The Student Room Group

Scared of starting Chem Eng at university, im crying....

Initially I didn't want to do Chemical Engineering I applied for another course but this was my backup. I got my firm offer today and was congratulated. I did A-levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and AS Physics (didn't take further maths).

I'm absolutely terrified of starting in October to the point my heart beats fast each time I think about it. I'm scared that I'll be paying a lot of money and I may drop out and waste it all. My biggest worry is that I won't understand anything from the first lecture and will be stranded there.

I didn't do A2 Physics or any Further Maths, how much of an adverse affect will this have? I didn't enjoy the content, I feel as if I won't be able to handle the work.

Can any Chemical engineers from Birmingham tell me about their day/work? I'm so worried because I don't know whats going on...
Reply 1
Anyone? :frown:
Reply 2
You could try and transfer courses to one you would like to do.
First of all, congratulations on making your offer :smile:

It's normal to feel worried about not being good enough this close to starting Uni, but don't forget that you wouldn't have been given an offer if the admissions tutor didn't think you were good enough for your course.

I didn't do Chemical Engineering and I didn't go to Birmingham, but from my experience Unis start you off gently, especially in the first few weeks. Make sure you attend all lectures and tutorials and do all the required problem sheets or additional reading, and you should do just fine. If you do feel stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help from others on your course or your tutors and lecturers. Uni is very different from sixth form. You are in charge of your own education. You need to take responsibility of not falling behind on your course!

If you have spare time now, you could start looking through the recommended textbooks to get a head start. It may help you feel more confident about your course.

As long as you put the work in you'll be fine!

Good luck :smile:
Read this and realize you earned it, buddy. If not you, then who?
Original post by Curious Minds
Initially I didn't want to do Chemical Engineering I applied for another course but this was my backup. I got my firm offer today and was congratulated. I did A-levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and AS Physics (didn't take further maths).

I'm absolutely terrified of starting in October to the point my heart beats fast each time I think about it. I'm scared that I'll be paying a lot of money and I may drop out and waste it all. My biggest worry is that I won't understand anything from the first lecture and will be stranded there.

I didn't do A2 Physics or any Further Maths, how much of an adverse affect will this have? I didn't enjoy the content, I feel as if I won't be able to handle the work.

Can any Chemical engineers from Birmingham tell me about their day/work? I'm so worried because I don't know whats going on...

They aren't going to suddenly spring really, really difficult new stuff on you in your very first lecture. That, I will promise you. If F. Maths has some stuff in it that is really important for your degree course, then you will probably have a 'maths for chem. engineers' in your first year, again with A2 physics, you may have a physics for chem eng.' module.

Seriously, the first semester of my first year (I'm doing Chemistry) was more extending what we'd learnt at A level than anything else. If theres something you don't understand in a lecture, see if your textbooks/ wikipedia explain it better. If you still don't have a clue, go and see the lecturer who does that topic, they don't bite (honestly) and won't be cross if you don't understand. What you shouldn't do is bury your head in the sand and pretend that it isnt a problem.
Reply 6
Thanks all for the replies, I'm feeling better now.

Original post by .snowflake.
x

This helped me a lot, thank you very much. My university however didn't send me an email or a letter or anything. I don't know what I need at the start of university or any reading material, where can I check, I feel stranded at this point. :redface:

This helped me a lot, thank you very much. My university however didn't send me an email or a letter or anything. I don't know what I need at the start of university or any reading material, where can I check, I feel stranded at this point. :redface:

I'm assuming you've found out that you've been sucessful this morning? Give them chance duck, I'd say don't worry unless it is this time next week and you have heard nothing from them. For lectures and things, go for the traditional pen and paper - assuming Chem. Eng. is like chemistry, its just easier to do it by hand than be constantly faffing about with equation editor! Leave buying your stationery and folders and all that jazz until you get there. Gives you something to do in freshers and saves you having to cart it there. Books, you may find that the department might give you your core textbook.

Do you know the modules taught in first year? There may be a list on their website. You could try researching basic concepts on those subjects. it may not be directly relevant, but it would be nice to have some sort of background knowledge :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you both. :smile: Also if I'm not renting accommodation (since I'm local) would it be worth going to arrivals week at university anyway?
Thank you both. :smile: Also if I'm not renting accommodation (since I'm local) would it be worth going to arrivals week at university anyway?

Arrivals week as in Freshers? If yes. DEFINITELY.

First off, congratulations on your offer. It might seem daunting but it's a big change and that's natural. You sound like your A levels suit it and the university wouldn't have offered you a place if they expected you to fail. Secondly, I'm sure they'll send you more info in time. People are still going through clearing so I imagine they'll send letters out to everyone at the same time. If you do want to read up though, try your local library then that way you won't be spending money on books you don't need. Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by RachaelBee
x

Thank you very much for your reply, appreciate it a lot!

Original post by .snowflake.
Arrivals week as in Freshers? If yes. DEFINITELY.

It says 'Arrivals weekend' then 'Welcome week'? :tongue:
Thank you very much for your reply, appreciate it a lot!

It says 'Arrivals weekend' then 'Welcome week'? :tongue:

arrivals weekend will be when people who are living in halls get there keys && move in. So welcome week will be Freshers. Definitely go. I don't care what you do, just don't stay at home. Visit the freshers fair, so much free stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest