The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JulietheCat
Well, making friends isn't out of the question - just not at uni? I personally tried my best there too but never made new friends either. Maybe it's just the uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it is just the uni - saw many shared experiences on here. Maybe if I can find someone who is in the same situation?
Reply 21
OP sounds resentful and hard to get along with.
Original post by Steezy
OP sounds resentful and hard to get along with.

OP = Original post? :confused: I'm new at this.

But if you are referring to the anonymous character, no they don't. They've said that they've tried to make friends and have obviously made an actual effort. In what way do they sound resentful or hard to get along with?
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe it is just the uni - saw many shared experiences on here. Maybe if I can find someone who is in the same situation?

You could but I highly doubt it. Everyone is having fun while you're not. You need to have fun.
Reply 24
Original post by JulietheCat
You could but I highly doubt it. Everyone is having fun while you're not. You need to have fun.

Well, I can't skive off commitments, right? Hopefully I will have less of them next year but what if I don't?
Hi, sorry this post won't be helpful at all, but I'm thinking of applying to go to QMUL this year and I'm quite a shy person (I don't usually have trouble making friends, I'm just quiet really) but the idea of moving from Manchester down to London and ending up with no friends is pretty scary!

Do you think it's the uni that's the problem? Sorry if I'm not articulating myself very well, I just don't want to go somewhere that I'll struggle to make friends. :confused:
Reply 26
Original post by auralay
Hi, sorry this post won't be helpful at all, but I'm thinking of applying to go to QMUL this year and I'm quite a shy person (I don't usually have trouble making friends, I'm just quiet really) but the idea of moving from Manchester down to London and ending up with no friends is pretty scary!

Do you think it's the uni that's the problem? Sorry if I'm not articulating myself very well, I just don't want to go somewhere that I'll struggle to make friends. :confused:

I stay at home and commute while everyone has flatmates so obviously, I would be stuck with no friends. Add family commitments to that and I have a recipe for being lonely all the time. I am starting to think it is the uni though as I've seen a lot of shared experiences that people had a lot of trouble making friends at QMUL.

But don't let that dishearten you! I won't let it dishearten me either, when I think about it. ULU societies look far better to me so I could go to a few of them (and it's usually people from other unis so no problem there). I enjoyed the freshers week clubbing event...a lot. It's just I couldn't go again because of commitments. I'm hoping to break the shackles and go to a clubbing event once a week (without alcohol) as I've always been itching to go and stay till the end. Even planned night bus routes (will take long but I prefer a social life to more sleep) home.

And it's my fault for letting one single horrid event to make me resent all my classmates. I shouldn't even do that and give off that vibe.
Original post by auralay

If you stay at home and commute then it's SO difficult to make friends. I've seen that from experience. But if you're living in halls or sharing a flat, you shall be fine!

But that's true of any uni tbh...
(edited 10 years ago)
No new friends - Drake loooooool
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
No new friends - Drake loooooool

Just get the **** out - will you?
I could do volunteering (as I had fun when I was doing at school and met people) but not sports clubs. They all require commitments which I can't make :frown:
I have commitments at home.

Why not try a sports club outside of uni then. They are more locally based so will be more appropriate for you with your responsibilities at home.
Join the TA :biggrin:
Reply 32
You're not living at uni, so why not just stick to your friends outside? Sometimes friendships take a long time to develop, for example people I resented in the first year of secondary school are now my closest friends, give things time. Also what's the horrible event you speak of? Oh and smoking shisha doesn't make you high...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by hothedgehog
Why not try a sports club outside of uni then. They are more locally based so will be more appropriate for you with your responsibilities at home.

There are none in my area :frown:
I started to take swimming classes though.

Original post by AwsomePossum
Join the TA :biggrin:

I could but I love Economics way too much :colondollar:
Reply 34
Original post by ElChapo
You're not living at uni, so why not just stick to your friends outside? Sometimes friendships take a long time to develop, for example people I resented in the first year of secondary school are now my closest friends, give things time. Also what's the horrible event you speak of? Oh and smoking shisha doesn't make you high...

Posted from TSR Mobile

All my past friends have moved away so I can't see them anymore. Everyone just chooses to be with their flatmates and that's it. I made friends in all the schools I went to so I don't see why no-one makes the effort with me at uni?
Original post by Maid Marian
I won't have any friends at uni either. You are not alone :frown:

Your posts actually annoy me.

Too pessimistic, maybe that's your problem with life.
Reply 36
Original post by AccountingBabe

Lol at your username

Posted from TSR Mobile
All my past friends have moved away so I can't see them anymore. Everyone just chooses to be with their flatmates and that's it. I made friends in all the schools I went to so I don't see why no-one makes the effort with me at uni?

I think we should get some insight from another QMUL student. I'm experiencing the same as you and I just don't get it? :s-smilie:
Original post by qr95
Lol at your username

Posted from TSR Mobile

u wot m8?
Original post by AccountingBabe

Add me to your ignore list then :curious:

No, my problem with life is that I'm ugly.

Quick Reply

Latest