The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tess_rach
That's true (although I don't play football :wink:), but my sister will be in year 8 so gets an extra day off - I suppose it counters the month and I half I had off when she was still at school!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't blame you for not playing football when you look at the state of the 2 Bristol teams:biggrin:
Original post by CheesePuffff
Sorry I know you posted this a while ago but I was just wondering how you managed to volunteer in a school? Like, did you do it during term time and if so, how? Sorry this probably sounds like a stupid question but it's something I'm interested in doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well my mum works there and whenever my school had a training day or day off for any reason and they didn't I went in to help for every year since year 7 :lol: also I had study leave from beginning of june ish so I went into school everyday then too :smile: (of course I had to talk to the head teacher and ask if it was okay and everything)
Original post by techno836
it is :smile: ..but it also allows me a contingency plan of being a teacher ( as those who can't do teach :wink: and those who can't teach teach PE )

you are an evil fish :wink: :colone: :lol:

I laughed way too much at that :giggle: :lol:

I love School of Rock :tongue:

Sounds like a good plan though :yy:
Original post by Cluck
Cambridge is the dream but is unrealistic, and nothing in London because I'm not a fan of a city that big, so I'm thinking Bath, Warwick or Durham.

I was unaware that Warwick had a Natural Sciences courses. However, I don't want to stay at home and it would be ridiculous to pay for accommodation in the same city that I live in now.
Original post by Ambulare
Hmm has anyone prepared themselves for starting their AS level courses in September. I am unsure whether or not to. I would like to have a head-start but don't want to lose motivation when I go back and am sitting in lessons bored?

I've done a bit for French.
Original post by overthelove
I laughed way too much at that :giggle: :lol:

I love School of Rock :tongue:

Sounds like a good plan though :yy:

haha :lol: and jack black is just ace :cool: ... yeah I know and really I'd be happy doing either but i'd prefer paediatrician :biggrin:
Original post by Red Fox
12 week holiday and I'm sick of it now. There is only so much football you can play. There are only so many new movies you can watch. There is only so much money you can spend. I just wanna go back to the normal routine now.

Ahh well, im actually enjoying the holidays! im doing one thing mainly: SLEEPINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG . . .

oh and looking for summer jobs and volunteering and stuff! the yr 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11s go on the 3rd of septembeer, i go on the 9th! WOO HOO!
Original post by Red Fox
Don't blame you for not playing football when you look at the state of the 2 Bristol teams:biggrin:

It's true they're rubbish, but I don't like many sports. I used to play netball, but now I just dance :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by techno836
well my mum works there and whenever my school had a training day or day off for any reason and they didn't I went in to help for every year since year 7 :lol: also I had study leave from beginning of june ish so I went into school everyday then too :smile: (of course I had to talk to the head teacher and ask if it was okay and everything)

Oh that's a pretty long time then! I was wondering how you managed to do it for three months straight if you still had school and I got confused :wink:
Thanks for answering anyway. Hopefully I could arrange work experience during a free period in sixth form or something. I know they like students to utilise their free periods by actually doing something beneficial rather than sitting on their phones :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish

:teehee: if you're well spoken, not creepy, explain your questions well I won't ignore you:redface:

Your name ironically mimicks what I feel you are :tongue:

I'd like to believe I'm well spoken, not creepy (although, you'd have to let me know what defines 'creepy' in your opinion :laugh: ) and can explain questions well enough
So I guess you may be interacting with me quite alot in the future. Unless, I get too annoying and am banished from recieveing your prized knowledge :eek: :hide:
Original post by tess_rach
It's true they're rubbish, but I don't like many sports. I used to play netball, but now I just dance :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basketball was my domain, I'm 6ft4. I'm **** at football but I love playing it casually.
Original post by Red Fox
Basketball was my domain, I'm 6ft4. I'm **** at football but I love playing it casually.

That's tall!! I'm 5'11" so I was always keeper as I'm appalling at shooting :tongue: When we had mixed PE, the boys used to laugh at me for trying to play netball whenever we played basketball - not moving with the ball and that sort of thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3712
Original post by Red Fox
I was unaware that Warwick had a Natural Sciences courses. However, I don't want to stay at home and it would be ridiculous to pay for accommodation in the same city that I live in now.

Warwick is a maths only option in my mind. The dilemma I face is that I'm from Cambridge, and I want to move away but also want to go to the best uni for NatSci/Maths :s-smilie:
Original post by tsjmcgrath
They say it's important because they want you to take interest in their subject. Look at it this way: at my school, all the MFL teachers go on about how important the English Baccalaureate is. The technology teachers, on the other hand, think that it's an utter waste of time. Even some of the History teachers agree. As far as I'm aware, the only university in the Russell Group which requires a language GCSE is UCL but you can still get in without and study the course whilst at uni. If the Baccalaureate was so important, universities would have said at the time of announcement that yes, they do only want students with this standard. They didn't.

Universities rarely say what they really want you to have for example so little universities produce a black list but it is well known that universities discriminate against different A-Levels and universities want you to have 5A*-C including English and Maths and while they won't do a public announcement they want it.

If you wanted to go to UCL, you wouldn't want to have to take an extra GCSE in a language on top of your degree so it is quite a disadvantage and in a world becoming more and more globalised universities and employers are going to want languages more and more, especially when you consider how bad the UK is at foreign languages compared to the rest of Europe-how are you supposed to trade and negotiate with people if you don't know their language?

I fully see where my language teacher is going when she said how I'd be at the top of the employment list with 2 languages-I know She was completely exaggerating but She does have a valid point.
Original post by CheesePuffff
Oh that's a pretty long time then! I was wondering how you managed to do it for three months straight if you still had school and I got confused :wink:
Thanks for answering anyway. Hopefully I could arrange work experience during a free period in sixth form or something. I know they like students to utilise their free periods by actually doing something beneficial rather than sitting on their phones :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yeah :L well I did 2 months straight :lol: yeah I'm sure you can :smile: at my school we also doo this peer mentoring where 6th formers help younger years who are being bullied etc. and also help them learn maths English and science in free periods or during tutor :smile: ..theres also an option where if I have a free period last I can go to primary school and volunteer there for the end of the day every week :smile:

Best of luck:smile: it's all good fun when you get to know everybody :smile:
Original post by Cluck
Warwick is a maths only option in my mind. The dilemma I face is that I'm from Cambridge, and I want to move away but also want to go to the best uni for NatSci/Maths :s-smilie:

I suppose you could settle for Oxford but it's just not the same:wink:
Original post by Red Fox

I'd like to go to Cambridge if I get the grades, the only reason I don't want to go to Oxford is that I want to do ab initio German, and at Oxford you can't, you need A-level :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3717
Original post by Red Fox

Especially not for maths :tongue: And I don't think I'd ever be able to shake the feeling of Oxford's inferiority, it's part of my psyche!
Where do you find the grade boundries the day before? I have to wait until 11am to get my results, god that's going to kill me.
Reply 3719
Original post by iSeeYouBarf
Where do you find the grade boundries the day before? I have to wait until 11am to get my results, god that's going to kill me.

They're on the exam board websites, but I'm sure there'll be a TSR thread to link you to them as well. I have to wait until 11 too, and I know the staff are in from 8 because that's when they send out the emails :mad:

Latest