The Student Room Group

How much does your A level grades...

influence how well you do at uni?
I'm happy with my grades (AAA) but when I compare myself to everyone who got into my uni, about 90% of the people in the facebook group have A*s. Most have 2. Some have 3. And it makes me feel incredibly pathetic not having any. I know AAA is good, but compared to everyone in the group I feel like I'm at the bottom of the barrel and I don't deserve to be there. Everyone is so intelligent and I don't feel like I fit in anymore. I'm really happy for everyone, I've spoken to quite a few people and they deserve their grades as they're so hard working.

I'm asking because I want to get a 1st - so I was wondering if it's even realistic to aim for one? I slacked on my A2 year (got complacent due to AS results) and I had to deal with a couple of mental health problems so this is definitely a wake up call. And I am so ready to push myself to do well. I just don't want to disappoint myself even further.

Is there anyone already at uni who felt this way before they started and ended up doing well when they got to uni even though they just about got into uni? :smile:

EDIT: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I don't know where this would seem relevant!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't worry about your A-Level grades affecting your university grades - it really won't matter.

Having good grades doesn't equal a first, and neither does having bad grades. It's a different ball game. Not like your O-Levels pre-determined your A-Level scores, did they?
Wouldn't worry about it at all :smile: ...once you're at uni you'll find you're going to be at about the same level of other students anyway. Just out of curiosity, which university did you get into?

(((((congrats btw :biggrin:)))))
Original post by hslakaal
Don't worry about your A-Level grades affecting your university grades - it really won't matter.

Having good grades doesn't equal a first, and neither does having bad grades. It's a different ball game. Not like your O-Levels pre-determined your A-Level scores, did they?

Very good point. I'm just really disheartened right now, but I want a shot at redemption.

Original post by Alleykat606
Wouldn't worry about it at all :smile: ...once you're at uni you'll find you're going to be at about the same level of other students anyway. Just out of curiosity, which university did you get into?

(((((congrats btw :biggrin:)))))

I hope so, if I continue this downward spiral I don't know what I'm gonna do. Bristol :biggrin:
They don't pure and simple look at them like a key they fit the door and it opened what you do in the room has no bearing on what you did outside it does that make sence
Reply 5
After you arrive - it's unlikely that anyone will ask..... Often anyone who does is seen as seriously uncool!

Three As are excellent - don't let those random thoughts in your head take away the celebration that should be happening! You will be in the top few percent in the country!

Also at Bristol it's quite likely that some of those with A*s come from private schools with much smaller classes!
Good luck!
Vus

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 6
I swear people post this exact question every year. Boo hoo, let me find my violin.
Reply 7
Original post by InadequateJusticex

I know how you are feeling. Well uni grades hardly matters. I had 4A*s but when I went to uni, I found it just as much difficult as the rest of my friends. Talking about comparing A Level grades in uni, as soon as you start uni and after a semester when the results comes up, its all about how you did.

Uni education system is a lot different than school. So, you might do better than those who got A* and when you graduate with a good degree, you can tell them : Do you like apples ? How do you like them now !!!
XX!

Dude, 3 A's is amazing. I had BBBCd at A level, finished first year with a 2:1
Reply 9
I'm happy with my grades (AAA) but when I compare myself to everyone who got into my uni, about 90% of the people in the facebook group have A*s. Most have 2. Some have 3. And it makes me feel incredibly pathetic not having any. I know AAA is good, but compared to everyone in the group I feel like I'm at the bottom of the barrel and I don't deserve to be there. Everyone is so intelligent and I don't feel like I fit in anymore. I'm really happy for everyone, I've spoken to quite a few people and they deserve their grades as they're so hard working.

I'm asking because I want to get a 1st - so I was wondering if it's even realistic to aim for one? I slacked on my A2 year (got complacent due to AS results) and I had to deal with a couple of mental health problems so this is definitely a wake up call. And I am so ready to push myself to do well. I just don't want to disappoint myself even further.

Is there anyone already at uni who felt this way before they started and ended up doing well when they got to uni even though they just about got into uni? :smile:

EDIT: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I don't know where this would seem relevant!

yes. I'd got BCC first time round then retook and still 'only' had 3B's so I thought if I cant even get 3 B's on my first go I couldn't be aiming for 2:1's & 1sts. In 2 years and 12 modules I've only had one 2:2 and a couple have been firsts. For one module I was one of only 4 people out of 200+ who took it to get a first, despite having probally almost the lowest A-Level grades of anyone who took it and not knowing anyone else who had to retake to get the grades.

For me whats helped is that university work is nothing like A-Level work apart from the History coursework essay I did. At my uni 75% of my first two years was based on coursework which is where I excell where as A-Level exams, not only asking totally different questions to my university coursework, required you to just memorise lots of information which I'm not good at.
School grades aren't that much of an indicator of how well you're going to do at uni. Uni exams and school exams are totally different. I got much better school grades than my best friend at uni, yet he gets far better uni grades than I do and we both try equally hard. As you said, you slacked in your A2 year so you probably were capable enough of getting A*s at your school exams. Good to see that you're aiming high for your degree score. Good luck achieving your first class! :smile:
As said, there is a huge jump between FE and HE. You may feel comparatively worse now, but study at uni is very different.

Good luck :biggrin:
Don't worry about all that at all. Everybody is on a level playing field when you start uni, it sometimes feels like A Levels don't even really matter. You have as much right to be on your course as someone who got higher grades than you!

As for getting a 1st? Realistic? Of course! Don't lose focus, despite how tempting it may be. Really strive for the grade you want! Good luck and congrats :smile:
I scraped my way into Manchester, and I'm getting fairly consistent 2:1 grades.

Don't worry about what others have got - it's not a competitive thing, so if your work merits the grades then you'll get them. Some will have come from backgrounds that made it harder to work effectively, and so improve at uni. Some will be unable to cope without spoon feeding and constant support, and will bomb out.
Original post by jonathanemptage
x

Original post by gustavus
x

Original post by zaback21
x

Original post by .snowflake.
x

Original post by jelly1000
x

Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
x

Original post by rockrunride
x

Original post by Champagne Supernova
x

Original post by Origami Bullets
x

Thank you so much to everyone who had something nice to say! I feel significantly more reassured. It's really nice to read stories about how some of you are doing so well after maybe not-so-amazing A level grades. It makes sense how everyone is in the same boat at uni though. Definitely going to keep my head held high and just push myself even further for uni. :smile:

Wanting to get a first is good but don't hang everything on it at this stage. Uni is very different to school in terms of workload, learning style and self-motivation as well as the obvious difficulty jump. Some people adjust to this very well and others struggle, even people with top A-levels.

I say this as someone who would have had A*A*A had I taken my A-levels a year later, and struggled with 2:2 / low 2:1 grades for first two years, resitting final year on a different programme and finally getting it together at the end to come out with a first!

Just work your hardest and see what happens.
Reply 16
Heyy! I would really appreciate if anyone could sort of predict my chances of getting into KCL with the AS grades I just achieved. I'm really interested in studying Politics of the International Economy. The grade requirements are AAA..

So my AS grades are AACC - A's in Economics & Biology and C's In Maths & Chemistry. I didn't do as well as I hoped to, but how are those as grades? I don't have much of an indication. I'll be retaking Maths for sure and was planning to drop Chem initially too.

I think my predicted grades will be AAB or A* A B (High A in AS Econ) .. Do you think that could somehow weigh out the AAA requirements if in addition to that, I try and put together an amazing personal statement? I've done so much that is geared towards this course in particular.. or will they just not consider me?

You don't have to be nice :P I can handle honesty.. I hope!
Thank you!
Original post by Ritikaaurora
Heyy! I would really appreciate if anyone could sort of predict my chances of getting into KCL with the AS grades I just achieved. I'm really interested in studying Politics of the International Economy. The grade requirements are AAA..

So my AS grades are AACC - A's in Economics & Biology and C's In Maths & Chemistry. I didn't do as well as I hoped to, but how are those as grades? I don't have much of an indication. I'll be retaking Maths for sure and was planning to drop Chem initially too.

I think my predicted grades will be AAB or A* A B (High A in AS Econ) .. Do you think that could somehow weigh out the AAA requirements if in addition to that, I try and put together an amazing personal statement? I've done so much that is geared towards this course in particular.. or will they just not consider me?

You don't have to be nice :P I can handle honesty.. I hope!
Thank you!

Why don't you make your own thread instead of posting something totally irrelevant in someone else's?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending