The Student Room Group

*DENTISTRY - AS Results Day 2013*

This thread is for all those wanting to apply for Dentistry in September 2014 who received their AS results today.

If you got the grades you wanted well done!! If you didn’t do quite as well as you would have liked, speak to your teachers when you go back to school. Try and work out where you went wrong/how you could improve. Don’t forget that it’s not the end of the world there is the opportunity to re-sit just try and learn how to improve from the experience!

Feel free to use this thread to congratulate and offer advice to other fellow applicants now that you’ve received your year 12 grades!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Biology: B
Chemistry: C
Geography: C
PE: D
General Studies: E

Do I have a realistic chance of even getting an offer, regardless of whether I manage to pull my grades up to As?
My AS results aren't good enough to do dentistry at uni. I got 3 A's (bio,psychology and philosophy) but i got a high B in chem, im going to retake a module next year. My predicted grades are A* in psychology and A in all the rest. My GCSE grades are also 4 a* and all a's and i have work experience in maxfac, prosthetics lab, dental practice, periodontist, minor injuries unit and i've had a job as a waitress and worked in a charity shop.

Do i stand a chance of getting in? my dream uni is bristol and i know its super hard to get in :frown: i'm considering for applying to cardiff, plymouth and maybe queens/kings but my mum says i should apply to those with lower grade expectations like dundee, but in all honesty i dont think i would be happy to live in scottland for 5 years of my life.
Should i even bother applying for dentistry? and how can i make my application even better and stand out?
Reply 3
I really want to pursue a career in dentistry after a gap year (so I can do more volunteer work etc) but my chemistry As result has been a disaster :mad:
AS results from today...

chem unit 1......64/100 .........64%. C
chem unit 2.......94/140 .......67.14% C
chem 3x............48/60 ........80% A
overall......C

biology A
English literature A
Art and design A

I have good GCSEs but is it possible to resist chemistry to get an A next year and still apply anywhere I want or will I be limited by resit applicants? :confused: I am so annoyed because my other results are so much better than i expected :biggrin:

please help can I still do dentistry????
Reply 4
Original post by Jatz07
what are your gcse results??

Jatz

Distinction Ict
a* art
a* additional science
a* English language
a* textiles

a history
a Re
a maths
a science core
a German
a astronomy

b English literature
Reply 5
Oh yeah and I have an A in the EPQ
Original post by sarathellama
My AS results aren't good enough to do dentistry at uni. I got 3 A's (bio,psychology and philosophy) but i got a high B in chem, im going to retake a module next year. My predicted grades are A* in psychology and A in all the rest. My GCSE grades are also 4 a* and all a's and i have work experience in maxfac, prosthetics lab, dental practice, periodontist, minor injuries unit and i've had a job as a waitress and worked in a charity shop.

Do i stand a chance of getting in? my dream uni is bristol and i know its super hard to get in :frown: i'm considering for applying to cardiff, plymouth and maybe queens/kings but my mum says i should apply to those with lower grade expectations like dundee, but in all honesty i dont think i would be happy to live in scottland for 5 years of my life.
Should i even bother applying for dentistry? and how can i make my application even better and stand out?

It's possible to retake a module in Chemistry so that you'll still be able to get an A. If you're predicted an A in Chemistry a-level, you should still be fine.

If you apply this year and don't get in, don't forget there is always the option of applying with your grades for the following year!
Original post by LRA
I really want to pursue a career in dentistry after a gap year (so I can do more volunteer work etc) but my chemistry As result has been a disaster :mad:
AS results from today...

chem unit 1......64/100 .........64%. C
chem unit 2.......94/140 .......67.14% C
chem 3x............48/60 ........80% A
overall......C

biology A
English literature A
Art and design A

I have good GCSEs but is it possible to resist chemistry to get an A next year and still apply anywhere I want or will I be limited by resit applicants? :confused: I am so annoyed because my other results are so much better than i expected :biggrin:

please help can I still do dentistry????

So you're Chemistry exams didn't go as well as you wanted...but do you know where you went wrong? Was it the way you revised? My advice would be to try and learn from this so that you'll be able to improve next year.

You say that you want to do a gap year, are you planning on applying for deferred entry this year or applying with your grades next year? If you resit Chemistry exams next year and manage to get an A at a-level Chemistry next year you'll be fine applying with your grades.

Just because your exams for one subject didn't go well doesn't mean that you wont be able to study Dentistry :smile:
Original post by _FDarr13
Biology: B
Chemistry: C
Geography: C
PE: D
General Studies: E

Do I have a realistic chance of even getting an offer, regardless of whether I manage to pull my grades up to As?

I think you need to be realistic in order to study Dentistry you need to get As in Biology, Chemistry and one other (although Dundee and Glasgow are only asking for a B in the third a-level currently - so that's always an option). Are you going to be able to do that?

With your current AS grades I would imagine it would be quite difficult to obtain an offer - have you thought about taking a gap year after year 13 and then applying with your grades? That way you'll have more of an idea of what grades you've got and what chances you have!

When it comes to improving your grades - can you see where you went wrong this year? How you'd be able to improve next year?
Reply 9
Original post by orange.bananna
So you're Chemistry exams didn't go as well as you wanted...but do you know where you went wrong? Was it the way you revised? My advice would be to try and learn from this so that you'll be able to improve next year.

You say that you want to do a gap year, are you planning on applying for deferred entry this year or applying with your grades next year? If you resit Chemistry exams next year and manage to get an A at a-level Chemistry next year you'll be fine applying with your grades.

Just because your exams for one subject didn't go well doesn't mean that you wont be able to study Dentistry :smile:

Thank you for the reply! I will apply next year because I need to do things like UkCAT still but I will work super hard for chemistry now because although it was a bit of a shock I know I didn't probably ask for help and things when I needed to :smile:
thanks
Original post by LRA
Thank you for the reply! I will apply next year because I need to do things like UkCAT still but I will work super hard for chemistry now because although it was a bit of a shock I know I didn't probably ask for help and things when I needed to :smile:
thanks

When it comes to Chemistry a-level my advice would be to keep on top of everything as you're going along. Otherwise when you come to revise it could be really difficult if you're struggling to understand things. Best of luck :smile:
So I got my AS results today and was beyond shocked at what I got.. I do Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit/Lang and got CDBC respectively.

I want to do Dentistry at uni, but I'm sure I won't get my predicted As :/ I called up like all the dental schools, and I'm waiting to hear back from like 3, but only 3 universities have definitely said they accept resit applicants.

I have an appointment with my school tomorrow to discuss, but any advice? Does anyone know what unis do accept resit applicants, just to double check?

Thanks in advance for any help! x
Original post by TheMelonLord
So I got my AS results today and was beyond shocked at what I got.. I do Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit/Lang and got CDBC respectively.

I want to do Dentistry at uni, but I'm sure I won't get my predicted As :/ I called up like all the dental schools, and I'm waiting to hear back from like 3, but only 3 universities have definitely said they accept resit applicants.

I have an appointment with my school tomorrow to discuss, but any advice? Does anyone know what unis do accept resit applicants, just to double check?

Thanks in advance for any help! x

When the universities have said they accept resit applications - was that resits taking place over 3 years or 2 (resitting year 12 exams - while in year 13)?

I'm not really sure which universities accept resit applications so I can't help there. Have you thought about applying with your grades this time next year for September 2015? It would mean a lot of hard work next year to improve your grades! Other than that, definitely listen to what your school have to say tomorrow! Try and work out why you didn't get the grades you wanted/thought you would get! So that you can make changes and avoid being disappointed next year :smile:
I was abit disappointed with my grades today too as I really want to do Dentistry at Uni.

Chemistry: A
Biology: B (1 marks off an A)
Economics: B (3 marks off an A)
Mathematics: B (Dropping)

I will most likely remark my Biology and Economics modules but if (God forbid) they do not come back as A's, will I still have a realistic chance of getting offers for Dentistry? At GCSE I got 5 A*s (3 Sciences, Eng Lng and Philosophy), 4 As and a B. I've currently done 2 weeks experience in a dental practice and have more planned for the coming weeks or so but I'm abit disillusioned to whether going through with it if my chances of getting into Dentistry are really slim. :frown:

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Reply 14
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Maths = A
Geography = A
Critical thinking = C (lol)

all were high A's
Original post by Shaadi Baba
I was abit disappointed with my grades today too as I really want to do Dentistry at Uni.

Biology: B (1 marks off an A)
Economics: B (3 marks off an A)
Mathematics: B (Dropping)

I will most likely remark my Biology and Economics modules but if (God forbid) they do not come back as A's, will I still have a realistic chance of getting offers for Dentistry? At GCSE I got 5 A*s (3 Sciences, Eng Lng and Philosophy), 4 As and a B. I've currently done 2 weeks experience in a dental practice and have more planned for the coming weeks or so but I'm abit disillusioned to whether going through with it if my chances of getting into Dentistry are really slim. :frown:

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Even if your remarks don't go up, you were so close to an A in both Biology and Economics that you should be able to pick up those marks during your A2 exams without having to worry about resitting any exams. If you're predicted 3As you still have a chance of getting into Dentistry :smile:

Original post by ASagoo
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Maths = A
Geography = A
Critical thinking = C (lol)

all were high A's

Well done :biggrin:
When the universities have said they accept resit applications - was that resits taking place over 3 years or 2 (resitting year 12 exams - while in year 13)?

I'm not really sure which universities accept resit applications so I can't help there. Have you thought about applying with your grades this time next year for September 2015? It would mean a lot of hard work next year to improve your grades! Other than that, definitely listen to what your school have to say tomorrow! Try and work out why you didn't get the grades you wanted/thought you would get! So that you can make changes and avoid being disappointed next year :smile:

Manchester, Plymouth and Leeds - Sheffield said resit would make my application considerably weaker for them. I'm waiting on hearing back from Glasgow, Kings and Bristol.

Either way, I'd have to resit a year.. Year 12 or take a gap year, I don't know.. :/
Maths: A
Biology: A
Physics: B (very close to an A)

My chances of getting into dentistry??
Original post by TheMelonLord
Manchester, Plymouth and Leeds - Sheffield said resit would make my application considerably weaker for them. I'm waiting on hearing back from Glasgow, Kings and Bristol.

Either way, I'd have to resit a year.. Year 12 or take a gap year, I don't know.. :/

I think a gap year would be preferable over resitting year 12 - as a gap year would mean that you can apply to any university. However you have to decide if you think you can get your grades up to 3As in a year!

Original post by Hardworker?
Maths: A
Biology: A
Physics: B (very close to an A)

My chances of getting into dentistry??

Well done on your AS grades! Keep up the hard work. Ensure you have enough work experience and voluntary work/extra-curricular activities. Sit the UKCAT. Write a good personal statement... and you should be fine :biggrin:

Are you dropping or carrying on with Physics? If you're dropping it, make sure the uni's you apply to are happy with a B at AS :smile:
Even if your remarks don't go up, you were so close to an A in both Biology and Economics that you should be able to pick up those marks during your A2 exams without having to worry about resitting any exams. If you're predicted 3As you still have a chance of getting into Dentistry :smile:

Thanks for the speedy reply. :smile:

Would you recommend certain universities which I could apply to that don't place as much importance on AS grades than others?

Quick Reply

Latest