The Student Room Group

Good Average Salary?

I'm about to begin my A levels in September, and I was planning to hopefully go on to university at the end of them and earn a degree in Medical Science. After much research on differing jobs in this field of jobs, eg. Biomedical Scientist, Virologist, Immunologist, It shows the U.K average of the majority of these jobs is around 25K to 32K, and ashamedly, I will admit my ignorance on the fact that I really don't know whether this is a good salary or not. This is something i'm worried about because of this economic crisis, I feel that I need to push myself to earn as much money to live a financially stable life for when I'm older. So please, could someone inform me if a salary of 25 to 32 thousand a year is a decent amount?
Good salary is a relative term really. Depends what kind of lifestyle you have in mind and also where in uk you want to live as living costs differ massively in different regions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'll guess that most of the jobs that you've looked at, around that salary, will require a degree in a related field and more importantly 5-15 years of experience elsewhere.

So approaching 30k at the age of 30 and you'd actually be doing quite well for yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by professortobe
Good salary is a relative term really. Depends what kind of lifestyle you have in mind and also where in uk you want to live as living costs differ massively in different regions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The major difference in my lifestyle choice to most people is that I definitely don't want children, and also, I would probably be living in the North Wales area
Original post by TheAcrylicCat
The major difference in my lifestyle choice to most people is that I definitely don't want children, and also, I would probably be living in the North Wales area

Well not having kids makes a big difference although you may change your mind about that ten years down the line. I don't really know Wales very well but I'm guessing living expenses would be more similar to Northern England than to Southern England in which case if you have no kids and only yourself to support (assuming any partner you had would earn their own keep) then £30k is a decent wage and you could definitely live quite comfortably on that but it would by no means make you wealthy. I lived as a single person on £17k in Manchester pretty easily but basic sort of life with no holidays so that's what I'm basing this on. Hope this helps also have a look at the tax brackets on hmrc website to get an idea of what wage is considered top earners etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by professortobe
Well not having kids makes a big difference although you may change your mind about that ten years down the line. I don't really know Wales very well but I'm guessing living expenses would be more similar to Northern England than to Southern England in which case if you have no kids and only yourself to support (assuming any partner you had would earn their own keep) then £30k is a decent wage and you could definitely live quite comfortably on that but it would by no means make you wealthy. I lived as a single person on £17k in Manchester pretty easily but basic sort of life with no holidays so that's what I'm basing this on. Hope this helps also have a look at the tax brackets on hmrc website to get an idea of what wage is considered top earners etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks a lot, really cleared a few things up for me, it's much appreciated :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mockery
I'll guess that most of the jobs that you've looked at, around that salary, will require a degree in a related field and more importantly 5-15 years of experience elsewhere.

So approaching 30k at the age of 30 and you'd actually be doing quite well for yourself.

Dude, 10 years of experience would make you earn at least £50k in pretty much any professional field, it's a huge amount of time and almost makes you a senior professional.

Even some graduate schemes in the city start at £40k, that's straight out of uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CEKTOP
Dude, 10 years of experience would make you earn at least £50k in pretty much any professional field, it's a huge amount of time and almost makes you a senior professional.

Even some graduate schemes in the city start at £40k, that's straight out of uni.

Man, your perception of reality is like way out of whack dude, I think you should go and see a professional to get that disillusion treated, your brain is like the scrambled eggs on my toast this morning.
Reply 8
Original post by Mockery
Man, your perception of reality is like way out of whack dude, I think you should go and see a professional to get that disillusion treated, your brain is like the scrambled eggs on my toast this morning.

Cmon dude, I've met more than enough professionals who actually have 10+ years of experience in my life. At 30 they've all long passed the £30k milestone.

Ok, I'm talking about London, but still, even plumbers with 10+ years of experience make way over 30k. Hell, a tube driver would make £45k at 30.

If you approach £30k with 10 years of experience you either live in a place where the cost of living is pretty low or something is wrong with your chosen career path.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheAcrylicCat
I'm about to begin my A levels in September, and I was planning to hopefully go on to university at the end of them and earn a degree in Medical Science. After much research on differing jobs in this field of jobs, eg. Biomedical Scientist, Virologist, Immunologist, It shows the U.K average of the majority of these jobs is around 25K to 32K, and ashamedly, I will admit my ignorance on the fact that I really don't know whether this is a good salary or not. This is something i'm worried about because of this economic crisis, I feel that I need to push myself to earn as much money to live a financially stable life for when I'm older. So please, could someone inform me if a salary of 25 to 32 thousand a year is a decent amount?

£25 to £32k will be enough to allow you to have a roof above your head, pay the bills and also have other luxuries like holidays etc. although, as others have said, whether it is a good salary is quite relative. Perhaps speaking to your parents about this might help if they are open with you about their salaries with you, or at least some of the financial costs of living (e.g. bills, rent/mortgage, holidays).
Reply 10
I think over all the average salary in the country is 22k. So if you're earning 30k+ in your 20's then you're doing pretty ****ing well really.

But of course on this site if you aren't on at least 30k straight out of Uni then you're a massive failure with no future. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Your thread is contradictory OP - you can't have a good, average salary - it's either the average salary for the UK, or a good salary. I would consider a good salary at around 30k, this can achieve a good standard of living.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending