The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6140
Original post by tehFrance
Bitteschön :h:

Ah really? Damn :lol: I just read a couple of articles in Norwegian and I seem to be able to get the jist of things so I may go with it rather than Swedish although I keep going to Stockholm but Norwegian is apparently easier to learn if you know English and German... so confusing :lol:

I'm afraid the main languages here are Spanish, French and German, with significant minorities in Italian and Chinese, along with Japanese, Danish and Portuguese. Perhaps you'd like to learn another language, or be the first Norwegian student here? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM
I'm afraid the main languages here are Spanish, French and German, with significant minorities in Italian and Chinese, along with Japanese, Danish and Portuguese. Perhaps you'd like to learn another language, or be the first Norwegian student here? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

& My 2nd language then?? :frown:

:grin: Tootoo
Reply 6142
Ich soll ein Wörterbuch kaufen....any suggestions??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM

Dammit :frown: I may end up doing Norwegian (or Swedish, I'll have to check out the learning materials) as I already know English, French, German, Italian and Russian... would rather have a Nordic language :cool:
Original post by Gilo98
Ich soll ein Wöterbuch kaufen....any suggestions??

Ja! Especially as you can't spell "Wörterbuch" it would seem :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yah, thats fine
Nous avons commencé. Mon mari m'a enseigné comment on compte.:colondollar:
Original post by Gilo98

It depends how comprehensive you want it to be. I have a Collins Easy Learning German Dictionary which is primarily aimed at GCSE/A level students. I have a very large Oxford Duden concise dictionary which is a bit too complicated for my current needs. I'd visit your local bookshop and see what they have to offer. :smile:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Nous avons commencé. Mon mari m'a enseigné comment on compte.:colondollar:

J'allais dire que pouvoir aider toi mais tu as un *hubby* qui peut t'enseigner :lol:
Reply 6147
Dammit :frown: I may end up doing Norwegian (or Swedish, I'll have to check out the learning materials) as I already know English, French, German, Italian and Russian... would rather have a Nordic language :cool:

:frown: I've edited it now :colondollar:

If you keep posting Nordic things, eventually someone will wanna know the hell you're on about, and you'll start a trend. :wink:
Reply 6149
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
It depends how comprehensive you want it to be. I have a Collins Easy Learning German Dictionary which is primarily aimed at GCSE/A level students. I have a very large Oxford Duden concise dictionary which is a bit too complicated for my current needs. I'd visit your local bookshop and see what they have to offer. :smile:

Will do, think I will get the easy learning one
Original post by Gilo98
Collins are always good.

This one perhaps? http://www.collinseducation.com/titles/47504/collins-german-dictionary-and-grammar-sixth-edition-9780007323166
Original post by L'Evil Fish
J'allais dire que pouvoir aider toi mais tu as un *hubby* qui peut t'enseigner :lol:

Hubby? Euw. Je ne suis pas d'imbecile à la facebook!

I think he would explode if I picked an A-level student over him, sorry!
Original post by Gilo98
:frown: I've edited it now :colondollar:

:lol: Get a Collins dictionary, they've always served me well :wink:
Original post by constantmeowage
If you keep posting Nordic things, eventually someone will wanna know the hell you're on about, and you'll start a trend. :wink:

Yeah I suppose, I just found a thread on another forum about "Danish, Norwegian and Swedish mutual intelligibility" which the majority seem to think that Danish is a no go for a beginner of Nordic languages, Norwegian is the best due to it being middle ground and setting you off on the path towards Danish and Swedish language skills and Swedish is the most widely spoken one out of the lot so in terms of getting materials and actually talking to people, Swedish is the one to go for but for a better all around understanding of Nordic languages I should start with Norwegian so it would appear that tomorrow, I start with Swedish :lol:

Beat you to it, Octo! :tongue:

Yeah I suppose, I just found a thread on another forum about "Danish, Norwegian and Swedish mutual intelligibility" which the majority seem to think that Danish is a no go for a beginner of Nordic languages, Norwegian is the best due to it being middle ground and setting you off on the path towards Danish and Swedish language skills and Swedish is the most widely spoken one out of the lot so in terms of getting materials and actually talking to people, Swedish is the one to go for but for a better all around understanding of Nordic languages I should start with Norwegian so it would appear that tomorrow, I start with Swedish :lol:

Eh? If Norwegian is the middle ground then shouldn't you study Norwegian and not Swedish? Your post roughly sums up what I have read about the nordic languages. Actually, I've heard Danish described as 'a mixture of guttural sounds, spoken as if one has a hot potato in your mouth', haha! Though I doubt that to be true it made me laugh. Don't forget with Norwegian, you have Bokmal and Nynorsk. Reading up about the two makes for an interesting read.
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Eh? If Norwegian is the middle ground then shouldn't you study Norwegian and not Swedish? Your post roughly sums up what I have read about the nordic languages. Actually, I've heard Danish described as 'a mixture of guttural sounds, spoken as if one has a hot potato in your mouth', haha! Though I doubt that to be true it made me laugh. Don't forget with Norwegian, you have Bokmal and Nynorsk. Reading up about the two makes for an interesting read.

I said that I'd start with Swedish as well, Rosetta Stone has Swedish, most materials are in Swedish compared to Norwegian. All said and done though, at the end of the day I do know a couple of Norwegians so it perhaps is better to go with Norwegian, I'll go into Waterstones tomorrow and see what's on offer before making my mind up :smile:

Ah yes Bokmål or Nynorsk, if you want to be understood, Bokmål is the one you learn if I understood correctly :wink:

Eh, all three are on the American Foreign Service Institute's chart of "23-24 weeks" whereas German is ranked as "30 weeks"!

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

Personally, I will retain Danish on my own language list, because for some reason I feel interested in it!

Beat you to it, Octo!
:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6156

Yep, that ones looks good, will have a look at it in town tomorrow

yeah the french ones seem to be very good
Kannst du mein Franzoesisch korrigieren, bitte?

Bien que mon mari dise qu'il veut enseigner "pre-GCSE algebra" à moi.
I only just noticed that I didn't conect the que and il first time around, so.... aargh...
(edited 10 years ago)
Eh, all three are on the American Foreign Service Institute's chart of "23-24 weeks" whereas German is ranked as "30 weeks"!

Personally, I will retain Danish on my own language list, because for some reason I feel interested in it!

Language learning time is irrelevant, I've yet to meet someone that fits that guide in terms of learning a language enough to get around with. Danish is purely harder based on pronunciation of words compared to Norwegian or Swedish. That's up to you whether you learn it or not but personally I'd stay away as what I've been reading scares me too much :lol:
Original post by Gilo98
Yeah the french ones seem to be very good

The German ones also :wink:
I said that I'd start with Swedish as well, Rosetta Stone has Swedish, most materials are in Swedish compared to Norwegian. All said and done though, at the end of the day I do know a couple of Norwegians so it perhaps is better to go with Norwegian, I'll go into Waterstones tomorrow and see what's on offer before making my mind up :smile:

Ah yes Bokmål or Nynorsk, if you want to be understood, Bokmål is the one you learn if I understood correctly :wink:

Do you use Rosetta Stone? I've never used it, but even if I liked I think it's very expensive. Regarding the text in bold; I bet that you come out of Waterstones tomorrow with an armful of both Swedish and Norwegian books! A linguist in a bookshop about to choose their next language is like a greedy fat kid in a cake shop; he wants everything he sees! :biggrin:

Hmm, meowage has a point. Perhaps I can destable the thread by collaborating with a few other members to post in some obscure language like...Manx. :ninja:

The conditions for those milestones were created with very optimistic and conducive environments in mind...but I love the fact that the German language has its only special little category. A testament to it's gruelling grammar, obviously. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending