The Student Room Group

6PH05 Physics Unit 5: From Creation To Collapse, June 20

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Karma.
Can anyone post the official markscheme?!?!?!

Here you go. The official mark scheme.
Reply 261
Original post by Yoyo94
Here you go. The official mark scheme.

do you have a copy of the paper aswell?
Reply 262
Original post by Zzzyax
do you have a copy of the paper aswell?

Yes I do but the file size is too large to be uploaded onto this forum. I can link you to it though: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/wv4ixtma44isz/Edexcel_June_2013_QP_%26_MS

All you need to do is scroll down and find Physics, then download the QP folder.
Reply 263
I know this is quite late but did you lot find this paper harder than the past papers?

For me, I personally found it more challenging and I couldn't do any of the graph proving questions, lost 4 marks on the multiple choice and made other mistakes which makes me HOPE for 55/80 whereas in past papers, I got over 60-65/80 in all.

Do you think the boundaries will be a bit lower than usual? What do you predict the boundaries to be? Thanks!
Original post by Yoyo94
I know this is quite late but did you lot find this paper harder than the past papers?

For me, I personally found it more challenging and I couldn't do any of the graph proving questions, lost 4 marks on the multiple choice and made other mistakes which makes me HOPE for 55/80 whereas in past papers, I got over 60-65/80 in all.

Do you think the boundaries will be a bit lower than usual? What do you predict the boundaries to be? Thanks!

If I'm brutally honest I think the grade boundaries will be at the top end of what they have been in the past, simply because there were a lot of marks for knowledge rather than understanding. I recall there being a big question on the life cycle of stars, which is the type of thing that you can answer by just swotting up on the textbook.

However, I could be wrong. Some of the past paper boundaries have been surprisingly low for what I thought was an easy paper and some have been surprisingly high for what I thought was a hard paper.

For our sakes I hope it's rock bottom low, I made a fair few mistakes as well...
Reply 265
Original post by Vip3rgt9
If I'm brutally honest I think the grade boundaries will be at the top end of what they have been in the past, simply because there were a lot of marks for knowledge rather than understanding. I recall there being a big question on the life cycle of stars, which is the type of thing that you can answer by just swotting up on the textbook.

However, I could be wrong. Some of the past paper boundaries have been surprisingly low for what I thought was an easy paper and some have been surprisingly high for what I thought was a hard paper.

For our sakes I hope it's rock bottom low, I made a fair few mistakes as well...

OK that seems quite daunting because I need a mid-B to end up with an A overall. Not sure what 52-55 raw marks will be because that is what I can predict myself, unless the examiners are a bit less harsh in marking.

On the whole though, I think that the difficulty of the harder questions (like the graphs) in this paper was greater than those in past papers, even though there may have been easy marks. I don't know :frown:

But did you find this paper harder than past papers or did you find it of similar difficulty?
Original post by Yoyo94
OK that seems quite daunting because I need a mid-B to end up with an A overall. Not sure what 52-55 raw marks will be because that is what I can predict myself, unless the examiners are a bit less harsh in marking.

On the whole though, I think that the difficulty of the harder questions (like the graphs) in this paper was greater than those in past papers, even though there may have been easy marks. I don't know :frown:

But did you find this paper harder than past papers or did you find it of similar difficulty?

I found it a bit easier if I'm honest, but I made lots of little mistakes by not reading the questions properly :rolleyes:

Looking at the mark scheme now though, I think I've got loads wrong...quite worried now. But I did well last year so I've got a big UMS safety net.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 267
Original post by Vip3rgt9
I found it a bit easier if I'm honest, but I made lots of little mistakes by not reading the questions properly :rolleyes:

Ah :frown: Anyway what are you expecting in terms of raw marks if you don't mind telling me?
Reply 268
I think the grade boundary for an A might be around 56-59...right?
Reply 269
Has anyone else been ****ed by coursework i got a C in coursework teacher told i was on an A !?
Reply 270
Original post by Zzzyax
Has anyone else been ****ed by coursework i got a C in coursework teacher told i was on an A !?

yupp I got a D in cwk :-/
Reply 271
Original post by a10
yupp I got a D in cwk :-/

can the coursework be sent for remark?
Reply 272
Original post by Zzzyax
can the coursework be sent for remark?

nah I don't think so, it ruined my physics grade :'(

did you get into your firm? :tongue:
Reply 273
Original post by a10
nah I don't think so, it ruined my physics grade :'(

did you get into your firm? :tongue:

I still got my firm nottingham, but it really annoyed me because overall i was 2 UMS of an A*, i got in unit 4 110 (A*) and in unit 5 120UMS (full ums) but then 38/60 in the coursework how is that even possible when teacher told me i was on high A or A* like 36/40 raw mark!!!!????? no one got an A* in physics at my school. many many people have gotten U's in the coursework and lost there uni place. so what do we do now? i have already emailed my teacher, he wasnt in school today, was urs in did you speak with him/her? what do we all do email ucas and ask for remark or something?? i spoke to my exams officer and she said it may not be possible to singarily remark just the coursework? can someone post if they have spoken to there physics teacher or have any info about it please!!!!! but what really pissed me off it that i got full ums in that final exam but still no A*!!!!!
Original post by Zzzyax
I still got my firm nottingham, but it really annoyed me because overall i was 2 UMS of an A*, i got in unit 4 110 (A*) and in unit 5 120UMS (full ums) but then 38/60 in the coursework how is that even possible when teacher told me i was on high A or A* like 36/40 raw mark!!!!????? no one got an A* in physics at my school. many many people have gotten U's in the coursework and lost there uni place. so what do we do now? i have already emailed my teacher, he wasnt in school today, was urs in did you speak with him/her? what do we all do email ucas and ask for remark or something?? i spoke to my exams officer and she said it may not be possible to singarily remark just the coursework? can someone post if they have spoken to there physics teacher or have any info about it please!!!!! but what really pissed me off it that i got full ums in that final exam but still no A*!!!!!

My coursework got marked down as well, as did everyone else in my class :s-smilie:. I was told I got full marks but ended up getting 48/60. This cost me my A* as well. One person in my class got an A*, but they've been accepted into Oxford to study physics (so they're very good at physics). Even his coursework got marked down from 60/60 to 48/60 as well. I'm really annoyed as it was basically out of my hands whether or not I got an A* :frown:.

My teacher seemed surprised when he saw the coursework marks, but he didn't say anything about getting it remarked, just that he was annoyed at the exam board.
(edited 10 years ago)
A* after remark - YEAH BUDDY!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone know the link for the unit 4 thread please?
or the unit 4 mark scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending