The Student Room Group

Missed my offer by 2 grades because of being ill on exam

My Warwick maths offer was A*A*A + 2 in STEP, but i achieved A*A*C + 2 in STEP, and the first exam i had, was Economics EC3, which didnt go down well as it caused me to get an E (which brought my AS grade of A to C)

I woke up very ill, vomiting and such, and i went to see the doctor in the morning, got an injection, and went to the exam later when all the side effects kicked in.
Literally couldn't write anymore after 1hour in the exam, with 45mins left to go and i just sat there all drowsy and tired.

I gave a sick note to WJEC, but they did nothing about it.

Is it worth contacting the admissions tutors about this? Or is there no point?
Reply 1
Original post by M2k13
My Warwick maths offer was A*A*A + 2 in STEP, but i achieved A*A*C + 2 in STEP, and the first exam i had, was Economics EC3, which didnt go down well as it caused me to get an E (which brought my AS grade of A to C)

I woke up very ill, vomiting and such, and i went to see the doctor in the morning, got an injection, and went to the exam later when all the side effects kicked in.
Literally couldn't write anymore after 1hour in the exam, with 45mins left to go and i just sat there all drowsy and tired.

Has Warwick turned you down? Did they know about this beforehand? Is it obvious from your profile that this result is out of line with all the others?

If Warwick has turned you down already, you could try ringing them with this information but you will need your referee to confirm your story and they may not listen in any case.

If your Warwick offer is still conditional, then you need to get on to them very quickly and talk to them about this.

Good luck.
Original post by M2k13

There is nothing you can do now. If you submitted a note to the board via your exams officer then it will have been taken into account in the marking. Given that the maximum allowance given is 5% for the death of a close relative in the period immediately prior to the exam, you would get very little for this anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
Has Warwick turned you down? Did they know about this beforehand? Is it obvious from your profile that this result is out of line with all the others?

If Warwick has turned you down already, you could try ringing them with this information but you will need your referee to confirm your story and they may not listen in any case.

If your Warwick offer is still conditional, then you need to get on to them very quickly and talk to them about this.

Good luck.

Yeah they said i was unsuccessful, but I don't think they knew about this, assumed WJEC might've told them, but probably not.

By referee do you mean my teachers or someone else?
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
There is nothing you can do now. If you submitted a note to the board via your exams officer then it will have been taken into account in the marking. Given that the maximum allowance given is 5% for the death of a close relative in the period immediately prior to the exam, you would get very little for this anyway.

5%????? That is awful :-(
Original post by ameliestia
5%????? That is awful :-(

I don't know how they work the formula out (there is a sliding scale, as there is for extra time) but many people believe a mitigating circumstances claim is the magic bullet they need, and it just isn't so.
Reply 6
Original post by M2k13
Yeah they said i was unsuccessful, but I don't think they knew about this, assumed WJEC might've told them, but probably not.

By referee do you mean my teachers or someone else?
I mean whoever did your reference for UCAS. WJEC won't have passed this information to Warwick.

As carnationlilyrose says, sadly I think your chances of reversing this decision are very small, but that needn't stop you from trying.
Reply 7
Though, most universities say that they should be notified of such circumstances BEFORE results.

Unfortunately, if track says it's "unsuccessful", there is not something you can do. Sorry!

Congratulations on your results though either way!
Reply 8
Original post by carnationlilyrose

Wow that's crazy, surely they would realize 5% wont even do much at all.
Original post by M2k13
Wow that's crazy, surely they would realize 5% wont even do much at all.

Well, that is their decision. I think it's quite important that people don't have a false idea about what mitigating circumstances can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending