The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
Original post by fuzzmuzz
Heyaa, what you going to study. And have u heard back from accommodation

Psychology and yeah, just got an offer from Glen Eyre today. You?
Original post by iambored
Not going to lie I am seriously depressed with my results...

Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
History - B

I also got 10 A*s at GCSE

I have been predicted AAA

Do you think I have a chance at going to Imperial, UCL, Oxford or Cambridge to do medicine? Or have my chances been ruined by my bad AS results??

I would only drop Cambridge and opt for Oxford from that list as they like good GCSE results and yours are up there with the best, but your UMS marks might be a bit lightweight for Cambridge, otherwise who knows with a lot of hard work what you might achieve.
Original post by Ray2013
Thank you very much ! :smile: Yup, got loads of work experience! Thanks for the advice ! So you think the B in Physics will not be important for Oxford ?

Hi.

Did you do 8 AS levels?
Original post by Laura75
Feel like the most unlucky person is the world!
Missed my firm choice by ONE MARK.
its getting remarked and the uni say if it's successful i'm in. (I'm highly doubtful about remarks though)

They offered me a different course so if it's not successful then that's an option.
And i've got my insurance.
But the longer I wait for the remark result, the worse my chances of getting decent/any accommodation for my insurance gets if that's what I decide to go with.

literally in the same situation, i got abb and both the b's were 2 off a's and they offered me a different subject aswell but it's a **** course i dont know, i think i'm just going to retake though and take a gap year. clearing is not an option
Original post by Ray2013
Thank you very much ! :smile: Yup, got loads of work experience! Thanks for the advice ! So you think the B in Physics will not be important for Oxford ?

Shouldn't be an issue considering you have all your other grades.
Reply 1945
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Hi.

Did you do 8 AS levels?

Hey!
Yes, I did, and I want to continue taking them on to A2. Hope it works out!
Original post by Priya777
I need some advise. I really did badly at my AS results today. I got c in further maths, c in biology, D in chemistry, and d in physics.
Ive alwaysss wanted to do medicine, It's acctually my life. I would do anything to get into medicine, but right now, cause of these grades, im really not sure im gonna make it. Im considering retaking everything while continuing biology and chemistry at A2. But I would have to submit my AS results to ucas, which im scared about, as im pretty sure, they wont accept these grades... what do i do? i really need help :frown:

Im exactly the same i got a in french and all bs in bio chem maths and so badly want to do medicine. Do you think we should resit the year or some modules? also do you know which unis have low offers for medicine..or if any do?! aghhhh fml
Reply 1947
Original post by Dyingslikeanart
literally in the same situation, i got abb and both the b's were 2 off a's and they offered me a different subject aswell but it's a **** course i dont know, i think i'm just going to retake though and take a gap year. clearing is not an option

where is yours for? mines for Leeds.

I really don't know what i'm going to do
would have been simpler if they'd have just rejected me or if i'd missed my offer by alot!

literally can't believe that one mark is going to determine so much
Reply 1948
Original post by fuzzmuzz
Woo got ABB. off to southampton to study biomed!! Any soton firmers??

Well done! I'm confirmed for archaeology at Soton, I can't wait :smile:
Reply 1949
Original post by Ecosse_14
Shouldn't be an issue considering you have all your other grades.

That's a relief! Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 1950
I ended up with a U in unit 3 and a D in unit 4 for general studies. And I was genuinely trying to answer the questions, anyone else done this bad in general studies? Maybe the examiner didn't like what I wrote. Couldn't care less about it now though, seeing as I was already doing 4 other A levels.

Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
History - B

Do you think I have a chance at going to Imperial, UCL, Oxford or Cambridge to do medicine? Or have my chances been ruined by my bad AS results??

Don't worry - I was in almost exactly the same situation as you (I got AABB, but the A was by 1 UMS!). Got an offer from Oxford, and will now be going there in October! I also got 10 A* at GCSE.
Original post by adi19956
Well done! You must be quite relieved. This is no dream though because I am conscious too

Where u going??? ConGRATSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Reply 1953
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Don't worry - I was in almost exactly the same situation as you (I got AABB, but the A was by 1 UMS!). Got an offer from Oxford, and will now be going there in October! I also got 10 A* at GCSE.

Hey !
congratulations on getting an offer from oxford! What will you be studying ?
I wanted to ask you if you put into your personal statement that you got the B by only missing 1 UMS ? Because I'm in the same situation now and I'm not quite sure if I should mention it ...

Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
History - B

Personally I think UCL will be the only one you can have a good fair shot at. With ABBB, you would be extremely lucky if Oxbridge gives you an interview. But out of the two you would probably have a better shot with Oxford but still its slim. (sorry harsh truth)

Imperial is also tough but you should give it a go! Apply for them and jsut make sure you have a safe insurance.

If I were you, I would also consider retaking. Not so much the history as its not important to medicine but definitely the other ones!
Good luck!
Original post by Laura75
where is yours for? mines for Leeds.

I really don't know what i'm going to do
would have been simpler if they'd have just rejected me or if i'd missed my offer by alot!

literally can't believe that one mark is going to determine so much

mine's Birmingham to study mathematics, what about you? what did you get overall?
Original post by Ecosse_14
Universities may not speak to you if you don't have a clearing number I'm afraid. You can try though, but it may be pointless.

Why don't you take up the offer for the foundation year? :smile:

I'll be turning 20 next year. Don't want to feel like the oldest :frown:
Reply 1957
Original post by Dyingslikeanart
mine's Birmingham to study mathematics, what about you? what did you get overall?

mine was to study History and Music JH
I got ABC and needed ABB
the C was in the subject of less importance -_-
Original post by Ray2013
Hey !
congratulations on getting an offer from oxford! What will you be studying ?
I wanted to ask you if you put into your personal statement that you got the B by only missing 1 UMS ? Because I'm in the same situation now and I'm not quite sure if I should mention it ...

Philosophy and Theology :smile: And I got an A by one UMS! If you missed out by 1 UMS though you should definitely get a remark - it should come through in time for applications. And don't mention your results in the Personal Statment - your referee can do that (or mention any really good marks) in his reference.
After waiting all day, worrying and wondering whether I would be going to university or not, my track finally updates!

15 August 2013, 18:41

Congratulations, your place at University of Glasgow for Psychology has been confirmed. The university or college should now send you more information.

I can't wait now, hehe. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest