The Student Room Group

Shall I reapply?

I applied to Portsmouth university last year for a deferred entry and in this September I am due to go there. However after seeing some bad reviews about it, I am not so sure I want to go there anymore.

As I can't go straight into clearing because I didn't apply in the current application year, do you think it would be worth reapplying to UCAS and then going into clearing? I am not sure whether I want to do this, as I have my housing and everything for Portsmouth. It would be a lot of effort, but I think other universities would be more suitable for me.
Reply 1
Original post by lollipo
I applied to Portsmouth university last year for a deferred entry and in this September I am due to go there. However after seeing some bad reviews about it, I am not so sure I want to go there anymore.

As I can't go straight into clearing because I didn't apply in the current application year, do you think it would be worth reapplying to UCAS and then going into clearing? I am not sure whether I want to do this, as I have my housing and everything for Portsmouth. It would be a lot of effort, but I think other universities would be more suitable for me.

You have to work that out by looking at what courses are in Clearing, and then calling them out to sound them out. You can see this on the UCAS website and in the Telegraph today. If you see a few options that seem better than Portsmouth that's when you start a new application with UCAS. But you will have to drop out of Portsmouth before applying to UCAS. And don't do anything like this until you've actually (a) found a course that you definitely prefer, and (b) spoken to the University offering it and ensuring that they will take you.
You'd have to submit a new application, ie PS and everything, to enter Clearing. Would it be worth it for a few 'bad reviews'?

How come you've waited so long before coming to this conclusion?
Reply 3
Original post by Craghyrax
You have to work that out by looking at what courses are in Clearing, and then calling them out to sound them out. You can see this on the UCAS website and in the Telegraph today. If you see a few options that seem better than Portsmouth that's when you start a new application with UCAS. But you will have to drop out of Portsmouth before applying to UCAS. And don't do anything like this until you've actually (a) found a course that you definitely prefer, and (b) spoken to the University offering it and ensuring that they will take you.

Thank you, this has really helped.

Original post by rockrunride
You'd have to submit a new application, ie PS and everything, to enter Clearing. Would it be worth it for a few 'bad reviews'?

True, I'm still not sure if it's worth it.

I've had doubts about it for ages but wasn't sure whether to act on it. (Mainly due to my mum not wanting me to reapply or anything...)
Reply 4
Original post by rockrunride

Actually usually they don't need a personal statement for brand new applications at this time of year :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lollipo
Thank you, this has really helped.

True, I'm still not sure if it's worth it.

I've had doubts about it for ages but wasn't sure whether to act on it. (Mainly due to my mum not wanting me to reapply or anything...)

Well I would recommend making your own decisions and not letting your family or friends push you into things. You're the one who has to go through the degree there :wink:
Reply 6
Well I would recommend making your own decisions and not letting your family or friends push you into things. You're the one who has to go through the degree there :wink:

Haha true! I think I will just go for it. (Good news about not needing a personal statement too.)
Reply 7
Original post by lollipo
Oooh! That's good news then.

I said usually :wink: The key is that you need to contact prospective Unis directly if you want to go ahead with finding a new option.
Reply 8
I said usually :wink: The key is that you need to contact prospective Unis directly if you want to go ahead with finding a new option.

Hey, any chance you know if I need references for reapplying? I think I do, but just making sure. Thanks in advance.
Reply 9
Original post by lollipo
Hey, any chance you know if I need references for reapplying? I think I do, but just making sure. Thanks in advance.

I don't know unfortunately. I think its likely though.
Reply 10
I don't know unfortunately. I think its likely though.

Thank you anyway!
Original post by lollipo
Thank you anyway!

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by lollipo
You may do, but the unis you are interested in will advise. I doubt if you will be able to recycle your reference from last time round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending