school, but a very good state school) has made me feel like i've missed out on everything a mixed school would be. Everyone says school is the best time of your life, but yet i really didn't like it. I just spent it with a large group of boys all with a hatred towards the strict unfair rules; depressed and desperate for attention from any girls they could find. Then there is the whole no jobs available...

So in answer to your question. No i'm not at all sure if uni would really be for me, but because i feel like i need to go to complete my life i can't really make a rational decision.

I would like to study something such as business studies
Reply 27
Hey domm, I am in the exact same situation as you, clever, potential for top of the school but I did no work throughout as levels, I think its mainly because I coasted throughout my entire school life, but as levels were different, my results are as follows:
Psychology: U
Sociology: E
Geography: E
Biology: E
General Studies: C

I am going to ask my head of year whether he could make an exception due to needing 4 D's to get into A2, I am just wondering should I not get in, what are my options? I was really looking foward to university to do biology and it was only on 1 out of the 3 exams that I messed up on, I have looked into Bsc in biogical science with a foundation year but I am a bit confused by them so im not really sure what I can do now...
I do want to go to uni because I believe I would be better simply doing one subject that I enjoy as compared to four that I don't
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Octohedral
The other advice on this thread is good, so I won't add to it, but I just wanted to say that I believe you may well be as intelligent as you say you are. I have been in a position of underachievement before (though not in the same way), and people judge you instantly on your grades.

If you believe you are intelligent you probably are. You're not smug or arrogant, and do NOT let anyone tell you any different. You have your entire life ahead of you to prove them wrong, so long as you never lose your self belief.

Thanks for understanding:smile: I'm not claiming to be an Einstein, but I know I am clever and i am constantly told this by my friends as they grow frustrated with how they do 10 times ( and the rest) more work than me but come out with the same grades. I expected to get slated lots on here for suggesting i was clever, and i'm very grateful most people just offered me their helpful advice

Self belief is something i have always lacked which is another reason why i was so disappointed to be kicked out of school as i have to go into a environment where i will know nobody which is actually a bit of a nightmare for me.
Reply 29
Original post by ImJordan
Hey domm, I am in the exact same situation as you, clever, potential for top of the school but I did no work throughout as levels, I think its mainly because I coasted throughout my entire school life, but as levels were different, my results are as follows:
Psychology: U
Sociology: E
Geography: E
Biology: E
General Studies: C

I am going to ask my head of year whether he could make an exception due to needing 4 D's to get into A2, I am just wondering should I not get in, what are my options? I was really looking foward to university to do biology and it was only on 1 out of the 3 exams that I messed up on, I have looked into Bsc in biogical science with a foundation year but I am a bit confused by them so im not really sure what I can do now...
I do want to go to uni because I believe I would be better simply doing one subject that I enjoy as compared to four that I don't

yeah, looks like we're in the same boat. I just have no idea what to do. Part of me wants to ask if they'll make an exception, but the other thinks there is no point in staying on and that the teacher will just laugh at me. Like i said previously my maths teacher was dreaming for the day that she got rid of me. And i'm being deadly serious.
Original post by d0mm
You're right, and yes i have thought about this numerous times. I guess i feel like i need to go because it's what i have always been brought up to believe was the only way to go about things. That's why i chose maths and physics at a level, because that's how my dad wired my brain. But throughout the year i realised that i'm nothing like him.

But for some reason i feel like i will miss out on a part of life if i don't attend uni. I guess going to a boys school, and a strict posh one at that (not a private school, but a very good state school) has made me feel like i've missed out on everything a mixed school would be. Everyone says school is the best time of your life, but yet i really didn't like it. I just spent it with a large group of boys all with a hatred towards the strict unfair rules; depressed and desperate for attention from any girls they could find. Then there is the whole no jobs available...

So in answer to your question. No i'm not at all sure if uni would really be for me, but because i feel like i need to go to complete my life i can't really make a rational decision.

I would like to study something such as business studies

Your experience sounds typical of many a student I have met. They aren't even sure they want to attend university; it is just something that is expected of them because during most of their education they have been pushed towards this goal. Having a university degree is not mandatory; you should only attend if you want to spend three or four years of your life studying a certain subject or field for which you have a very keen interest. If you are not sure, perhaps a gap year might be a possibility for you to step back from it, look at things in a rational way and make an informed decision. Do not rush into spending another 2 years studying A levels and then university if you are not sure it is what you want to do. Besides the fact that it is three of four years of your life; the increased tuition fees now mean that a student is leaving with much higher levels of debt than in previous years. Think carefully!
Reply 31
Your experience sounds typical of many a student I have met. They aren't even sure they want to attend university; it is just something that is expected of them because during most of their education they have been pushed towards this goal. Having a university degree is not mandatory; you should only attend if you want to spend three or four years of your life studying a certain subject or field for which you have a very keen interest. If you are not sure, perhaps a gap year might be a possibility for you to step back from it, look at things in a rational way and make an informed decision. Do not rush into spending another 2 years studying A levels and then university if you are not sure it is what you want to do. Besides the fact that it is three of four years of your life; the increased tuition fees now mean that a student is leaving with much higher levels of debt than in previous years. Think carefully!

Thinking about it now, i am seriously doubting i will go. Like you said 3 or 4 years is a long time, 3 of 4 years ago i hadn't even started my GCSE's, which seems like forever ago. I'm not sure being in education for another 3 of 4 years is something i want to do, but how important is a degree? The debt is definitely a huge turning point for me. Plus the money i will lose by not working for 3 of 4 years, is making me think financially it can't be the best option
Reply 32
Original post by d0mm
yeah, looks like we're in the same boat. I just have no idea what to do. Part of me wants to ask if they'll make an exception, but the other thinks there is no point in staying on and that the teacher will just laugh at me. Like i said previously my maths teacher was dreaming for the day that she got rid of me. And i'm being deadly serious.
Yeah im seriously looking into these Bachelors degree's with a foundation year, they accept anything from c's at gcse to full blown A levels.
Original post by d0mm
Thinking about it now, i am seriously doubting i will go. Like you said 3 or 4 years is a long time, 3 of 4 years ago i hadn't even started my GCSE's, which seems like forever ago. I'm not sure being in education for another 3 of 4 years is something i want to do, but how important is a degree? The debt is definitely a huge turning point for me. Plus the money i will lose by not working for 3 of 4 years, is making me think financially it can't be the best option

The problem is that most young people think it is either A Levels then University or working at McDonalds. It's not true. Despite the recession, some companies are still willing to take on enthusiastic young people with motivation. At least two of my friends left school after A levels with bad results and are now working within tax and accountancy firms, of which both are having their qualifications fully paid for by their company. Life without a degree is not the end. Perhaps you could return to education in a few years time when you are older? I left school with only two GCSE pass grades and I've spent the last two years turning that into what will (hopefully) be 8, with the intention of studying AS levels in September. It's harder than going straight from school but it is possible, if anything going back now that I am older has made me much more focused and determined.
Reply 34
The problem is that most young people think it is either A Levels then University or working at McDonalds. It's not true. Despite the recession, some companies are still willing to take on enthusiastic young people with motivation. At least two of my friends left school after A levels with bad results and are now working within tax and accountancy firms, of which both are having their qualifications fully paid for by their company. Life without a degree is not the end. Perhaps you could return to education in a few years time when you are older? I left school with only two GCSE pass grades and I've spent the last two years turning that into what will (hopefully) be 8, with the intention of studying AS levels in September. It's harder than going straight from school but it is possible, if anything going back now that I am older has made me much more focused and determined.

I wasn't thinking no degree = mcdonalds. But i was worried it wouldn't allow me to get any sort of decent job. I'm definitely not a confident charismatic person who could sell themselves to an employer. I'm fairly quiet and i know i come across as a bit uninterested in things, just because of the way i naturally am
Reply 35
Okay, the school have said that i can continue going there, but i'm not allowed to sit maths, so i can do two subjects, which is obviously better than none. As i'm only doing two subjects that is half the amount of lessons that i had last year and therefore i think i am capable of doing the full a level (and actually trying) and resitting a couple of my as levels exams. In geography i got a b in 60% of the paper which i sat in January, ended up with a d overall which shows you how bad i did in the 40% exam. I got a D in both parts of econ so i think if i resit them both i could come out with two decent grades at a level. Then maybe i will go to collage and sit a couple of as levels for a year to boost my ucas points a bit, and then (hopefully) I will have enough ucas points to get myself unto a fairly good uni.

The course i looked at was business studies at Nottingham which required 280 ucas points. But you're only allowed to chose from three a levels or two a levels and two as levels. I think i can boost my two D grades to a B which would be 200 ucas points. Then all i need to do is go and get two C grades at AS and i think i should get onto the course. I plan to do some volunteer work, and i teach myself guitar so i will have some other things to put on my application as well

Does this sound like a realistic plan?
You might be able to get on to a foundation year / degree which may only require 2 a levels? You can then top up your foundation degree so you have a BA / BSc.
Reply 37
Original post by Octohedral
The other advice on this thread is good, so I won't add to it, but I just wanted to say that I believe you may well be as intelligent as you say you are. I have been in a position of underachievement before (though not in the same way), and people judge you instantly on your grades.

If you believe you are intelligent you probably are. You're not smug or arrogant, and do NOT let anyone tell you any different. You have your entire life ahead of you to prove them wrong, so long as you never lose your self belief.

you were in a position of underachievement, really?
Is it too late to take part in the EPQ or AQA Bacc? Some unis don't credit them but others do and they can add some ucas points to your application. Additionally, you could teach yourself some AS levels—you said you're a fairly intelligent guy, I don't see why you couldn't—if you wanted to save a year instead of going to college and enter as a private candidate at your school.
Original post by JPL9457
you were in a position of underachievement, really?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest