The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by sr234
Awww dw, im sure it'll all work out for u:frown: Will they most likely be retaking?

They probably will be
Reply 121
Equally annoyed at OCR like most on here. 84 UMS for english literature (Just on a B), yet I know for a fact it went so much better. Coursework included. >_> AQA really ****ed up too and definitely getting politics unit 1 +2 remarked and history! Got a D in the paper I know I did way better in and got a C in the one that went t*t's up! :frown: Overall, BDD. Gutted.
Reply 122
Hi, just for clarification... are AS marks equivalent to high school grade 12 marks or university marks?
Reply 123
Original post by spookz
Yeah AQA. I was confident to. Won't you able to resit any of the modules next year?

I'm not sure because I already have to resit Unit 1 for politics, so I'm gonna wait till school starts and see whether I should. But could I push it up to a B with unit 3 and 4?
Original post by Jkizer
a Marginal A on C1 and a C on C2. Fortunately i got a highish B on mechanics (God knows how) which averages it out to a mid range B for AS.

Basically i have a tendency to completely fluster under Maths exams, which results in making crappy mistakes
E.g. For the edexcel c2, for a Circles question i some how churned out that 6-2=2 Thereby losing many marks :smile:

ah unlucky man , but a B is still a really good grade ! it is by no means a failure :smile: are you going for an A overall for Maths or an A* ?
I was predicted ABBC but i got

History (Edexcel) - B
Pyschology (AQA A)- B
Economics (Edexcel) - C (1 ums from a B so I'm going to get it remarked)
Graphics (OCR) -D (which I was dropping anyway but still gutted I didn't manage to scrape a C)

Its not the worst results ever but I'm still really disappointed because I want to do Law which is obviously very competitive. I really wanted to apply to Southampton and Surrey (AAA-AAB) but I don't know what my chances would be of getting an offer even if I got my teachers to predict me the entry req.

Do I have to apply to all BBC-BCC universities now?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Yep. I did not get the results I expected at all, I was only really scared about English Lit and confident about psychology. Turns out, Psychology was my worst and Eng lit my best. My results are so bad... I'm not even going to post it, they will make your eyes bleed. But I did 'pass' them all (Hence AS pass rate is A-E). I'm really depressed as I've now been booted out of my sixthform. I don't know where else to go.
My As results t were not what I expected, oh hunn I feel exactly the same I feel like such a big failure believe me u have not done bad at all I have achieved an E and extremely worried and depressed so yeah I think it was was very harsh or maybe it was just me that could have done better but no I believe they did mark harshly.:smile:
Are u going to resit the year?
The AS marks this year was definitely harsh, especially the OCR exam board. Both of the subjects I have taken which are art based, was taken with OCR and I worked extremely hard (art based subjects had me working late hours at night, less sleep, and less time to revise english literature.) and ended up with a C in Graphics and an E in Textiles (I persistently told my teacher that I did NOT want to do textiles, and kept on forcing me to do it.) she predicted an A and a B in both subjects, and at the end I got the opposite grades. I took AQA English Literature, and ended up with a C (with a "B" in the creative study, and a "D" in the exam). It's not Graphics and English Literature that is a burden, but it's the fact that my college refuses me to drop the bloody textiles, and pick up another AS, as they will not let me continue that AS through A2. I don't whether to stay and work really hard, or start my a-levels again in a new college. My English Literature with an "A" in GCSE, is a "C" in a-levels so its a huge leap. Just hate OCR so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SyedaK
All I can say is, I'm seriously hating OCR GB. They've messed up my chemistry and media studies
And health and social care
Original post by MeganRok
24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

:frown:

remember that unis tend to mainly look at predicted grades! with your results, I can see a ( minimum) AAAB prediction for A2, which will open a lot of doors for you.
Hello, just like the other nervous year 12 students, I received my AS results today. I'm not academic at all, which is a shame as I am one of those who wants to do well at things they do. Anyway, I'm happy with my results but i failed maths. No suprise there. But so did the majority of my college. Intact i think 3 people passed. And two of them only got E's. This was the same in the January results. Now, is this JUST happening in my college? It's not the teachers as they also teach year 13 and they've done superb. Or is it just happens that the whole maths students are bad. In S1 I recieved an E. My mark was 43. The boundry for an A was supposedly 57. Is this true? If it is, why are the mark things so narrow. Anyway, anyone else problem with maths, its OCR to clarify.
Original post by MeganRok
24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

:frown:

OUCH!
Reply 132
Original post by Fas
ah unlucky man , but a B is still a really good grade ! it is by no means a failure :smile: are you going for an A overall for Maths or an A* ?

Me an A*?!?! Damn i would have to be a true blooded asian to pull that off. I'm hoping for AAB at the end of A2, though im sure many fluctuations and road bumps may happen on the way :smile:
Wbu?
Reply 133
I know this sounds dumb, but does the results we got today include coursework?
Reply 134
Original post by paeroa
I know this sounds dumb, but does the results we got today include coursework?

They do indeed include coursework. :biggrin:
I got DDDD, I'm just glad I made it in to my second year...

I'm fully motivated to turn these grades around, already got a tutor sorted! I think everyone who made in to A2 should be proud of that and be grateful they've got time to turn their grades around, at least you'll be fully familiar with A Level standard of work now so woo positive everyoneeee
Original post by Scotttt
I got a UMS mark of 85 for FP1 and got an A, I felt it was a harder paper than usual, so FP1 seems as if it's lower than usual. S1 was an absolute b*tch and I only got a very high C (seeing that Maths is my strongest subject).

losing one mark might of meant losing 5 ums points right? because the grade boundaries are so damn high,i got 95 in FP1
Original post by carpe diem 123
The marking for F322 is shocking. I was convinced I'd only lost one mark, and subsequently sat the actual paper a few days later which was marked by my chem teacher and she reckoned it would be around 97/100, yet I get my results and it's 123/150!

Definitely get your script photocopied and sent back and then get a remark. OCR chem is known for shoddy marking - it's such a long exam paper half the examiners loose the will to live and just fob people off with badly graded questions.

Good luck!

Exactly the same! I thought I'd got 95+ and ended up getting 123! I'm happy because I got an A but I'm considering a remark to make string an A next year easier. How do you know ocr have a bad rep?
You think those who marked the papers just decided to over-analyse this years' students papers? And as a result, reap marks that would have otherwise been awarded? I don't think so.

In my opinion, if you didn't get the grades you were after, you ****ed up. Not the exam markers' fault.
Original post by SyedaK
All I can say is, I'm seriously hating OCR GB. They've messed up my chemistry and media studies

Totally agree with you. I hate OCR Chemistry marking, they want you to be so specific and have so many specific words for a mark. Urgh, i hate OCR.

Quick Reply

Latest