The Student Room Group

Is medicine still possible?

My AS results were:

Economics - A
Chemistry - C (Mid C)
Maths - C (5 UMS off a B)
Physics - D

and for GCSE I've got 3 A*, 6 A's (including all 3 sciences and maths) , 3 B's and 2 C's

I was extremely disappointed when I found out what grades I've got. I was actually shocked that I got a D in physics as I was very confident about it and also, Economics was actually the subject that I was the least confident with.

Anyway, does anyone think it's still possible for me to get into medical school?? because I really want to study medicine and please give me some advice because I don't know which subject to drop and what I should do to increase my chances to get into medicine. I'm really worried that my future is over.
(edited 10 years ago)
In short, yes.

Retake Chemistry and Maths in Jan, and work extra hard for your A2's.

edit: So you guys don't have Jan exams anymore, retake them in June but it won't be easy. You can still do it if you're motivated and determined though. Best of luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's more likely you'll have to take a gap yah.
Original post by Blackshadow
In short, yes.

Retake Chemistry and Maths in Jan, and work extra hard for your A2's. Good luck.

January exams don't exist anymore :frown:
Original post by pompompandapple
January exams don't exist anymore :frown:

Oh? When did that happen?
Reply 5
I think your best bet is to smash your A2 year (seriously smash it) get AAA and reapply on a gap year
Reply 6
Original post by J_W-x
I think your best bet is to smash your A2 year (seriously smash it) get AAA and reapply on a gap year

Original post by The Angry Stoic
It's more likely you'll have to take a gap yah.

So should apply this year too?? and should I drop Economics or maths because if I don't get into medicine then my plan B would be applying for economics and most uni's require A level maths??
Original post by Just Jim
So should apply this year too?? and should I drop Economics or maths because if I don't get into medicine then my plan B would be applying for economics and most uni's require A level maths??

It's certainly worth trying. It will get you used to the application process.
Original post by Blackshadow
Oh? When did that happen?

They announced it at the end of last year, and starts from September 2013.
Reply 9
Original post by The Angry Stoic
It's certainly worth trying. It will get you used to the application process.

I'm eligible for the Access to Leeds scheme. Do you think I should apply for it??
Original post by Just Jim
I'm eligible for the Access to Leeds scheme. Do you think I should apply for it??

Yeh sounds like a good idea.
Reply 11
No not really

Quick Reply

Latest