The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Big, huge congratulations to everyone who got what they wanted/needed! :smile: There is no better feeling. :biggrin:

For those who got in with lower grades than their offers, congratulations too but make sure you step up at uni, as if you get a 3rd they won't 'allow you a 2:1 anyway'! :tongue:

For those who missed their places, don't worry! This world always rewards hard-workers, so if you're a hard-worker you will still succeed in life! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1841
Original post by DJMayes
x

Were you always brilliant at maths? As a child could you have been considered a prodigy?
Original post by Robbie242
Too close!!!
Well done mate, I am sure it is well deserved

I know! I'm carrying on with A2, but I enjoy the subjects in this one more (Russia and Nazi Germany), especially as the Russia unit is coursework. I seem to do better if I'm not in exam conditions. Well done to you too! I can't think of anyone more deserving, with all the stress it's brought you!
Original post by Cwestby
Im in exactly the same position :eek:

:eek: That's so weird! Good luck to you, and well done :smile:
Original post by DJMayes
Just got back from getting my A Level results. Today is the best day ever.

Spoiler

****ting henry, mate. Exceptional. Did well but not as well as you, A*A*A* in Maths, FM and Physics plus a in AFM. So happy but you did very very well :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gilgamesh
I know! I'm carrying on with A2, but I enjoy the subjects in this one more (Russia and Nazi Germany), especially as the Russia unit is coursework. I seem to do better if I'm not in exam conditions. Well done to you too! I can't think of anyone more deserving, with all the stress it's brought you!

Ah nice! I don't think I could go through the stress of how random history results are again so I dropped it, taking economics maths and further maths forwards. I actually did Russia this year for the unit 1 exam, it was incredibly interesting, I am actually surprised that unit 2, the unit which I spent far less time on I achieved 90 (sources exam) whilst unit 1 I achieved 80.
Thanks so much, I just love how my resit has gone straight from a C to a high A! :biggrin:
Original post by Tabzqt
Were you always brilliant at maths? As a child could you have been considered a prodigy?

No, not at all. I was decent enough at Maths but certainly not prodigal.

Original post by cant_think_of_name
****ting henry, mate. Exceptional. Did well but not that well, A*A*A* in Maths, FM and Physics plus a in AFM. So happy but you did very very well :tongue:

Three A*s is exceptional, don't sell yourself short. :smile:
Original post by Bethany96
Did you take further maths, maths with statistics or maths with mechanics? and yes of course.Aim yourself for an A* in either general studies or mathematics and an A in biology. :-)

Maths with Statistics. I got all Bs in Core 1, Core 2 and S1. I only did general studies because it is compulsory in AS for me, I'm not doing it next year! Aiming for an A in Maths and Bio and a B in chemistry :biggrin:

Original post by venenecinema
I got ABBU last year, just picked up my A2 results and I have A*AB so I don't see why not. It took a lot of work at A2 though.

Wow, well done on your results! What are you going to study? Yeah, I worked really hard this year but I think i need to come up with a more effective method...

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It's definitely possible, but it'd be difficult to do due to the deficit that's there in some of your subjects! Remember that you can retake some of your AS level modules to try to boost your UMS up. :smile:

What A-levels are you thinking of taking forward?

Hmm yeah I understand. It's just chemistry which is REALLY holding me back and it's super important for biomedical science so I'm going to have to do something pretty amazing to get a B or an A. I'm hoping to drop Physics, leaving Biology, Chemistry and Maths :biggrin:

Original post by Ripper-Roo
Yes but General Studies isn't accepted as a single A-level. Which subject do you want to drop? Do resits and obviously 'study hard', it's definitely possible though.

Yeah I'm not thinking of doing general studies next year, it was compulsory for me this year but I'm not doing it next year. I need to decide which units to resit though, as some have more weighting than others for the overall grade.

Thanks for the replies everyone :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1848
Original post by DJMayes
No, not at all. I was decent enough at Maths but certainly not prodigal.

That's strange, it must be pretty rare for someone to improve so massively.

Sorry for the odd question, I was just curious :tongue:
I just got BCCC at AS, but need BBB for my uni course, do you think I could manage this with these? I'm carrying on the B and 2 Cs next year :smile: and also, how do colleges create your predicted grades in a2? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Sophieeexxx
I just got BCCC at AS, but need BBB for my uni course, do you think I could manage this with these? I'm carrying on the B and 2 Cs next year :smile: and also, how do colleges create your predicted grades in a2? Thanks :smile:

Yep, it definitely seems you can push that up to BBB, although you may want to consider universities with lower entry requirements as safer options. :h:
Original post by Sophieeexxx

You'll be more than fine! You just have to work a bit harder in year 13, at my college our predicted grade was pretty much either our AS grade or 1 higher. It's rare (according to my teachers) to get more than 1 grade higher than your AS grade. Anyway, you'll be fine just work hard!
I'm really struggling to understand what happens with my as results now, I got BCCC this year for AS, of course I'm dropping one so I'll get some points for that, but what happens now? I know I've got into next year but will it mean I need go retake to get an A next year? Or does it just mean I've passed and ill start from scratch at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1853
Hey if you get a paper remarked, does the remark show up on the results slip?
Missed my firm, so off to my insurance choice at University of Hull :smile:
Original post by Tabzqt
That's strange, it must be pretty rare for someone to improve so massively.

Sorry for the odd question, I was just curious :tongue:

I haven't improved massively - I'm not prodigal at Maths by any means. I just like doing it.
Reply 1856
Does anyone know if it is possible to get an A* in further maths without using FP3 as a module in further maths? I didn't think this was possible but in my results slip it wouldn't give me a 90% average without using my other 3 A2s.
Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

Thank you all. :smile:

5 according to an email my teacher received from the Edexcel Emporium; 54 managed it in normal Maths and none in Additional Further as far as I can tell.

Spoiler

I'll be studying Maths at Cambridge. :smile:

If the Economics is dragging it down but your Maths average is still >90 then I'd say it's worth trying. S1 is an outlier but I've met offer holders who have more important modules such as FP1 as their outlier.

I was wondering how tough you found Step? I want to go to Warwick for AS I got AAA in Maths, Further maths and Economics however I need to get a grade 2 in Step is that do-able?
Original post by Ecawthorn
I was on the exam board WJEC though so won't it be different for that? & yeah but even if I resat and got a B part of me still wouldn't be happy unless it was solid cos I really want an A :frown: aw well that's still good so well done!!:smile:x

Oh in that case I think it will be. I just assumed you did AQA Sociology as that is the more common option in colleges. Oh okay, I understand where you are coming from... I hope whether you do choose to resit or not that you get that A xD Thanks, but I was really hoping I'd get that A in Sociology, maybe next year I will, hopefully.
Reply 1859
Original post by DJMayes
I haven't improved massively - I'm not prodigal at Maths by any means. I just like doing it.

Prodigal: Spending money or resources freely and recklessly; wastefully extravagant.

It's good to know you're not that :wink:

Latest