The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by daffy_brush
I thought you only got an A* grade at A2 level?

Yh that's correct, i meant that no-one i know has achieved more than 2A's whereas in previous years i encountered lots of students with about 3 or 4A's:smile: Im sure there are people this year to, but i know of very few- which is freaking me out for the year ahead:eek:
Original post by megantrace
The same happened at mine. We're a small sixth form, so many people got kicked out today. I'm actually in shock, I'm pretty happy with my results but upset that people are leaving.

I got AAC, I was hoping for AAB but didn't do brilliantly in Economics. Interestingly, I got the exact same UMS in both papers. I was predicted an A/B so it's pretty disappointing, but I'll be resitting both next year anyway as we're made to if we don't get A grades.

Strange enough I got the same UMS in both paper of my economics exam as well lol but I got Ds (59/100 in both) and the thing is I was really confident about unit 1 and was sure about a C in unit 2 as well..gonna get them remarked and hope for a change (at least a C)
Reply 102
I think the grade boundaries were what I expected them to be, but in my school we didn't have Jan exams this year for AS (even though we could have) so really it was everyone's first time sitting AS exams.

But then again I'm not sure if uni's look at that, I was hoping for 2 A's for Psychology and Sociology but got C and B instead although I got an A for the 60%(159) unit of Sociology and a B(58) for the 40% but still got a B over all so I don't know how far off I was but it must have been close.

Same for Politics got a U for the first unit and an A(100) for the second unit, I was quite ill for unit 1 so i was expecting that, so C overall but I don't see how uni's will know this or if they'll care... Despite all this failure I still think grade boundaries weren't the problem for me but just the 8 main exams pack into such a short time
Reply 103
Original post by Poptart-virgin
I got 4A,s it was a big shock though

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha hmm everyone's proving me wrong now, i backtrack on my previous statement:tongue: Then again, tsr users are exceptionally clever! Well done btw, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
For sociology I've been consistently on an A this entire year. I got an A in the January module, but turns out I got a B overall. It was just on the B/C boundary too, which means I must've been on a C for the second paper.
And don't even get me started on English...
Reply 105
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
i was told by my teachers that my english lit coursework was a low A and ended up with a mid C and all year i was getting high As in the exam but ended up with a mid B. i also know many people who ended up with Us and Es in lit too

I think OCR have ****ed up English this year. Last years grade boundaries for coursework were a bit lower so why has it suddenly changed now? I have a feeling a lot of other people have failed English too, everyone was baffled by the exam questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I got ABBD (Law, RS, Business & History). I feel like the HY2 (WJEC) was marked really harshly, I got Bs in all my mocks for it, but ended up with a U in that unit, and I know other people who are in the same/similar positions with this exam. Fair to say I'm gutted.
Original post by rosieh-jones
I got CCCD (maths, biology, geography and chemistry) , I'm so disappointed as I wanted to do Vet Med but I know I don't have a chance now as my grades are so bad. I have been doing work experience for three years and now feel like it has been a massive waste of time, I have thought about doing biomedical science or something similar but most universities are asking for AAB-ABB and I doubt my school will predict me the grades that i need, anybody got any advice or suggestions on any other courses or careers i could look into????

:frown:

Ill advice you to retake y 12 if and only if this is your life passion and youre willing to sacrifice a year then you should. Jan resitsare not allowed so the intensity might be too much. Look at it this way you could carry on and this would affect chance of getting good uni and eventually getting a good job. Or sacrifice a year and carry on get good grade and better prospects of good job.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 108
I was happy and got what i expected with my results- all apart from one U in the chemistry AQA isa!!! terrible.. being like an a/b student usually.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
what did you get? I think it depends on the modules

c1 100
c2 97 (dropped one mark?)
s1 99
fp1 95 (thought dropped 0)
d1 93
s2 97
Reply 110
Half of my year have been kicked out. In my maths class, out of the twelve who took it, 8 got a U!
Reply 111
Original post by Jayqwe
They can either retake the year if there is anymore spaces due to a new batch of year 11s coming or they have to go to another college which would be sad, i have known them since year 8 :/

Awww dw, im sure it'll all work out for u:frown: Will they most likely be retaking?
Reply 112
Original post by Hodan1996
I think the grade boundaries were what I expected them to be, but in my school we didn't have Jan exams this year for AS (even though we could have) so really it was everyone's first time sitting AS exams.

But then again I'm not sure if uni's look at that, I was hoping for 2 A's for Psychology and Sociology but got C and B instead although I got an A for the 60%(159) unit of Sociology and a B(58) for the 40% but still got a B over all so I don't know how far off I was but it must have been close.

Same for Politics got a U for the first unit and an A(100) for the second unit, I was quite ill for unit 1 so i was expecting that, so C overall but I don't see how uni's will know this or if they'll care... Despite all this failure I still think grade boundaries weren't the problem for me but just the 8 main exams pack into such a short time

Same I was hoping at least a B if worse comes to worse in Psychology but ended up with a C. Don't really know where i really went wrong
Original post by Lunch_Box
c1 100
c2 97 (dropped one mark?)
s1 99
fp1 95 (thought dropped 0)
d1 93
s2 97

C2 you dropped 2 marks and FP1 perhaps it was that matrix proof question where you had to do it in a specific way? If you did it the numerical way you lost all marks
To anyone who did the ocr mei D1 exam in june..... I feel your pain
Reply 115
Original post by physics4ever
especially FP1 for OCR their grade boundaries are usually high,im guessing its because theres so many people who are good at maths that took further maths,anyway you needed 64/72 to get an A thats 88%!

I got a UMS mark of 85 for FP1 and got an A, I felt it was a harder paper than usual, so FP1 seems as if it's lower than usual. S1 was an absolute b*tch and I only got a very high C (seeing that Maths is my strongest subject).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by spookz
Same I was hoping at least a B if worse comes to worse in Psychology but ended up with a C. Don't really know where i really went wrong

I know I walked out of the exam hall feeling like I had secured an A but got a C and now I have to keep it and try to move up to a B next year...

Did you do AQA?
Original post by sr234
Yh that's correct, i meant that no-one i know has achieved more than 2A's whereas in previous years i encountered lots of students with about 3 or 4A's:smile: Im sure there are people this year to, but i know of very few- which is freaking me out for the year ahead:eek:

In my school load's of people got 4As :smile:
Reply 118
Original post by Hodan1996
I know I walked out of the exam hall feeling like I had secured an A but got a C and now I have to keep it and try to move up to a B next year...

Did you do AQA?

Yeah AQA. I was confident to. Won't you able to resit any of the modules next year?
Reply 119
In my view they were terrible, and frankly there were a lot of people crying. I understand some people did not study but a lot of people like me did day and night hours a day checking mark schemes consulting teachers and still ending up not achieving the marks that i desired and not having a clue why.

Biology unit 1 june 58 marks for the HARDEST biology paper in years .......

Lets be honest some pretty intelligent people have been let down , and i can see the manifestation right here , i see A level boards continuously change there syllabus , i see the government making reforms like education especially A levels is the only thing that needs a reform , i see january exams be canceled, examiners cut marks for the strangest things , and universities conducting harder interviews and grade boundaries sky rocketing high ? Is anyone but me not seeing that ALL OF THIS IS LINKED ... apart from a conspiracy theory lots of great ways like changing syllabuses and increasing university fees and removal of january exams to keep students out of universities.

A levels in my view coming from someone who works day and night into his studies is nothing more then a filter to see whose clever and whose not .. anyone working hard parallel to someone smarter then them can expect to see the colossal difference in their grades.

A levels always were filters .. and most people deserve better !

Quick Reply

Latest