The Student Room Group

Economics places?

How quickly do they go? I know the course is pretty popular. But for unis like QMUL do the clearing spaces last for at least a week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
QMUL is a popular uni, I'd get in very quick.
Reply 2
There's no way anybody can actually quantify that for you. A logical assumption would be quickly.
Reply 3
Original post by rockrunride
QMUL is a popular uni, I'd get in very quick.

It was actually my firm but missed my offer, got ABC. Im having one of my module remarked, one which I got an E but the rest of the modules were AAB. I phoned them and they said they will hold my place for me until I get my grade back. My offer was AAB but they're accepting ABB through clearing. They said that if I get ABB they would reconsider but they cant give me a definite answer yet. So I figured that if there are still spaces by the time I get my grade back, there's a higher chance that they'll accept me provided that my grades go up to ABB. What do you reckon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamsuperjai
How quickly do they go? I know the course is pretty popular. But for unis like QMUL do the clearing spaces last for at least a week?

If that is where you are interested in going then what are you waiting for? I don't hold much hope for places being available in a week. Make a decision and you feel much happier when all this tension is gone:smile:

Good luck mate

QUOTE]
Reply 5
Original post by Craghyrax
There's no way anybody can actually quantify that for you. A logical assumption would be quickly.

But normally, like based from the previous years? Do they get filled really quickly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was actually my firm but missed my offer, got ABC. Im having one of my module remarked, one which I got an E but the rest of the modules were AAB. I phoned them and they said they will hold my place for me until I get my grade back. My offer was AAB but they're accepting ABB through clearing. They said that if I get ABB they would reconsider but they cant give me a definite answer yet. So I figured that if there are still spaces by the time I get my grade back, there's a higher chance that they'll accept me provided that my grades go up to ABB. What do you reckon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your space is being held for you, so it's more likely that they haven't made a decision on the ABB yet rather than waiting to see if they get 'better' applicants. Good luck!

Okay we must have posted at the same time. Did you get a priority marking done?
Reply 8
But normally, like based from the previous years? Do they get filled really quickly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There isn't a normal. I started helping out on Results Day five years ago, and each year has been different in terms of what kinds of courses turned up in Clearing, whether offers were harsh or generous, etc.

But 'generally', Economics is one of the most popular courses in the country, so I'd really get cracking and not try your luck.
Reply 9
[QUOTE="Karen;43985871" Kutie="Kutie"]

Okay we must have posted at the same time. Did you get a priority marking done?

Yup probably. I did get a priority remark done, paid £44 for it. Now just hoping that it would go up by at least 6 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by rockrunride
Your space is being held for you, so it's more likely that they haven't made a decision on the ABB yet rather than waiting to see if they get 'better' applicants. Good luck!

Thank you :smile:) Hopefully I'll get into QMUL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Craghyrax
There isn't a normal. I started helping out on Results Day five years ago, and each year has been different in terms of what kinds of courses turned up in Clearing, whether offers were harsh or generous, etc.

But 'generally', Economics is one of the most popular courses in the country, so I'd really get cracking and not try your luck.

Ohh. Okay. Im waiting to get my remarked though so I cant really do anything about it. Already phoned the uni but all they said was they'd hold my place until I get my remarked grade back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Applied for Economics (with transport studies) at Leeds which has a standard offer of AAA but had it reduced to ABB because of their Access to Leeds scheme (exceptional circumstances). Unfortunately I achieved BBB but I am having a business paper remarked as apparently I attained a mid-D when my other 3 exams have been A,A,B. I need 9 extra raw marks on my business paper but I'm hoping they will accept me even if I only gain a couple because I am close to an A. Also, Economics at Leeds is available through clearing. As you probably can tell, Economics with transport studies is not a popular course so you'd think they would accept me even if I've missed by one grade. I have my insurance offer (Bradford) but do not really want to go there as the standard is poor.
Reply 13
Original post by rav07
Applied for Economics (with transport studies) at Leeds which has a standard offer of AAA but had it reduced to ABB because of their Access to Leeds scheme (exceptional circumstances). Unfortunately I achieved BBB but I am having a business paper remarked as apparently I attained a mid-D when my other 3 exams have been A,A,B. I need 9 extra raw marks on my business paper but I'm hoping they will accept me even if I only gain a couple because I am close to an A. Also, Economics at Leeds is available through clearing. As you probably can tell, Economics with transport studies is not a popular course so you'd think they would accept me even if I've missed by one grade. I have my insurance offer (Bradford) but do not really want to go there as the standard is poor.

Gosh we're in very similar situation. I too dont really want to go to my insurance. Have you tried phoning up Leeds though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Yes I phoned Leeds and was told to send them my remark grade when it arrives and they will reconsider my application. I just hope I gain a couple of marks at least.

What are your firm and insurance choices and what grades did you get?
Reply 15
Original post by rav07
Yes I phoned Leeds and was told to send them my remark grade when it arrives and they will reconsider my application. I just hope I gain a couple of marks at least.

What are your firm and insurance choices and what grades did you get?

I think thats all we can do now really. My firm said exactly the same- they are going to hold my place until I get my remarked grade back. Just hoping that it will increase!

My firm is QMUL and insurance is City.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

QMUL should be there for a good few days in my opinion...........City's got a good careers department if you plan on doing finance,etc
Reply 17
I think thats all we can do now really. My firm said exactly the same- they are going to hold my place until I get my remarked grade back. Just hoping that it will increase!

My firm is QMUL and insurance is City.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me too! Best of luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Iqbal007
QMUL should be there for a good few days in my opinion...........City's got a good careers department if you plan on doing finance,etc

Yea hopefully..but if I do go to City it wouldnt be a complete waste right? I know this is too late but I've never really done extreme research on City. Obviously QMUL was higher in ranking and part of Russel Group and UoL. Yea I am planning on doing work in the finance sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Yea hopefully..but if I do go to City it wouldnt be a complete waste right? I know this is too late but I've never really done extreme research on City. Obviously QMUL was higher in ranking and part of Russel Group and UoL. Yea I am planning on doing work in the finance sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No..................ranking doesn't really matter, what matters is how well the employer knows of the uni, past students employed by them, etc
RG is very much useless for undergrad, it just a recognised lobbying group of the best research institutes(lecturers, post grads, researchers, etc).

What some people believe is that having a degree from a decent university is all you need which is a lie to be honest, when you apply for graduate or even internships, you'll have phone interviews and face to face ones where they'll essentially ask you questions based on real life circumstance. So really its a combination of things such as your degree, grades and especially what you do outside of your uni time volunteering, major society involvement, running events, etc as you'll experience and have real life situations to talk about and develop skills which you can show off.

If you got ABC you might be able to get in or get into a joint course at qmul.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending