The Student Room Group

Disappointments in/upset about results that aren't socially acceptable to talk about

Got any? I'm talking about grades that would be seen by most people as good grades, so it doesn't really feel like you can openly whine about them when people have completely failed, missed out of their universities etc. yet you're still upset about them but you just get no proper comfort except for "that's not a bad grade".

I can start off, for instance: I got a B in one of my modules today, a couple marks off an A. Really, it means nothing - I'm still on a comfy A (thanks to a good result in the other module), its barely going to affect my overall grade next year, and I'm not properly upset about it, more just infuriated. Its just annoying because I was getting As in all the past papers I was doing, I worked really hard to the point it affected studying for other subjects, and I was so close to an A as well. Heart of hearts, I'm more upset about it than the C I got in one of my other exams, which I hated and wanted to drop and barely revised for at all. It's also frustrating because I did so well in the other module - it would have been nice to get similar marks and get as close as possible to full marks for the whole AS level.

I also know someone who got the grades to get into university, but is still disappointed, because they didn't achieve as high as they normally did, as a similar example.
EDIT: Also just thought of a more specific one, my sister is kicking herself for not working harder in one of her subjects so she would have got higher than a B. For her other two subjects, she got A*A*, succeeding the requirements for her uni.

Just thought it'd be nice to have a little space where we can do the "ooooohhh i didn't get an A wahh :musicus: " thing without someone saying that we need to be considerate for others/get into perspective. I don't mean to make anyone upset who have got into serious trouble with their results!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Know exactly how you feel.

Really wanted an A desperately :frown: even though I got into my chosen uni. I'm sort of disappointed in myself that I didn't achieve one in a particular subject as I was on track for one!
Reply 2
I wouldn't say a B is socially unacceptable to talk about on the other threads as a lot of the threads are actually moaning about getting a B. What would be socially unacceptable is crying that you got A*A*A instead of A*A*A*:eyeball:
Reply 3
1 UMS off an A* in maths.

Oh well.
Original post by Katie97
I wouldn't say a B is socially unacceptable to talk about on the other threads as a lot of the threads are actually moaning about getting a B. What would be socially unacceptable is crying that you got A*A*A instead of A*A*A*:eyeball:

People have different standards. I don't see what's so bad about that.

Why should you feel guilty for saying that you got A*A*A instead of A*A*A*? The burden shouldn't be on you, it should be those who didn't work hard enough.
Reply 5
I haven't, i got average. BBBC. But my best friend started crying today and ran out of the room to throw a tantrum over her AABB because she wanted all As.
Original post by Katie97

Maybe its acceptable on here, but in real life it wouldn't be, or not my college anyway - and there's always a helpful poster telling moaning people like that to shut up when needed :smile:
(though I guess if you worked really hard for an A*A*A* and didn't get it it'd be as disappointing as working for an A to get a B)
I completely understand. Chemistry is my favourite subject and in January I was getting 95 - 100% in practice papers and I ended up scraping an A, yes it's an A which is great but the perfectionist in me said "you only just scraped it". Thankfully my June exam got me more comfortably into an A but either way an A is an A, weird how we get like this !
There's nothing wrong with it though (well it drives you crazy but ..) I mean people just set different standards for themselves. B isn't a bad grade at all but for some people it isn't what they were expecting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by im so academic
People have different standards. I don't see what's so bad about that.

Why should you feel guilty for saying that you got A*A*A instead of A*A*A*? The burden shouldn't be on you, it should be those who didn't work hard enough.

True true.
Reply 9
I understand, a "B" in any module would have really annoyed me. Maybe because you have higher standards than your average pleb. Either way, well done :smile:

(NB: I also received 4 As today)
Original post by MeganRok
I haven't, i got average. BBBC. But my best friend started crying today and ran out of the room to throw a tantrum over her AABB because she wanted all As.

People have different expectations of themselves.
I understand too.
Last year I was getting 90%+ on my chemistry A2 unit 5, at the end, I managed to scrape an A...
We all have different expectations and if we don't meet it, we're going to feel a little bit annoyed despite how good the grade is.
Original post by brendonbackflip
Got any? I'm talking about grades that would be seen by most people as good grades, so it doesn't really feel like you can openly whine about them when people have completely failed, missed out of their universities etc. yet you're still upset about them but you just get no proper comfort except for "that's not a bad grade".

I can start off, for instance: I got a B in one of my modules today, a couple marks off an A. Really, it means nothing - I'm still on a comfy A (thanks to a good result in the other module), its barely going to affect my overall grade next year, and I'm not properly upset about it, more just infuriated. Its just annoying because I was getting As in all the past papers I was doing, I worked really hard to the point it affected studying for other subjects, and I was so close to an A as well. Heart of hearts, I'm more upset about it than the C I got in one of my other exams, which I hated and wanted to drop and barely revised for at all. It's also frustrating because I did so well in the other module - it would have been nice to get similar marks and get as close as possible to full marks for the whole AS level.

I also know someone who got the grades to get into university, but is still disappointed, because they didn't achieve as high as they normally did, as a similar example.
EDIT: Also just thought of a more specific one, my sister is kicking herself for not working harder in one of her subjects so she would have got higher than a B. For her other two subjects, she got A*A*, succeeding the requirements for her uni.

Just thought it'd be nice to have a little space where we can do the "ooooohhh i didn't get an A wahh :musicus: " thing without someone saying that we need to be considerate for others/get into perspective. I don't mean to make anyone upset who have got into serious trouble with their results!

Was saying I failed Biology, people were like what did you get, I was like a B, they were like I got an E mate... Awkward. Basically got two C's and a high A the coursework which literally bought it up 1 UMS into a B. Still disappointing, wanted a solid B :/
I got a B in English =/ was on an A at AS so I'm kinda gutted.

I got a D in the final exam which embarrasses me slightly, I thought I would have done better.

Feel bad saying that because I did get into my first choice uni (and I beat my best friend :P) but still... a B =/
Original post by coco_madem0iselle
I completely understand. Chemistry is my favourite subject and in January I was getting 95 - 100% in practice papers and I ended up scraping an A, yes it's an A which is great but the perfectionist in me said "you only just scraped it". Thankfully my June exam got me more comfortably into an A but either way an A is an A, weird how we get like this !
There's nothing wrong with it though (well it drives you crazy but ..) I mean people just set different standards for themselves. B isn't a bad grade at all but for some people it isn't what they were expecting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, thats one of my other exams that annoyed me - I got 95% in my history module in January, I should have got a similar mark or even higher for this one as it was meant to be an easier paper, but I got 84% instead. An A, but yeah I'd say I'm a perfectionist when it comes to exams as well. I don't see any harm in having standards, and I guess its ok to talk about it in a forum where most people will be really interested in academics, but I don't think many of my friends would understand (particularly if they're upset about their own grades) as its not even that normal to get As at our college.
Original post by AlanAlty
Was saying I failed Biology, people were like what did you get, I was like a B, they were like I got an E mate... Awkward. Basically got two C's and a high A the coursework which literally bought it up 1 UMS into a B. Still disappointing, wanted a solid B :/

Nearly did that today, texted one of my mates who did the module preparing to have a little bit of banter about how I've 'failed' (because he whinged all the time about how I always got As) to find that he'd got a U. There's failing, and then there's failing and it's always awkward to get the two mixed up.
Reply 16
i know what you mean op a hug from me and to all the other people who are not satisfied. I messed up in my bio and chem and ended up with 2bs 72 and 77 percent respectively which for a medic is not ideal.
Reply 17
I did well overall, but I didn't get an A in the subject I wanted to take for uni- so I'm a bit disappointed
Can relate - AS exams today and got AABC which is fine because I'm dropping the C but the B was one UMS off the A which I am gutted about because I have to put this on my ucas form, so first remarks then retakes here I come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bloodwolfi
i know what you mean op a hug from me and to all the other people who are not satisfied. I messed up in my bio and chem and ended up with 2bs 72 and 77 percent respectively which for a medic is not ideal.

Yeah I don't think 'normal' :tongue: people get it when it comes to medics (and Oxbridge applicants too for that matter), none of my mates could understand why one of my other mates wanted to resit a B in her physics a few months back - because she needs an A!

Quick Reply

Latest