The Student Room Group

How much does extreme circumstances influence unis?

Basically when I took my June ASs, I was having a lot of ongoing problems at home and I didn't declare them because I thought it wouldn't really effect me. Anyway today I got BBBC (and a C in General but ...), in biology I was 1 UMS off an A and history 7 UMS and I'm contesting my chemistry result. As I want to apply to medicine, I know that in an ideal world I should have AAAA but there you go. My dad's going to go in to school in order to talk to my head of year and explain what's been going on but I'm just a little concerned that unis might not look at the fact that I've had a really rough few months and just go "BBBC isn't good enough", especially when most med school applicants have close to all As. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience applying to med schools with poor ASs but exceptional circumstances and how much leniency they usually give.

And this genuinely isn't a case of I'm inept as I got AAB (B being only 2 off an A) in January, but that was before anything kicked off.

I know, another one of those pesky AS students, get the eggs out. :egg:
Reply 1
Original post by SNR
Basically when I took my June ASs, I was having a lot of ongoing problems at home and I didn't declare them because I thought it wouldn't really effect me. Anyway today I got BBBC (and a C in General but ...), in biology I was 1 UMS off an A and history 7 UMS and I'm contesting my chemistry result. As I want to apply to medicine, I know that in an ideal world I should have AAAA but there you go. My dad's going to go in to school in order to talk to my head of year and explain what's been going on but I'm just a little concerned that unis might not look at the fact that I've had a really rough few months and just go "BBBC isn't good enough", especially when most med school applicants have close to all As. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience applying to med schools with poor ASs but exceptional circumstances and how much leniency they usually give.

And this genuinely isn't a case of I'm inept as I got AAB (B being only 2 off an A) in January, but that was before anything kicked off.

I know, another one of those pesky AS students, get the eggs out. :egg:

Since it's AS, then there's nothing that can't be undone. However, I don't think you'll get much sympathy from exam boards and universities directly - problems at home (however genuine) that are mentioned on exam results day fall on deaf ears and are often seen as being a last-grasp attempt to get extra marks. Your tutor (or whoever writes your reference) will have to mention your problems in your reference to explain the lower marks. That being said, your marks aren't that bad at all, so don't worry! Hopefully your predicted marks will be very high as well, so there won't be a problem. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Strangey
Since it's AS, then there's nothing that can't be undone. However, I don't think you'll get much sympathy from exam boards and universities directly - problems at home (however genuine) that are mentioned on exam results day fall on deaf ears and are often seen as being a last-grasp attempt to get extra marks. Your tutor (or whoever writes your reference) will have to mention your problems in your reference to explain the lower marks. That being said, your marks aren't that bad at all, so don't worry! Hopefully your predicted marks will be very high as well, so there won't be a problem. Good luck!

I thought as much and said that to my dad. C'est la vie.

Thanks, I'm predicted A*A*AA, but I'm going to ask for one of my *s to be knocked down to an A. It's just I can imagine unis throwing me immediately on the reject pile as a result of them.
Hey, my parents recent to my exams and I was also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder- ended up with BBDD. Think I have any chance of getting into the top universities if I resit etc?
Original post by abbiemac
Hey, my parents recent to my exams and I was also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder- ended up with BBDD. Think I have any chance of getting into the top universities if I resit etc?

I have an anxiety disorder too and I don't think it's seen as a 'big deal' when it comes to applying. So you'll probably have to do some resits. Sorry
Original post by AlanAlty
I have an anxiety disorder too and I don't think it's seen as a 'big deal' when it comes to applying. So you'll probably have to do some resits. Sorry

Oops, I meant to say my parents split up as well.
Was it hard for you with the exams? How did you revise? :smile:
Original post by abbiemac
Oops, I meant to say my parents split up as well.
Was it hard for you with the exams? How did you revise? :smile:

They may give you some consideration, maybe like a grade or two, one lower than the requirement, but I doubt any more than that. Umm I only really had a problem in two exams, and tbf those two exams went better than I expected. Where as the others didn't always. I ended up with ABBC, which is alright :smile: Yourself? I liked revision cards and videos on youtube which went through content and past papers, I found them really useful! You?
Meh. I've had bad anxiety and other mental factors that I felt inhibited my work during A2, but I've never mentioned it and I never would have. I wouldn't imagine it will influence the universities, as probably a lot of people make it up so they can't really believe it. Sorry :frown:
Reply 8
Meh, despite these apparent difficulties the admission tutors will rather pick healthier individuals with the same grades

Having said that there are few who turn their academic fortunes around but if you suffer now you may suffer at the university.
Original post by EliteBoUni
Meh, despite these apparent difficulties the admission tutors will rather pick healthier individuals with the same grades

Having said that there are few who turn their academic fortunes around but if you suffer now you may suffer at the university.

^bs

Ask your referee to mention it on your UCAS reference and explain it in your personal statement.
Reply 10
Original post by Sloaney Pony
^bs

Ask your referee to mention it on your UCAS reference and explain it in your personal statement.

Yes that can be done but grades will still take priority I am afraid

Quick Reply

Latest