The Student Room Group

Does bullying happen in college?

I'm so worried, Im going college next year and in high school I get bullied so bad because of my speech impediments... hopefully people mature in college, right...? :confused::confused:
Well you'll probably get a lot more freedom in college, since you have lots of frees and stuff...so even if you don't like your classmates you don't need to be near them at any means.
Reply 2
Well, bullying occurs everywhere (even in the workplace).

If you go to college, you tend to meet new people who are different, so I guess it's more accepting (I may be wrong)??
Also, people who are older TEND to be more mature and supportive, so yes, bullying could be less common.

I'm not speaking from experience, I'm going into sixth form next year, I'm just speaking from what I've seen from induction days! :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for your fast replies guys, just joined this forum and it's astonishing how popular it is!
Reply 4
Original post by iSeeYouBarf
Thanks for your fast replies guys, just joined this forum and it's astonishing how popular it is!

No problemo! :smile:
If you stick around,you'll soon begin to see just how epic this place is :cool::cool::cool:
Original post by tohaaaa
Well, bullying occurs everywhere (even in the workplace).

If you go to college, you tend to meet new people who are different, so I guess it's more accepting (I may be wrong)??
Also, people who are older TEND to be more mature and supportive, so yes, bullying could be less common.

I'm not speaking from experience, I'm going into sixth form next year, I'm just speaking from what I've seen from induction days! :smile:

Well said.

I'm so worried, Im going college next year and in high school I get bullied so bad because of my speech impediments... hopefully people mature in college, right...? :confused::confused:

I wouldn't worry. Colleges are not like sixth forms. Everyone is treated as an adult, as long as you act like one. I.e, don't turn up to class without basic equipment, neglect to complete your assignments or homework etc. I'm a mature student who has been at college for 2 years and the environment is great. There are students from all ethnicities and religions and in my experience most people are accepting. There was a chap on my course last year who had a speech impediment. He would stutter quite badly, had a lisp and became nervous very easy which just made it worse. The tutors and fellow classmates were very supportive and now he is probably one of the most popular students on campus because he is so outgoing and confident.

Most colleges have a good student support base dealing with a large range of issues so I wouldn't let it cast any shadow over your time at college. You're there to learn and have fun! :smile:

TSR is great, but it has its fair share of losers. Be aware of how addicting this place is overwise your grades will suffer in no time! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Bullying occurs everywhere, even randomly in public! I guess you just need to pick the right friends who won't bully you.
Reply 7
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Well said.

I wouldn't worry. Colleges are not like sixth forms. Everyone is treated as an adult, as long as you act like one. I.e, don't turn up to class without basic equipment, neglect to complete your assignments or homework etc. I'm a mature student who has been at college for 2 years and the environment is great. There are students from all ethnicities and religions and in my experience most people are accepting. There was a chap on my course last year who had a speech impediment. He would stutter quite badly, had a lisp and became nervous very easy which just made it worse. The tutors and fellow classmates were very supportive and now he is probably one of the most popular students on campus because he is so outgoing and confident.

Most colleges have a good student support base dealing with a large range of issues so I wouldn't let it cast any shadow over your time at college. You're there to learn and have fun! :smile:

TSR is great, but it has its fair share of losers. Be aware of how addicting this place is overwise your grades will suffer in no time! :tongue:

Yeah I stutter quite a lot and I'm very embarrassed over it, had speech therapy for like 13 years but nothings working :/. I also hate speaking in front of classes because I'm afraid people will laugh..
Yeah I stutter quite a lot and I'm very embarrassed over it, had speech therapy for like 13 years but nothings working :/. I also hate speaking in front of classes because I'm afraid people will laugh..

Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself! If anything, student services should help people in place to help you. I would advise you to speak to them if I were you. Most decent teachers would call bullies out on their behaviour if they witness it. That's the good thing about colleges, if a student is becoming a problem or generally not conducive to a good learning environment they can quite easily be expelled.
Reply 9
Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself! If anything, student services should help people in place to help you. I would advise you to speak to them if I were you. Most decent teachers would call bullies out on their behaviour if they witness it. That's the good thing about colleges, if a student is becoming a problem or generally not conducive to a good learning environment they can quite easily be expelled.

Do colleges have mentors in lessons like I do in school because I have other disabilities?
Do colleges have mentors in lessons like I do in school because I have other disabilities?

I can't answer that question definitely as it varies from college to college. The college I attend has teaching assistants who are prescribed to students who need them, they also have staff in place to deal with students who have disabilities or learning impairments. The best thing to do would be to go into your college and speak to their student services department or team, as they will be able to answer any questions they have. :smile:
Reply 11
I can't answer that question definitely as it varies from college to college. The college I attend has teaching assistants who are prescribed to students who need them, they also have staff in place to deal with students who have disabilities or learning impairments. The best thing to do would be to go into your college and speak to their student services department or team, as they will be able to answer any questions they have. :smile:

I'm sure I will be able to get one, I have dyspraxia which effects my learning hell of a lot.
Reply 12
Original post by username321708
Well said.I wouldn't worry. Colleges are not like sixth forms. Everyone is treated as an adult, as long as you act like one. I.e, don't turn up to class without basic equipment, neglect to complete your assignments or homework etc. I'm a mature student who has been at college for 2 years and the environment is great. There are students from all ethnicities and religions and in my experience most people are accepting. There was a chap on my course last year who had a speech impediment. He would stutter quite badly, had a lisp and became nervous very easy which just made it worse. The tutors and fellow classmates were very supportive and now he is probably one of the most popular students on campus because he is so outgoing and confident.Most colleges have a good student support base dealing with a large range of issues so I wouldn't let it cast any shadow over your time at college. You're there to learn and have fun! :smile:TSR is great, but it has its fair share of losers. Be aware of how addicting this place is overwise your grades will suffer in no time! :tongue:
My grandson is in the second year at college and is being bullied , he is a good student he is quiet and because of this one boy never gives him any peace calling him name's saying he is fat ugly ect ect my grandson is so up set about this and doesn't want to go to college it is making him lose all his confidence the boy is much bigger than my grandson , what can you suggest I feel so helpless and need to help him with this problem .
Reply 13
Further educational colleges and adult educational colleges are pretty hot on things like bullying and discrimination - they just don't stand for it. They expect all students to behave like adults

Quick Reply

Latest