The Student Room Group

How to improve my self esteem

I feel very insecure about myself- when people look at me I always think they are judging me for what I wear or how I look. Also I avoid speaking to people occasionally because I don't want them to judge me.

I also don't speak much to people so I guess improving my self esteem will help with this?

So... how do I improve it? Sure I could go to the gym and get new clothes but this won't make me very attractive- i'm not the type of person who could possibly be attractive.

Any ideas?
Personally, I have found that insecurities can be dealt with mentally rather than physically, so I would not suggest that you spend time/money working on your appearance (as you have said; buying new clothes or going to the gym).

What exactly are you insecure about?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I feel very insecure about myself- when people look at me I always think they are judging me for what I wear or how I look. Also I avoid speaking to people occasionally because I don't want them to judge me.

I also don't speak much to people so I guess improving my self esteem will help with this?

So... how do I improve it? Sure I could go to the gym and get new clothes but this won't make me very attractive- i'm not the type of person who could possibly be attractive.

Any ideas?

PM me for chat.
I am the same.

If you're a boy though, I reckon going down to the gym would help improve your confidence. That's what everyone else always says. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SHallowvale
Personally, I have found that insecurities can be dealt with mentally rather than physically, so I would not suggest that you spend time/money working on your appearance (as you have said; buying new clothes or going to the gym).

What exactly are you insecure about?

My looks, the way I dress, my complete lack of social skills, doing stuff I wouldn't normally do (gym, for example), what people might think of me etc.
Reply 5
with the gym it is not just the overall effect which makes a person feel better about themselves, its the endorphines you get from every work out. sometimes if you have too much free time , you have too much time to think. i would advise against this, rather do something constructive. i started exercising and it changed my mind set, i do it to feel good at the end of a gym session, not for the end result of losing weight, and that s much more motivating.
I feel very insecure all the time. I always think I am ignored. I feel like I'm nothing. No one will ever like me.
I am less than nothing. I am a failure myself. I am nothing but an embarrassment. People look down on me.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel very insecure all the time. I always think I am ignored. I feel like I'm nothing. No one will ever like me.
I am less than nothing. I am a failure myself. I am nothing but an embarrassment. People look down on me.

I'm the same and I'm going into therapy to deal with these issues - CBT. Perhaps you might want to consider the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending