The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
I have loads of friends that lived in Mary Gee and really enjoyed it becasue they found it really sociable :smile: Most of them are living in houses with them in 2nd and 3 year aswell. I found that it is more about the people than the accomodation anyway :smile:

Original post by TooMuchG
Thank's for the quick reply very informative :smile:, last question how is the social life/ atmosphere over there?

I really don't mind that its a bit old and cheap, tbh its one of the reasons why I accepted the offer saving a few 100 quid as well as money on travel is helpful especially in my situation :-).

Isn't it the people that make it a sociable place? :redface:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 921
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
What's Nixon court like? Is it mainly post grads and international?

It's mixed between all three; PG, International and UG. I lived at Opal (practically the sister of Nixon) and I found it to be mainly international/UG. I knew someone at Nixon who would say the same. Obviously they try and place you in a flat with similar students so don't be that afraid. Nixon is great for three reasons; 5/10 mins away from uni, closer to local amenities (morrisons is 5 mins away and town is about a 25 minute walk) and there's a pub about 2 minutes away from the main blocks, ahha. Obviously the closeness to uni is a big bonus on nights at the union. (It'll save taxi fares if you have someone to walk back with) I would say if you want a more sociable living quarters though, I'd go for Oadby. Plus Nixon has only been half renovated. If you live in the renovated blocks they're amazing (expensive too!) but the other blocks are standard student living quarters.
Please can someone help me?? I've been given Catered Accommodation. which I didn't want, and I'm trying to look for information about it now like what meals you get, money on a card which you should use each day/week? ... Anything like that please it would really help cause I need to accept it but I'd like to know what I'm getting into,

Thankyou
Original post by Jessicalouisee_
Please can someone help me?? I've been given Catered Accommodation. which I didn't want, and I'm trying to look for information about it now like what meals you get, money on a card which you should use each day/week? ... Anything like that please it would really help cause I need to accept it but I'd like to know what I'm getting into,

Thankyou

I'm in the exact same position! I put down self-catered for all my options and they give me a catered room -__- It's more expensive aswell :mad:
Reply 924
I had catered halls at Leicester in first year when I originally applied for self catered. You have 2 meals a day every day of the week, monday to friday its breakfast (which is both continental and cooked breakfast) and an evening meal- there are usually 3 choices one vegetarian and 2 meat dishes. They also usually have jacket potatoes and salad every night and a desert aswel. At weekends its brunch and an evening meal :smile: Plenty of choices so you don't go hungry. There is also little kitchens with microwaves so you can make lunch if you want :smile:
Original post by TheDictator
I'm in the exact same position! I put down self-catered for all my options and they give me a catered room -__- It's more expensive aswell :mad:
I know they first put me in a catered which would have cost me over 5 grand but I couldn't afford it so they put me in a cheaper catered .... What hall are you in??
Original post by Annies23
I had catered halls at Leicester in first year when I originally applied for self catered. You have 2 meals a day every day of the week, monday to friday its breakfast (which is both continental and cooked breakfast) and an evening meal- there are usually 3 choices one vegetarian and 2 meat dishes. They also usually have jacket potatoes and salad every night and a desert aswel. At weekends its brunch and an evening meal :smile: Plenty of choices so you don't go hungry. There is also little kitchens with microwaves so you can make lunch if you want :smile:

Oh ok Thankyou for this :smile: ...... Did you enjoy having catered??
Hi! Which ensuite self catered accommodation is closest to the main campus? thanks!! xxx
Reply 928
Original post by igcsecrazy
Hi! Which ensuite self catered accommodation is closest to the main campus? thanks!! xxx

Opal or Nixon I would say.
Reply 929
Original post by TheDictator

Works out cheaper overall. Think it's about 90 quid a term more, there is no way you'll only spend 90 quid on food over the course of 10 weeks.

Plenty of people I know wanted self originally and were glad they got catered, it's more sociable too as a general rule.
Hiya, for those of you who are in Catered the accommodation office just sent me this link about catered food (I requested it) .... There is also an example menu on there for Winter 2013 ..... http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommo...inment-1/menus
Is it uncommon for first year to go for city accommodation?
The thing is I want to be near the university!

Thanks xx
Reply 932
Does anyone know what Lasdun House is like on the inside? Unfortunately I never had the chance to look around and it wasn't my first choice so I don't really know anything about it.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 933
So I've been located in the city for my accommodation (Opal Court to be exact).

I was really hoping for acc. in one of the Oadby places (all the city places were my lowest priority choices).

Is there any way I can try to change this by contacting the somebody in the Uni? or is it kinda a lost cause?

I heard Oadby is better for the social side of things and so this is why I was hoping to be there as opposed to the city...

Any help? Thanks
Hey, I've just got accepted to Leicester to do Biological Sciences this year (YAY), and my accommodation offer is in Digby Hall (Blue Block, self-catered), which is great :biggrin:

Nobody's really saying much about Digby or blue block.. what's it like there? I went to the open day but it was months ago and all the accommodation has just blurred together. Somebody's mentioned it's just been renovated or something? Is this true?

Anyone else in blue block this year? I'm in room 1 on the ground floor, ha.
Reply 935
Anyone got an offer for Digby Hall, Orange Block?
Never looked round it when I visited the uni so don't know what to expect!
Reply 936
Anyone else in John foster foxton building?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 937
Anyone else in Lasdun? :smile:
So I got into Leicester as my insurance but means I've been given really rubbish accommodation, I got no ensuite and I'm on city living (Nixon Court). I know I wasn't gonna get what I wanted exactly because of it being my insurance but I'm thinking it's gonna be rubbish living on city living with all the postgrads when I'm an undergrad.

I just wanted to get some opinions on this and whether it's worth ringing up and begging to see if they have ANYTHING at the student village or not?
Hi I've been put in Digby Hall for accommodation, yellow block, first floor, flat 4, room G, anyone near me? :smile: also does anybody know how many people which will share a bathroom in there? thanks:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending