The Student Room Group

Medicine is no more?

My results today were (AS):

Maths - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - C
(Arbitrary subject) - D

Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed. Not so much the last two results (I could not really care any less about those. Dropping one.) And with only 8 As at GCSE, does anyone think there is a chance of me actually getting into Medicine? I was so close to AAA...
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my brother got BCCD at AS . he's at med school. speak to a teacher and consider
1) re-marks -get the copy of ur papers first, go thru them and see if its worth the cost of a non-priority re-mark
2) resit practicals to get ur score up
3) apply smart! get a great ukcat score and u'll automatically get interviews at newcastle, manchester etc. avoid unis that want A*s for gcse. There is lots of guidance on tsr or contact me and I'll ask my brother ( he got 3 offers, missed his offer by 2% in chemistry, resat and got 4 offers. all because he applied where he had most chance)
Reply 2
Original post by alcimedes
1) re-marks -get the copy of ur papers first, go thru them and see if its worth the cost of a non-priority re-mark
3) apply smart! get a great ukcat score and u'll automatically get interviews at newcastle, manchester etc. avoid unis that want A*s for gcse. There is lots of guidance on tsr or contact me and I'll ask my brother ( he got 3 offers, missed his offer by 2% in chemistry, resat and got 4 offers. all because he applied where he had most chance)

I'm actually in a similar (probably worse) situation as OP.
What subjects did your brother study and what grades did he get in each of the subjects?? and Which uni's gave him an offer?
Reply 3
Yeah, I agree with you. As medicine is really competitive, universities ask high grades and usually are not very fond with retakes.
Reply 4

I just got results and in similar situation
Biology- B
Chemistry- C
Physics- D
Maths- B
I am going to get some units remarked but just wanted to ask what unis did your brother apply to? What score did he get on the UKCAT? What were his subjects and his predicted grades at A level?
Reply 5
Hi Guyz,
i got my AS result today. and i got:
A-PSYCHOLOGY
B-CHEMISTRY
C-BIOLOGY
AM GETTING MY BIOLOGY REMARKED THOUGH COS I CAN QUITE BELIEVE I GOT 'C' IN IT. ARE THIS GRADES OKAY FOR APPLICATION T MEDICINE? AND AM GONNA TRY HARD IN MY UKCAT AND HOPEFULLY GET 3000+ IN IT.
Reply 6
Original post by Just Jim
What subjects did your brother study and what grades did he get in each of the subjects?? and Which uni's gave him an offer?

first time- manchester, newcastle, leeds. his ukcat was 672.5 average.
second time-offers from leeds, newcastle, durham,, HYMS all because he had ukcat of 685 average,
some unis offer interviews by AS scores or gcse grades, others by ukcat. it s still possible to go to uni with lower AS scores if either u can get ur referee to predict AAA still or if u go thru access schemes ( many unis have them for local kids etc)
Reply 7
Original post by Miss11
I just got results and in similar situation
Biology- B
Chemistry- C
Physics- D
Maths- B
I am going to get some units remarked but just wanted to ask what unis did your brother apply to? What score did he get on the UKCAT? What were his subjects and his predicted grades at A level?

revise for the ukcat says my brother-lots of people told him not to but he bought books cheap off ebay and amazon and got books from our central library. it was worth it as the ukcat scores got him most of his interviews.
Reply 8
Original post by mollydee
Hi Guyz,
A-PSYCHOLOGY
B-CHEMISTRY
C-BIOLOGY
AM GETTING MY BIOLOGY REMARKED THOUGH COS I CAN QUITE BELIEVE I GOT 'C' IN IT. ARE THIS GRADES OKAY FOR APPLICATION T MEDICINE? AND AM GONNA TRY HARD IN MY UKCAT AND HOPEFULLY GET 3000+ IN IT.

ask if u can still get AAA predictions.Conor resat his practicals to get his scores up. Most unis are fine with retakes within the 2 years eg retaking AS and A2 modules is ok if u do it all in year 13.
just apply smart.Conor says he is happy to help people as he got lots of help on here. message me or quote me and I'll get him to reply.
Hi Guyz,
A-PSYCHOLOGY
B-CHEMISTRY
C-BIOLOGY

I know what you mean about biology, everyone thought the exam went well, but ended up getting 1 or 2 grades lower than they thought :confused:
Reply 10
second time-offers from leeds, newcastle, durham,, HYMS all because he had ukcat of 685 average,
some unis offer interviews by AS scores or gcse grades, others by ukcat. it s still possible to go to uni with lower AS scores if either u can get ur referee to predict AAA still or if u go thru access schemes ( many unis have them for local kids etc)

What subject did he take because I didn't take Biology so I'm worried that my chances would be reduced? And did he do a lot of volunteering and work experience??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got the same AS grades as you, except the C was in chemistry, so even worse. I am now an F2 doctor, so it is not impossible.
Just have to turn it around in A2
Reply 12
ask if u can still get AAA predictions.Conor resat his practicals to get his scores up. Most unis are fine with retakes within the 2 years eg retaking AS and A2 modules is ok if u do it all in year 13.
just apply smart.Conor says he is happy to help people as he got lots of help on here. message me or quote me and I'll get him to reply.

i got a B in my biology practical but i got a D in the exam,overall C :frown: which am gonna get rremarked cos am quite sure my grade in the exam is meant to be an A/B. AM GOnna get the chemistry remarked too cos i got A in the practical and a C for the exam overall a B.i was expecting A for the exam cos it ws really really good for me. the remarks are so expensive though. whew
Reply 13
Original post by AlanAlty
I know what you mean about biology, everyone thought the exam went well, but ended up getting 1 or 2 grades lower than they thought :confused:

get a remark if you are really sure that you did better than the grade you were given. i wish the remarks were free though :frown: .am getting a remark for mine :smile:.
get a remark if you are really sure that you did better than the grade you were given. i wish the remarks were free though :frown: .am getting a remark for mine :smile:.

I would, but they cost like £60, where as a retake is £24. If it was my parents paying, I would get a remark, but I'm not spending a whole shifts pay haha
Original post by Carpediemxx
I got the same AS grades as you, except the C was in chemistry, so even worse. I am now an F2 doctor, so it is not impossible.
Just have to turn it around in A2

If I may so kindly ask: how did you get out of that situation? Did you retake? Do another degree? :O (This is the OPs other account)
Reply 16
Original post by Just Jim

Which grade was it that he got in chemistry? Thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by AlanAlty
I would, but they cost like £60, where as a retake is £24. If it was my parents paying, I would get a remark, but I'm not spending a whole shifts pay haha

OCR remark is £38.10,i will rather pay that so that i can apply with at least a better grade than the ABC i got than wait till june next year and retake the biology exam. uhhh bwoy,its gonna be tough cos you will have to re read that extra long and boring biology and then you will still have your A2 exams to do all in that same month. save any money you get,the deadline for submitting the money for remarks is still september 19th. Am sure you will get the money before then.:colondollar: GOODLUCKKKKK. :smile:
Reply 18

Hi there,

You see the second time he applied, was he on a gap year?
Original post by 'Tetragrammaton'
If I may so kindly ask: how did you get out of that situation? Did you retake? Do another degree? :O (This is the OPs other account)

I worked hard in A2 and got AAA in the end
References were key, in my situation

Quick Reply

Latest