The Student Room Group

Parents punishing me for bad AS results

For a short background i coasted this year and completely accept the fact, of course having coasted i received CCEU in my exams (maths, physics, product design and philosophy and ethics), Obviously this is a shock to the system and i now feel like i have a drive to go back and resit and on that side of things i think it's fine, However my parents are choosing to punish me for my bad results and i'm unsure what to do. I have planned and purchased a holiday with friends later this month (7 days in france) and they are currently threatening to stop me going on said trip and more (grounding ect). Just want some advice on what i can say to them to make them realize that punishing me and trying to make me miserable isn't the most productive thing add to the fact i'm beating myself up about it.
any advice?
I'd resit the year
Reply 2
How can you get a U in philosophy LOL. You just turn up and get an A. Regardless, they should make your life miserable since you have done nothing to deserve the holiday.
Reply 3
If you really did just ''coast'' then it is your own fault... knowingly not doing enough is not acceptable, and you have to pay the price for it
Original post by IAmABaws
How can you get a U in philosophy LOL. You just turn up and get an A. Regardless, they should make your life miserable since you have done nothing to deserve the holiday.

How sensitive of you.
Reply 5
Original post by jumblehunter
How sensitive of you.

He "coasted" for the whole year, should he have expected any As?
Reply 6
Hmmm. Your parents have the right to punish you (even when it's unfair) up to a point. But they don't have the right to stop you going on a holiday you've paid for yourself. Unfortunately if you make a big deal of it you risk it becoming a huge authority struggle that has nothing to do with the original issue.

Your best strategy would probably be to agree with them that you've screwed up, accept the grounding etc, spend some time putting together a study plan to show them so that next year so you do better...but after that quietly and firmly inform them that yes, you are still going to France.

Quick Reply

Latest