The Student Room Group

RG Universities accepting for masters.

Suppose I do a 4 year degree at a University with not the most fantastic reputation. Would there still be a fair chance to get accepted to do masters at a University with a much better reputation e.g Russell Uni?

On the basis I get a First, and spend my 3rd year in a good placement that's specifically related to the masters course I plan to take?

I've heard that they will take into account which University I studied my degree at and I'm a little worried this could damage my chances of getting in.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by x-Natalie-x
Suppose I do a 4 year degree at a University with not the most fantastic reputation. Would there still be a fair chance to get accepted to do masters at a University with a much better reputation e.g Russell Uni?

On the basis I get a First, and spend my 3rd year in a good placement that's specifically related to the masters course I plan to take?

I've heard that they will take into account which University I studied my degree at and I'm a little worried this could damage my chances of getting in.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Oxbridge takes people from relatively minor unis for postgrad, so long as they can write a decent application. Do well, and it won't hinder you significantly.
At masters level a lot of it comes down to whether your research interests reflect those of the university. If its a good fit and you do well at undergraduate level then there's a good chance they would take you on.
Reply 3
Thank you!

Although my grades weren't significantly bad, i made the mistake of going to a poor college and didn't have a tutor for about 3/4 of my time spent there. Unfortunately, universities don't care about this when it comes to accepting applicants so I had to settle for the lesser of the two Universities.

But i'm motivated now and ready for hard work. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get into the University I want for my masters. :3 You've put my mind at rest that there's still hope for me! :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by x-Natalie-x
Thank you!

Although my grades weren't significantly bad, i made the mistake of going to a poor college and didn't have a tutor for about 3/4 of my time spent there. Unfortunately, universities don't care about this when it comes to accepting applicants so I had to settle for the lesser of the two Universities.

But i'm motivated now and ready for hard work. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get into the University I want for my masters. :3 You've put my mind at rest that there's still hope for me! :colondollar:

it shouldnt matter from what i understand but you do need to be aware there is no student finance for masters, funding is not guarenteed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending