The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
This is not true, my headteacher changed the timetables for Y10 to make sure we studied French and one of History/Geography, which weren't compulsory before the announcement of the Ebacc - lots of teachers go on about how important it is and say that they have all been given special intervention abilities because of their importance.The English Baccalaureate will probably become as important as the 5A*-C including English and Maths and is seriously being considered to replace the 5A*-C including English and Maths due to grade inflation and you have 100% failed your GCSEs without 5A*-C including English and Maths.

They say it's important because they want you to take interest in their subject. Look at it this way: at my school, all the MFL teachers go on about how important the English Baccalaureate is. The technology teachers, on the other hand, think that it's an utter waste of time. Even some of the History teachers agree. As far as I'm aware, the only university in the Russell Group which requires a language GCSE is UCL but you can still get in without and study the course whilst at uni. If the Baccalaureate was so important, universities would have said at the time of announcement that yes, they do only want students with this standard. They didn't.
Reply 3501
Original post by Arva
There's a proof for that? :lolwut: :lol:

Well.

The pattern nx^n-1

Yeah there kind of is.

You can derive Eqn14.gif

And you can also find out that when y=ax^2+bx+c then dy/dx=2ax+b
Reply 3502
Original post by elixirs
I'm sure it will be, it's rewarding and opens up several careers paths. What career are you looking at?

You guessed it medicine! Well for now until the 22nd. :redface:
Reply 3503
Original post by zed963
Well.

The pattern nx^n-1

Yeah there kind of is.

You can derive Eqn14.gif

I knew what you meant, and thanks for explaining it to me but I know that proof. :tongue:

I was teasing because you forgot to write "proof that d/dx (x^2) = 2x

Laving us with the statement that one can prove that x^2 actually = 2x
I'm so freaking nervous it's unreal, did bad in art oh well, I want to be a chef! Just need the results in catering
Reply 3505
Original post by elixirs
I predict an up in A*/A grades...
and a down in C grades:biggrin:

I hope you're right:bigsmile:
Original post by zed963
Well.

The pattern nx^n-1

Yeah there kind of is.

You can derive Eqn14.gif

That looks complicated. I was taught to multiply the coefficient of x by the power and then subtract the power by 1 and that was it. I've never seen anything like that in my life.
Reply 3507
Original post by Arva
I knew what you meant, and thanks for explaining it to me but I know that proof. :tongue:

I was teasing because you forgot to write "proof that d/dx (x^2) = 2x

Laving us with the statement that one can prove that x^2 actually = 2x

Oh true, but I did mention that I was studying differentiation in the previous posts therefore I didn't think there was a need to mention it again.

But as you correctly spotted there should really be dy/dx.:colondollar:
Im sooo scared and seen articles bout a level results. aargh
Reply 3509
Original post by zed963
You guessed it medicine! Well for now until the 22nd. :redface:

Ahahah, after the 22nd? Then what? Will you opt for hair and beauty:giggle:

Jokes aside, i'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!
Reply 3510
Original post by Red Fox
That looks complicated. I was taught to multiply the coefficient of x by the power and then subtract the power by 1 and that was it. I've never seen anything like that in my life.

Imagine how I felt when I saw this for the first time in my life. I felt like banging my head over a wall. But once I finally understood it, the feeling of satisfaction was worth living for. :smile:
Reply 3511
Original post by elixirs
Ahahah, after the 22nd? Then what? Will you opt for hair and beauty:giggle:

Jokes aside, i'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

I'll still stick to the science areas but may do something different.

I hope just hope I don't get anything lower than an A.
Reply 3512
Original post by sr234
I hope you're right:bigsmile:

Of course:tongue:

Well judging by Ofqual's response they're attempting to curb grade C inflation in subjects like maths and science.
As for A*/A grades, each year they see a gradual increase.
Reply 3513
Original post by zed963
Oh true, but I did mention that I was studying differentiation in the previous posts therefore I didn't think there was a need to mention it again.

But as you correctly spotted there should really be dy/dx.:colondollar:

Well of course you did, because the proof is not that x^2 - 2x :tongue:

But that's all I was doing, teasing on a simple mistake :biggrin:

(I'm very bored right now)
Reply 3514
Original post by zed963
I'll still stick to the science areas but may do something different.

I hope just hope I don't get anything lower than an A.

I see. You should be fine!
Original post by zed963
Imagine how I felt when I saw this for the first time in my life. I felt like banging my head over a wall. But once I finally understood it, the feeling of satisfaction was worth living for. :smile:

Haha, I'm lucky I did OCR Additional Maths because I know pretty much all of C1 and it has topics from C2 M1 M2 S1 and D1 in it aswell (all modules I'm doing).
Original post by Tibbz2
Weirdly I don't care about the subjects that I need to get into 6th form and that I enjoy the most... I know that I can't really fail to get into 6th form in them all now. I'm most worried about German. I'm predicted a B, and I would be content with that, as I'm not the best, but I would really like an A because of the effort I put into it compared to everything else :frown:

Same, I'm predicted all As and A*s except dance, which is a B but I put so much effort in and it was so stressful, I'd really like an A just so I can prove my teacher wrong :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3517
Original post by Arva
Well of course you did, because the proof is not that x^2 - 2x :tongue:

But that's all I was doing, teasing on a simple mistake :biggrin:

(I'm very bored right now, woke up after falling asleep on my sofa after results, feeling a bit disoriented.

Oh well I'm glad you did, it's better you correcting me rather me believing all my life that x^2=2x lol.

Congratulations, I've heard you got into Oxford.

Which course will you be doing?
Original post by Red Fox
Fair enough. Next June I'll be sitting C1 C2 M1 M2 FP1 S1 D1 and maybe S2 if I have the time to learn it but I don't wanna do too many modules. Then 2014 will be C3 C4 FP2 FP3.

Those should be fine.

I feel as if I cant even give maths advice anymore... I'm inadequate:frown:
Original post by elixirs
Agh, a few marks like that can be heartbreaking:frown:
That's probably best and since you were so close, you should be able to secure the A* (not to jinx anything:tongue:)
As for history, you can bring that up in another unit!

However, you still did really well and you only missed out on your expected grades by an inch!

It really is :/

I haven't gor any units to make it up :tongue: I've done both
Original post by Arva
x

^ this awesome guy isn't GCSE you know :rofl: he's in Oxford :teeth:

How were your grades?
Reply 3519
Original post by Red Fox
Haha, I'm lucky I did OCR Additional Maths because I know pretty much all of C1 and it has topics from C2 M1 M2 S1 and D1 in it aswell (all modules I'm doing).

Consider yourself lucky if you have the option to do decision modules. My sixth form doesn't allow it.

Latest