The Student Room Group

I wasn't truthful and now I regret it, please help!

Scroll to see replies

Just out of interest, OP, who completed your reference on your application?
Life is so much easier when you have no problem lying.
Reply 62
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Just out of interest, OP, who completed your reference on your application?

Professors from my sixth form. I had already applied 2 years before but decided to go to the states instead. I used the same reference again.
Original post by blueman3
Professors from my sixth form. I had already applied 2 years before but decided to go to the states instead. I used the same reference again.

I see. Well, it looks as if you are less likely to be found out, but that doesn't alter the original purpose of your post, which is what you should do to ease your conscience. And you know that. It's up to you what you do about it.
Original post by Karen72
They will find out of that l can assure you and they'll find out before Xmas.

I disagree - they will almost certainly not find out, if he does nothing obviously suspicious, because they have no reason to look into his past now that he's in. However, if they did the consequences would be severe.

The thing is I probably couldn't do it and with people I make close relationships with at my new uni I will definitely tell them all about it.

If you go through with this, don't tell anyone about it. You never really know someone.

I have to say, my heart says don't tell them, or at least wait until you have done a year and really impressed them (so you are no longer a faceless name), and then put yourself at their mercy with a good, well thought out case. The latter course is very risky, and relies on you getting on well with your tutors, getting great results with no hint of cheating, and accepting that you might be wasting a year.

The things you did don't sound too bad, to be honest - so long as you're telling the truth about the last one (which they won't believe, particularly if you've already lied to them). If you do decide to tell them, definitely approach an admissions tutor, in person if possible, rather than a general admissions person. Unfortunately, I think your chances are slim, but if you can appeal to their human side you may still get in.

It's a really difficult decision, particularly if you really were falsely accused. However, bear in mind that this will be an issue for your entire life if your university don't find out. Best of luck either way.

Edit: Another option would be to reject that university for reasons unstated, and apply to another but telling the truth this time. That way you get out of the 'liar' accusation, but it will mean an extra year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Being a lawyer isn't about the truth - it's about giving the best advice and representation to your client. If you want to find the truth, be a detective.

This.

I wouldnt do it if it was me. If it was me, id certainly be keeping my mouth shut.
Reply 66
Honestly, when you get to the uni, if you prove yourself, evn if they do find out as long as you are a good student they will look upon you more amicably because they have gotten to know you, and will potentially offer you more help than you will get now. Its up to you, but i can live with a bad conscience, no uni place would pain me more.
Reply 67
Original post by Octohedral
I disagree - they will almost certainly not find out, if he does nothing obviously suspicious, because they have no reason to look into his past now that he's in. However, if they did the consequences would be severe.

If you go through with this, don't tell anyone about it. You never really know someone.

I have to say, my heart says don't tell them, or at least wait until you have done a year and really impressed them (so you are no longer a faceless name), and then put yourself at their mercy with a good, well thought out case. The latter course is very risky, and relies on you getting on well with your tutors, getting great results with no hint of cheating, and accepting that you might be wasting a year.

The things you did don't sound too bad, to be honest - so long as you're telling the truth about the last one (which they won't believe, particularly if you've already lied to them). If you do decide to tell them, definitely approach an admissions tutor, in person if possible, rather than a general admissions person. Unfortunately, I think your chances are slim, but if you can appeal to their human side you may still get in.

It's a really difficult decision, particularly if you really were falsely accused. However, bear in mind that this will be an issue for your entire life if your university don't find out. Best of luck either way.

Edit: Another option would be to reject that university for reasons unstated, and apply to another but telling the truth this time. That way you get out of the 'liar' accusation, but it will mean an extra year.

Would it be too late to do that through clearing? I would be a willing to accept a place at a less prestigious uni with my integrity in tact and possibly starting in the second year.
Reply 68
In my honest view on this I do not think they would consider the work you did because of the plagiarism, it means the work you did cannot be fully certified as accurate to your ability because it is solely based on your word alone. Therefore start from scratch, you are very lucky and hope they do not find out, they take plagiarism very seriously here as well as the states.
Would it be too late to do that through clearing? I would be a willing to accept a place at a less prestigious uni with my integrity in tact and possibly starting in the second year.

Probably not too late, but it may not be successful, as they won't get a full application - they'll just hear 'plagiarism'. No harm trying I guess, though there is a (very very small) risk of your current offer university hearing about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
The thing is, if you go through with this, you can never tell anyone about going to college in America. Otherwise, you run the risk of falling out with someone and them telling the university, or just letting it slip in casual conversation with accademic staff. It seems like something easy to get away with at first, but surely the truth is bound to slip out at times, especially if you get drunk? What are you going to say when people ask what you did for the last two years? Because if you tell everyone, they will gossip with others, and at some stage the university will find out. Presumably it will only take one letter from the university to your old college in America to find out the truth.

Then, what are you going to do when your degree is over? Continue to lie to employers, or come clean? If you mention it on your CV, they may ask any referees you put down from the university about it. If an employer figures out you lied to get into university, they will probably be unlikely to hire you.

I'm not saying come clean- that's a decision for you to make, not random people on the internet but I don't think you've thought through how difficult lying will be. Either you lie to everyone- which isn't a healthy way to live your life, or you tell some people, and spend three years worrying about them letting slip.
I think confession is overrated as a way of dealing with a troubled conscience. It makes more sense to me to resolve to behave better in future - and stick to that resolution.

There is a paradox here, of course, in that the thing that is most troubling you is a lie, which you will have to continue with if you decide against coming clean. What are your alternatives though?

If you confess to the admissions tutor at this stage - in the middle of clearing - I should think they will rescind their offer, and you will have to give up the idea of going to university and getting a degree. Consider though, that if you take this path and look for a job, any potential employer is likely to be as unimpressed by a charge of plagiarism as an admissions tutor would be. Unless you plan to spend the rest of your life unemployed as a penance for the errors of your youth, you will have to learn to live with this lie.

The danger here, is if you get found out at a later stage and are thrown out of university again. That would leave you in a much worse position than you are in now because you will have more fruitless years to account for to any potential employer.

If you decide to hide the truth, you will need to be discrete. Take a look at your social networking sites and remove incriminating evidence. If you continue to post here after you start at university, you might want to consider a name change. Are you intending to play basketball for your new college? Could this bring you into contact with people from your past?

There are risks either way. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.
Reply 72
This is catch 22. You tell them and you risk being kicked out, you don't tell them and they find out and you will be kicked out.

I say don't tell them, once you are accepted why would they do background checks on current students?
Original post by Schadenfreude65

If you decide to hide the truth, you will need to be discrete. Take a look at your social networking sites and remove incriminating evidence. If you continue to post here after you start at university, you might want to consider a name change. Are you intending to play basketball for your new college? Could this bring you into contact with people from your past?

Yes, this is true. Are you still in contact with anyone from your old college? How would you explain these friendships to people at your new university?

I know some people will say that no-one will tell your new university, and you won't have to hide it from your friends. I know from personal experience, and experiences of others at university that these things tend to come out.

I do actually know of someone who lied on their application and got found out. It wasn't as serious as what you lied about, so they didn't get kicked out, but they were put on a sort of "final warning" that any other dishonesty would result in them being kicked off their course. Basically, they let the story slip when drunk, and someone who was there later fell out with this person over some group work. They then used the story to try and prove that they were telling the truth, and the other person was dishonest. (I know this is all really vague, but I don't want to give out massively identifying details about this online).

Don't bother to tell anyone, the jurisdictions are different, the academic standards are different and they'd never be able to 'punish' you here in terms of preventing your admission for something done in the US.

You've created your own punishment, you are going to have to start in year one and 'repeat' the two years you didn't mention you'd done. Besides which most top UK unis won't let you go straight into the second year anyway, so your hope to start in year two is pretty much a pipe dream.
Reply 75
Original post by HotCoco.
Definitely need to sleep on this one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it.
Reply 76
Personally, I would come clean.

It's much better to be truthful and honest - and they may well still let you in.
I would suggest that you tell them. You could explain it was over 2 years ago,and you are now much more mature, and realise what an incredibly stupid thing it was to do,and if you could just have a second chance, etc. I`m quite sure the "powers that be" have a heart,and realise people are human,and make mistakes. They might even admire your honesty.
Too late. It's already on the internet.
Reply 79
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Yes, this is true. Are you still in contact with anyone from your old college? How would you explain these friendships to people at your new university?

I know some people will say that no-one will tell your new university, and you won't have to hide it from your friends. I know from personal experience, and experiences of others at university that these things tend to come out.

I do actually know of someone who lied on their application and got found out. It wasn't as serious as what you lied about, so they didn't get kicked out, but they were put on a sort of "final warning" that any other dishonesty would result in them being kicked off their course. Basically, they let the story slip when drunk, and someone who was there later fell out with this person over some group work. They then used the story to try and prove that they were telling the truth, and the other person was dishonest. (I know this is all really vague, but I don't want to give out massively identifying details about this online).

I do have a bunch of friends online that are from my old college and I will definitely be in contact with them. If anyone asks, I think I will tell them that I studied in the states, but I will leave the reasons for leaving very vague. The course I am on has over 90 students. I really don't see it being likely that professors will remember details about what I said in my personal statement. Trust me I am not going to start blurting to anyone that I cheated and lied my way in but it is a bigger thing to lie about what you did for the last two years, since those experiences shaped who I am today. I will say so I decided to come back to the uk, whats the big deal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending