The Student Room Group

What REALLY happens if you fail a resit???

Hi I'm doing a set of resits and I fear that I'm failing, or which I know that I'm going to fail for games design. I've passed illustration at that point but now I'm not keen on games design as it is too much for me and yes I am doing combined honours.

I've gotten quiet ill during the summer from my long term illness sickle cell and that has been quiet of a struggle when you try and maintain the work with that type of illness. Although the last deadline was passed but I've got a extenuating form for the work, which I hope that it'll be sent to the course tutor for games design.

so please can anyone give me any advice just in case my extenuation form get's capped in the end once I'll hand in work? I don't know if I should either move out to another uni and do illustration or take a break from education for a while and get a job someplace.

I really thought that I'll be doing alright for my first year but it all seems to be fallen out of place and I really don't know what to do at this point. :frown:
You'll need to speak to your academic tutor, but there are normally two outcomes
- having to resit the year (possibly after a gap year, if your health necessitates it)
- being kicked out of uni

They can't normally let you progress to the next year unless you have achieved the required standard though - they have to be seen to be upholding standards.
I would resit the whole year but I'm not enjoying games design as much cos I enjoyed illustration a lot more. I'll try and talk to my academic tutors to see what other options I can really have once if I fail or already failed Games Design. :frown:
Is it possible they will let you transfer to the first year of Illustration if you need to resit? It might be different to organise, as they will be in different schools, and possibly different faculties, but if you are facing repeating the year anyway, there is no harm in asking.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Is it possible they will let you transfer to the first year of Illustration if you need to resit? It might be different to organise, as they will be in different schools, and possibly different faculties, but if you are facing repeating the year anyway, there is no harm in asking.

I would doubt that'll work cos I've got less than 4 days to complete 4 modules so I have to send it off to my uni next week. So I gotta finish the stuff I can complete without fail I just don't want to either do games design to be miserable and depressed for the next 3 years or/and drop out of uni if I can't get a transfer to Illustration.
Original post by Origami Bullets
You'll need to speak to your academic tutor, but there are normally two outcomes
- having to resit the year (possibly after a gap year, if your health necessitates it)
- being kicked out of uni

They can't normally let you progress to the next year unless you have achieved the required standard though - they have to be seen to be upholding standards.

I would do gap year but how can I apply for it during university? But I think that, and I don't know why I'm saying this but I'd could rather get kicked out of uni and just find a job that pays well. But then I'll have to live by constant rowing by my parents and family while trying to maintain from getting sick by either sickle cell decease or psychosis (mild and have been discharged since 2010). So then again I'll probably talk to the academic tutors and see how I can get out if this.
Reply 6
I don't know about your university but at mine you can start again basically. I know two people who changed courses entirely (one was an English student, one did computer science and they both switched to business) and restarted their first year. There should be an option for this. There should also be a leave of absence type thing in place for your struggles, where you can take some time out due to your illness and circumstances and come back to the university. Talk to your personal tutor asap about all of it because you have options! You just need to sort them out first!
Reply 7
Your university should be sympathetic IF you have failed AND it was due to your condition.

But I would advise you to really think about IF you want to change courses at this point. If the problem is down to you hating this subject more than your medical problems then you don't want to waste another year of your life on the wrong course. Only you know the answer for this.

Good luck for the future - it sounds as if you know what you are really good at and enjoy already, which is more than half the battle. Someone once told me that to succeed you just have to want something enough. If you do, you'll do whatever you need to to achieve that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Silent-samurai87
I would do gap year but how can I apply for it during university? But I think that, and I don't know why I'm saying this but I'd could rather get kicked out of uni and just find a job that pays well. But then I'll have to live by constant rowing by my parents and family while trying to maintain from getting sick by either sickle cell decease or psychosis (mild and have been discharged since 2010). So then again I'll probably talk to the academic tutors and see how I can get out if this.

You can take an "interruption of studies" (a mid-uni gap year) by talking to your academic tutor. They're often used by people who have health problems, have a baby, or who think they might want to drop out but aren't quite sure - they get to see how they fare in the world of work, whilst having the option to return to uni if it doesn't work out as they'd hoped.

If you dropped / were kicked out then are you sure that you actually would get a good job? To be somewhat blunt, a uni drop out with a significant sickness record is not the most attractive of candidates.
Original post by chocowhat
I don't know about your university but at mine you can start again basically. I know two people who changed courses entirely (one was an English student, one did computer science and they both switched to business) and restarted their first year. There should be an option for this. There should also be a leave of absence type thing in place for your struggles, where you can take some time out due to your illness and circumstances and come back to the university. Talk to your personal tutor asap about all of it because you have options! You just need to sort them out first!

I'll try and see if I can talk to my tutors about these sort of options in Games Design but the thing is is that I'll be petrified on seeing them and what to say about the course because they're seem to be a few strict tutors that scares me quiet often.

If I need to switch to my illustration course then the only way in to illustration is to pass the modules in Games Design, which that I got at least 4 modules to complete and I fear that I'll never complete it on time cos I'm quiet nieve on what I have to do to reach a higher percentage of each modules which is why I'm always super worried on how I should complete each module in so little time now.

Even though I do play computer games myself but rarely now because I'm trying to get focused on illustration and I miss a lot in drawing now, which is why I'd love to become a digital painter and do concept art but thing is that there's no schooling of concept art in the UK and even if there is then I can't move and live outside London cos of my illness and this is a real struggle for me as of I'm scared that I have to pay back loans within a year if I get kicked out of uni.

Plus 5 years ago I've suffered a mild mental illness of psychosis so I really need to be careful if that bleep comes back then I'll need to sort it out and it will effect my family to the max.

sorry for the long rant been drinking red bull and my head is already fried on what to say. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Some good news I'm seeing my illustrator tutor next week so he can approve that I can switch to do single hons in illustration, probably he know that I've passed? Lol. But I'm still stressing getting work done for games design so I can drop myself from that course but I'm still quiet slow to get most things done and it's killing me all over. I don't know if its too late to drop myself off the course just like that and hope won't get an angry letter for sending my work late than expected.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
When does your games design work need to be in?
Speak to your personal tutor (if you have one... at my university everyone is assigned a personal tutor who is the first point of contact for academic and welfare issues) who should be understanding and nice (I've had mental health issues and I'm about to repeat my second year, but my tutor has been brilliant, calling doctors to make appointments for me so I could get a doctors note, and even being behind me when I wanted to transfer to a new university) especially if you tell them the issues you've had. They'll be there to discuss all your options and set your mind at ease and to help you get in touch with the right people to sort it out, including if you feel you need a gap year (it's normal when there are health issues involved and several people take them).

Good luck with switching to illustration!
When does your games design work need to be in?
Speak to your personal tutor (if you have one... at my university everyone is assigned a personal tutor who is the first point of contact for academic and welfare issues) who should be understanding and nice (I've had mental health issues and I'm about to repeat my second year, but my tutor has been brilliant, calling doctors to make appointments for me so I could get a doctors note, and even being behind me when I wanted to transfer to a new university) especially if you tell them the issues you've had. They'll be there to discuss all your options and set your mind at ease and to help you get in touch with the right people to sort it out, including if you feel you need a gap year (it's normal when there are health issues involved and several people take them).

Good luck with switching to illustration!

Well for starters I've missed the deadline for games design so I've been told by a friend to get an extenuation form so I can bring the work withing 7 days (now I got 3 and a half days to complete 3 modules) but I may fear that my extenuation from might be rejected cos it might be the very last deadline for the year so I may have to repeat year 1 with only illustration if I can't pass games design to get into year 2
Reply 13
If you've missed the deadline for extenuating circumstances too then repeating the year isn't so bad, especially since you have health concerns to put it down to. And it may mean you don't have to do games design at all any more which would be good. make sure you speak to someone, your tutors are there to help you. :smile:
If you've missed the deadline for extenuating circumstances too then repeating the year isn't so bad, especially since you have health concerns to put it down to. And it may mean you don't have to do games design at all any more which would be good. make sure you speak to someone, your tutors are there to help you. :smile:

I've sent an email to one of my tutors from games design so we can have a talk about what my options are, but however I'm still doing a few more modules to hand in with the extenuation form and if I still miss the deadline I don't know if UEL will let me switch courses to start a year again. Now I'm super anxious of what kind of news they'll give me even though I'm loosing my mind while I'm trying to finish up a few modules on time that I'm trying to pass the course. So lets hope that one of my tutors in games design help me switch courses if I'm done doing a few modules to pass or not. :'(
Original post by RachelB11
Your university should be sympathetic IF you have failed AND it was due to your condition.

But I would advise you to really think about IF you want to change courses at this point. If the problem is down to you hating this subject more than your medical problems then you don't want to waste another year of your life on the wrong course. Only you know the answer for this.

Good luck for the future - it sounds as if you know what you are really good at and enjoy already, which is more than half the battle. Someone once told me that to succeed you just have to want something enough. If you do, you'll do whatever you need to to achieve that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wish I could see one of the tutors from games design that are
nice to me and see if someone can help just in regards of what options should I take and hope for the best I'll do illustration as a single course. Plus my parents are going to come with me of Tuesday so I'll try and persuade them not to come so I can do this on my own. There might be a lot of people coming in halls so I don't want to be embarrassed in this situation where there's people around.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply