The Student Room Group

Can you get into russel group universities when...

Is it possible to get into Russel group universities if you resit your AS year? Unfortunately, I did not do as well as I hoped or would have and decided that the best course of action would be resitting AS. Would this in anyway hinder my chances of getting into one of the top unis in the country when I am applying? All your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by booklover96
Is it possible to get into Russel group universities if you resit your AS year?

YES.
Reply 2
Is it possible to get into Russell group universities if you resit your AS year? Unfortunately, I did not do as well as I hoped or would have and decided that the best course of action would be resitting AS. Would this in anyway hinder my chances of getting into one of the top unis in the country when I am applying? All your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks:smile:

Yes generally. Some courses may ask for 1 grade increase over the standard offer if you re-sit, but not all. Resitting a whole year certainly isn't a barrier to the Russell Group!
Reply 3
Yes, it's helpful if you have a good reason to explain why though.
Reply 4
Original post by medaway
YES.

Thank you so much. This has greatly appeased me. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Strangey
Yes generally. Some courses may ask for 1 grade increase over the standard offer if you re-sit, but not all. Resitting a whole year certainly isn't a barrier to the Russell Group!

Thank you so much! I'll work harder this year for sure:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Timikji
Yes, it's helpful if you have a good reason to explain why though.

I underestimated the work ethic that is needed for As and completely messed up when it came to managing my time effectively and I sure will learn from it. Will this hinder me in anyway as I didn't have any extenuating circumstances??
Reply 7
RG2 - definitely yes.

RG1 - not the elite, others maybe
Is it possible to get into Russel group universities if you resit your AS year? Unfortunately, I did not do as well as I hoped or would have and decided that the best course of action would be resitting AS. Would this in anyway hinder my chances of getting into one of the top unis in the country when I am applying? All your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes, i know for sure you can be accepted at any russel group uni BUT...
only if you explain to them on your personal statement the reasons for you having to retake the year and they accept it.
However, you obviously cant just say you were lazy/ couldnt be bothered.
If you do, only the unis like portsmouth/ bolton/ london met will accept you.

I failed my AS levels this year, so i will be retaking the year.
I have a whole list of reasons for not doing well this year.
Most of which are personal reasons while the others are to do with my school being terribly bad and the decisions i made which i regret.
Im not sure which unis i will be applying to next year autumn - but i have in mind exeter, southampton, birmigham, manchester, bristol.

I hope that was helpful, all the best!! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Zenomorph
RG2 - definitely yes.

Can you please tell me the ones that wouldn't consider me? Hopefully it works out
Reply 10
Original post by Infinity_4652

Yes, i know for sure you can be accepted at any russel group uni BUT...
only if you explain to them on your personal statement the reasons for you having to retake the year and they accept it.
However, you obviously cant just say you were lazy/ couldnt be bothered.
If you do, only the unis like portsmouth/ bolton/ london met will accept you.

I failed my AS levels this year, so i will be retaking the year.
I have a whole list of reasons for not doing well this year.
Most of which are personal reasons while the others are to do with my school being terribly bad and the decisions i made which i regret.
Im not sure which unis i will be applying to next year autumn, but i have in mind exeter, southampton, birmigham, manchester, bristol.

I hope that was helpful, all the best!! :smile:

I will explain to them why. I hated the college i went too and found the teachers not supportive and didn't understand their teaching style.They didn't have much support and me being too scared to ask for help didn't and it became this viscous cycle. I seriously hated going college, the atmosphere- everything and also it didn't help that I badly hurt my writing hand during exam season which gave me severe stress. I don't know if those are good enough reasons but that's the basic consensus of it.
Reply 11
RG2 - definitely yes.

Hi I'm thinking of resitting the year also , with ACCC AS Econ-Chem-Bio & Eng results as I would like to apply for a top Uni, I understand if I really knuckle down and possibly do a couple of resits next June , I could get ABB at A level hopefully, I messed up January exams 2013 and feel with 7 exams over the june period I gave myself to much to do , not an excuse just explaining lesson learnt. Do you think I should resit year 12 or try to do well at A2, my worry is that with no resits available jan 2014 and what my Application my look like this year if I put ACCC on my application. But if the top Uni frown on resit year 12 then ???? MMmm any help appreciated , hope my thoughts are ok on your thread BTW
I will explain to them why. I hated the college i went too and found the teachers not supportive and didn't understand their teaching style.They didn't have much support and me being too scared to ask for help didn't and it became this viscous cycle. I seriously hated going college, the atmosphere- everything and also it didn't help that I badly hurt my writing hand during exam season which gave me severe stress. I don't know if those are good enough reasons but that's the basic consensus of it.

May i ask which college this is?

Im guessing your college didnt help you at all in the gcse to A level transition?
My sixth form never offered mentoring to those who struggled in the transition.
I was all on my own, so that made things so much harder for me.

I spoke a student at warwick uni and she said unis do consider the education institution where you studied and did your exams.
If the sixth form/college you go to is so really bad, the uni you apply to will give you a contextual offer.
Or if you had to retake the year because of the problems at your sixth form/ college, that is perfectly fine and the uni will still accept you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
RG2 - definitely yes.

Could you possibly give some examples of RG1 and RG2 Uni, or perhaps a link that I may research please.
Is it possible to get into Russel group universities if you resit your AS year? Unfortunately, I did not do as well as I hoped or would have and decided that the best course of action would be resitting AS. Would this in anyway hinder my chances of getting into one of the top unis in the country when I am applying? All your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks:smile:

Yes.

Having a strong personal statement will also benefit massively as some may be curious as to why you've taken another year, but this alone wouldn't put you at a massive disadvantage, Be positive and learn from mistakes etc.
Reply 15
At the end of my AS I hadn't done too well. I ended up resitting my English and French exams, as well as my French Oral exam and then even went on to resit my French Exam again. Now I've got A*AA at A2 and I held offers for Exeter, York, and Queen Mary (3 Russell Groups)
Reply 16
Original post by Infinity_4652
May i ask which college this is?

Im guessing your college didnt help you at all in the gcse to A level transition?
My sixth form never offered mentoring to those who struggled in the transition.
I was all on my own, so that made things so much harder for me.

I spoke a student at warwick uni and she said unis do consider the education institution where you studied and did your exams.
If the sixth form/college you go to is so really bad, the uni you apply to will give you a contextual offer.
Or if you had to retake the year because of the problems at your sixth form/ college, that is perfectly fine and the uni will still accept you.

Hi the college has a 90% pass rate (albeit pass rates are A-E) but the college wasn't for me. They offer virtually no support at all and expect students to be fine on their own and the teachers had a very patronising, belittling style of teaching. (Like asking you what's wrong with you if you don't get a part of the lesson etc)...
And this took a great knock to my confidence.
Reply 17
Original post by Isildur
At the end of my AS I hadn't done too well. I ended up resitting my English and French exams, as well as my French Oral exam and then even went on to resit my French Exam again. Now I've got A*AA at A2 and I held offers for Exeter, York, and Queen Mary (3 Russell Groups)

so you completed A levels in three years by resitting the whole year or did a lot of retakes during A2?
Reply 18
Original post by Isildur

Did you resit year 12 in order to get your grades up or did you resit alongside A2s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Isildur

Did you resit year 12 in order to get your grades up or did you resit alongside A2s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest